    need to install a plugin?

    I know there's a way of showing all the firefox prefs on a form but
    can't remember how to do that.

    Chris Hope, May 19, 2005

  2. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > How do you suppress the referer info in firefox?
    >
    > I need to test something and I know it can be done but I can't seem to
    > create the right query for Google to give me the answer, and I can't
    > seem to find an option for it in the prefs. Is it an option or do you
    > need to install a plugin?
    >
    > I know there's a way of showing all the firefox prefs on a form but
    > can't remember how to do that.

    OK so I found out how to find all the preferences. You type
    "about:config" into the address bar.

    There's a setting there called network.http.sendRefererHeader which
    defaults to 2. I tried setting it to 1 and then it stopped sending the
    referer info.

    Chris Hope, May 19, 2005

  3. In article <d6hbha$5bk$>,
    Chris Hope <> wrote:

    >There's a setting there called network.http.sendRefererHeader which
    >defaults to 2. I tried setting it to 1 and then it stopped sending the
    >referer info.

    The very first credit card payment company I worked with used the
    refer(r)er info as part of their "security" to ensure that the customer
    was being directed to their site from our shop site.

    Funnily enough, that company is no longer in business...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2005
  4. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <d6hbha$5bk$>,
    > Chris Hope <> wrote:
    >
    >>There's a setting there called network.http.sendRefererHeader which
    >>defaults to 2. I tried setting it to 1 and then it stopped sending the
    >>referer info.

    > The very first credit card payment company I worked with used the
    > refer(r)er info as part of their "security" to ensure that the
    > customer was being directed to their site from our shop site.

    I wonder if that was actually a typo (ie referer vs referrer) that made
    it into the HTTP spec or if they decided to spell it that way on
    purpose?

    > Funnily enough, that company is no longer in business...

    Yes, you can never *ever* trust the referer header.

    I had a friend try to catch me out one day by passing all sorts of silly
    referers and user agents to my site. I was being particularly nosy
    about visitors at the time so he had a good chuckle.

    Chris Hope, May 19, 2005
  5. In article <d6hdg8$92r$>,
    Chris Hope <> wrote:

    >I wonder if that was actually a typo (ie referer vs referrer) that made
    >it into the HTTP spec or if they decided to spell it that way on
    >purpose?

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by
    stupidity."

    I think it was a typo. Technical types often seem to have a
    lower-than-average standard of spelling.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2005