    have a 2nd license key which I never got?

    Many Thanks,

    Dave

    David Sharp, Jul 3, 2010

  2. David Sharp

    David Sharp Guest

    Thanks for the quick reply. My understanding is that at retail you simply
    buy "Windows 7 Home Premium" and it comes with the two DVDs, one for 64 bit
    and one for 32 bit. I might understand that once you have made your choice
    you're stuck, but where you have entered a product key you have not yet even
    established internet connectivity.

    I believe what you are saying is that I should have two product keys. I've
    fired off an email to Microsoft and will hopefully get this resolved.

    David Sharp, Jul 3, 2010

  3. David Sharp

    Drew Guest

    Drew, Jul 3, 2010
  4. I have the same copy (boxed retail) and it is one key in the box, and it
    works with both 32- and 64-bit. But only one at a time.

    --

    XP x64 SP2 - Vista x64 SP2 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 in tripleboot

    Maratonmannen, Jul 3, 2010
  5. You should have only one product key. You may only have either the 32 or
    64-bit installed at any time, but may switch between them as often as
    you like.

    If the key does not work for the 64-bit DVD, install without entering a
    key, which gives you a 30-day trial, and use telephone activation.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 3, 2010
  6. David Sharp

    David Sharp Guest

    Hi James,

    I was replacing the hard disk in my laptop with a new one so it was a full
    install.

    Dave

    David Sharp, Jul 3, 2010
  7. David Sharp

    Jerry Guest

    One key and I used it to install the 32-bit and 64-bit versions in separate
    partitions - been that way for months and no problems have popped up.

    Jerry, Jul 3, 2010
  8. And if you read your End User License Agreement (EULA) is specifically
    states there can be one, and only one, installation with a single key.

    2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
    a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the
    software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed
    computer.”
    b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two
    processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless
    otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the
    software on any other computer.
    c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license
    terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
    d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than
    one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use
    only one version at one time.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 3, 2010
  9. David Sharp

    Jerry Guest

    Correct - one copy per computer. I have one computer, one hard drive, two
    partitions - therefore I can only use one copy at a time as I can only boot
    into one operating system on one computer at a time. That's what the
    agreement says - in plain English.

    Jerry, Jul 4, 2010
  10. It's too bad you don't comprehend the English language better.
    (a.) States "...one copy on one computer."

    If you have two partitions, one with 32-bit and one with 64-bit, that is
    TWO (2)! One plus One equals Two

    A direct violation of the EULA.

    (d.) States "you may install and use only one version at one time."

    If you install 32-bit and 64-bit that is TWO (2) installs!

    A direct violation of the EULA

    Nowhere does it mention "...boot into one operating system on one
    computer at a time."

    Most courts don't accept ignorance as a plea of innocence. Especially
    since you must agree to acceptance of the EULA at some point to complete
    the installation.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 4, 2010
  11. <snipped>

    Jerry wrote:
    > Correct - one copy per computer. I have one computer, one hard
    > drive, two partitions - therefore I can only use one copy at a time
    > as I can only boot into one operating system on one computer at a
    > time. That's what the agreement says - in plain English.

    That would be true if the EULA stated you could only use/run/operate one
    copy at a time. It states you can only *install and use* - so you can, in
    accordance with the EULA, have only one copy installed *and* use that one
    copy.

    If it said "install or use", then you would have an argument. The *and*
    means that both cases must be true: *install* and *use*.

    As far as any problems showing up just because you have been able to do it -
    that's a moot point. I can steal all sorts of things and no problems will
    show up if I am 'smart' about it. Doesn't mean I am doing anything
    legitimate - just means I have found the loophole - whether or not that
    loophole should actually just be a 'proper way to use' is another question -
    but that is not one for discussion here in the Windows 64-bit General
    newsgroup, IMO.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jul 4, 2010
  12. David Sharp

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 04/07/2010 in message <#f$> Bobby
    Johnson wrote:

    >Most courts don't accept ignorance as a plea of innocence. Especially
    >since you must agree to acceptance of the EULA at some point to complete
    >the installation.

    It will depend on the Law in whatever country the OP is in. This question
    has come up many times before and certainly in England, and probably
    Europe, the courts tend to treat software rather like a book - if it can
    only be read by ne person at a time then that is OK.

    Certainly we don't kow-tow to MSFT or any other company, if they apply
    restrictions that the courts feel to be unreasonable or unfair they will
    not be upheld by the court. I don't get the impression that American law
    takes the same pragmatic approach.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 4, 2010
  13. David Sharp

    Lorne Guest

    > It's too bad you don't comprehend the English language better.
    > (a.) States "...one copy on one computer."
    >
    > If you have two partitions, one with 32-bit and one with 64-bit, that is
    > TWO (2)! One plus One equals Two
    >
    > A direct violation of the EULA.
    >
    > (d.) States "you may install and use only one version at one time."
    >
    > If you install 32-bit and 64-bit that is TWO (2) installs!
    >
    > A direct violation of the EULA
    >
    > Nowhere does it mention "...boot into one operating system on one computer
    > at a time."
    >
    > Most courts don't accept ignorance as a plea of innocence. Especially
    > since you must agree to acceptance of the EULA at some point to complete
    > the installation.

    Most courts will not rule this way because there is also an overriding
    unfair contract terms law that allows courts to refuse companies the right
    to impose unreasonable restrictions whatever their conditions say. Here it
    is impossible to use both systems at the same time (as long as they are on
    one computer) so in most countries Microsoft would lose if they tried to
    prosecute a home user with this setup. They courts will just say that
    common sense interprets their EULA to mean one user can use either operating
    system and if the user has both installed in a way that only one can be used
    at any time that is OK. I am basing this on experience in Europe - the USA
    may be different.

    Lorne, Jul 6, 2010