Suppose you wanted the crap micosoft....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by USB Port 0, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. USB Port 0

    USB Port 0 Guest

    stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
    like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
    up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
    and sound that makes no sense at all.

    Suppose you would desire this. With some stupid message
    stating that is you delete this folder/file that states 'perhaps
    some programs will not work if you delete this'. Dammit.

    I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
    I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.

    So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
    perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?

    Windows XP 1.20 GB of memory (that can be disputed).
    30 GB internal HD, 80 GB external. Dell Inspiron 1200, 1.33
    race car.

    Enticed with AGV, Anti-Vir, Spy-bot, Registry Mechanic,
    CCleaner, simple stuff.

    Also is there a method to allow one to boot the system from
    external drive?

    And M. Kwan pulled out. Groin problems. Jez, women and
    their 'plumbing'!.

    Apolo, Chad. Kick ass and take names. peace.

    Thanks in advance. USB Port0. God bless the yanks, limeys,
    and kanucks. Womens hockey. Tell canada to take a 50 outta
    petty cash and buy some cuban cigars. Smoke one for me.
    Illegal here. Dammit.
    USB Port 0, Feb 12, 2006

  2. USB Port 0

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:QNKHf.17704$ "USB Port
    0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote:

    > stuffed upon you computer removed?

    I would suggest you install a minimally configured instance of Linux or
    FreeBSD.

    Then you can pick and choose just what applications you want to have
    installed, find them, download them and do what's needed to get them
    running.

    You'll probably get the opportunity to build many of the applications
    yourself and fix any bugs you find.

    On my news server, there are over 350 newsgroups devoted to Linux and
    over 180 devoted to FreeBSD, so I'm sure you'll find lots of friends.

    Have fun!

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Feb 12, 2006

  3. USB Port 0

    Kenny Guest

    I believe there's an XP Lite but it's only available in poorer countries.
    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1002

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Feb 12, 2006
  4. USB Port 0

    Deano Guest

    USB Port 0 wrote:
    > stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
    > like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
    > up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
    > and sound that makes no sense at all.
    >
    > Suppose you would desire this. With some stupid message
    > stating that is you delete this folder/file that states 'perhaps
    > some programs will not work if you delete this'. Dammit.
    >
    > I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
    > I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
    >
    > So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
    > perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?
    >
    > Windows XP 1.20 GB of memory (that can be disputed).
    > 30 GB internal HD, 80 GB external. Dell Inspiron 1200, 1.33
    > race car.
    >
    > Enticed with AGV, Anti-Vir, Spy-bot, Registry Mechanic,
    > CCleaner, simple stuff.
    >
    > Also is there a method to allow one to boot the system from
    > external drive?

    For me since I run multiple installs of Windows off the same hard disk I can
    boot into a setup that is suitable for what I need. My development stuff is
    one and has precious little in the way of graphics/media software. Another
    is loaded up with that kind of stuff including music players, others are
    used for testing.

    If you have something like this you don't have to worry too much about how
    lean your PC is - if something goes wrong I can restore an image or copy one
    computer over another. Before I install something I tend to quickly image
    the computer then restore later if needed.

    Else if this is about a dislike of Windows then you can try Linux and avoid
    all of Microsoft's crap.
    Deano, Feb 12, 2006
  5. On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:05:36 +0000, USB Port 0 wrote:

    > stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
    > like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
    > up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
    > and sound that makes no sense at all.
    >
    > Suppose you would desire this. With some stupid message
    > stating that is you delete this folder/file that states 'perhaps
    > some programs will not work if you delete this'. Dammit.
    >
    > I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
    > I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
    >
    > So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
    > perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?

    Windows is not needed. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 12, 2006
  6. USB Port 0

    Doc Guest

    "USB Port 0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote in news:QNKHf.17704
    $:

    > I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
    > I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.

    Microsoft gave you the OPTION of putting it there.

    > So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
    > perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?

    Reformat, then re-install using the CUSTOM option. Then you can choose what
    you want to install.
    Doc, Feb 12, 2006
  7. USB Port 0

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:kALHf.144384$ Doc
    <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    > "USB Port 0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote in news:QNKHf.17704
    > $:
    >

    >> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
    >> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
    >>

    > Microsoft gave you the OPTION of putting it there.
    >
    >> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
    >> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?
    >>

    > Reformat, then re-install using the CUSTOM option. Then you can choose
    > what you want to install.

    Assuming the OP wants to stay with Windows, a less drastic option would
    be to go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and then select
    "Add/Remove Windows Components" and get rid of the optional pieces he
    doesn't want.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Feb 12, 2006
  8. USB Port 0 wrote:

    > stuffed upon you computer removed? Suppose you would
    > like to get rid of all the noise and nonsense that sucks
    > up your GB's. All those DLL's, Exe, sloppy gifs, jpegs,
    > and sound that makes no sense at all.

    You did smoke cool stuff and are in high mood?

    > I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
    > I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.

    Some installer you started, did it. Maybe as a prerequisite or did you
    forget to uncheck the occasional "goodie" offered with freeware ...

    > So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
    > perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?

    A good knoppix cdrom and a usb stick to save personal data. Forget your
    harddrive.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Feb 12, 2006
  9. USB Port 0

    Dave Keays Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > "USB Port 0" <meeet.me@ the fire.hydrant> wrote in news:QNKHf.17704
    > $:
    >
    >> I have slop upon my HD that I have no idea why it is needed.
    >> I didn't put it there. Microsoft did.
    >>

    > Microsoft gave you the OPTION of putting it there.

    I have a broken thread here, so ignore me if I'm off-- I mean if my post is off!

    Anyway; neither Winbook, HP, nor MS gave me the option of what not to install or
    what not to install on the 2 machines that uses XP. In both cases I was coerced
    into accepting what the vendor and MS wanted me to have. The only other option
    was to not by the hardware.

    >> So, within your astute knowledge. Your concern for the
    >> perfectly clean 'puter, what is needed and what is not?
    >>

    > Reformat, then re-install using the CUSTOM option. Then you can choose what
    > you want to install.

    What if that is not an option?

    If I need to re-install another OS will go on my 2 XP machines because I am not
    going to spend money on another copy of WindowsXP. I don't have the repair CD on
    one machine and I accidentally wiped out the vendors partition on the other.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing MS. My decision has more to do with my
    wallet size than their business style or the quality of their software.

    --

    Dave Keays
    Dave Keays, Feb 12, 2006