    believe can support more than 2 processors compared to the 64bit edition of
    Windows xp.

    Regards

    =?Utf-8?B?LS0gSmFtZXMgLS0=?=, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports up to 2 physical processors
    and up to 4 cores (two dual core processors).

    There's no real performance advantage of Server 2003 x64 compared to XP
    x64, considering XP x64 is built off the Server 2003 x64 codebase ;-).

    --
    Ryan Hoffman
    Extended64.com - http://www.extended64.com

    Windows x64 Support Forums: http://www.extended64.com/Forums/
    Extended64.com's Windows x64 Blogs: http://www.extended64.com/Blogs/

    Ryan Hoffman [Extended64.com], Jun 9, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?LS0gSmFtZXMgLS0=?=

    Rick Guest

    According to a response that was posted here, or the other CPP group,
    Win x64 is licensed for sockets and a board with 2 dual-core CPUs is
    supposed to work with Win XP Pro x64, seeing 4 CPUs in the Task Manager.

    Rick, Jun 9, 2005
  4. "Ryan Hoffman [Extended64.com]" <> wrote in message
    > Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports up to 2 physical processors
    > and up to 4 cores (two dual core processors).
    >
    > There's no real performance advantage of Server 2003 x64 compared to XP
    > x64, considering XP x64 is built off the Server 2003 x64 codebase ;-).

    That is not strictly true.
    There are differences in the memory and process scheduling and management
    between the 2 systems.
    The XP product is optimized for foreground application workloads while the
    Server products are optimized for background (server) tasks.
    So the performance profile would depends on the workload being proposed for
    this system.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 9, 2005
  5. "-- James --" <-- James > wrote in message
    >I would be interested to know if Windows 64bit Edition is capable of
    > supporting a dual core ready mother board with two opteron processors.
    > Would
    > windows take advantage of the dual core opertons?
    >
    > Would there be a performance difference running Windows server 2003 which
    > believe can support more than 2 processors compared to the 64bit edition
    > of
    > Windows xp.

    If you were running on the same hardware platform then you would see a
    performance difference in running XP or the Server x64 products.
    There are differences in the memory and process scheduling and management
    between the 2 systems.
    The XP product is optimized for foreground application workloads while the
    Server products are optimized for background (server) tasks.
    So the performance profile/difference you would see depends on the workload

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 9, 2005
  6. Should the applications also matter according to the OS? For instance, you
    won't see Microsoft Word save your documents any faster, but for Server apps
    such SQL you see better performance in terms of the amount of transactions
    it can handle, right Mike?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 9, 2005
  7. I also believe it supports 2 threads per core, so you might have up to 8
    concurrent threads alltogether.
    What puzzles me is the 128GB RAM limit in XP Pro for 2 sockets, unless some
    socket F Opteron with 32GB DDR3 dedicated per core. At present, I can't see a
    way to offer more than 32GB to XP64...

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 9, 2005
  8. "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >I also believe it supports 2 threads per core, so you might have up to 8
    > concurrent threads alltogether.
    > What puzzles me is the 128GB RAM limit in XP Pro for 2 sockets, unless
    > some
    > socket F Opteron with 32GB DDR3 dedicated per core. At present, I can't
    > see a
    > way to offer more than 32GB to XP64...

    The memory limits on our 64-bit products are only really based on what the
    hardware vendors have been able to provide us to test on, which as you can
    see is the really limiting factor today (number of slots and size of memory
    sticks).

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 9, 2005
  9. "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

    > The memory limits on our 64-bit products are only really based on what the
    > hardware vendors have been able to provide us to test on, which as you can
    > see is the really limiting factor today (number of slots and size of memory
    > sticks).
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    I wonder what hardware was provided that could allow as much as 128GB with 2
    processors...

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 9, 2005
  10. "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> The memory limits on our 64-bit products are only really based on what
    >> the
    >> hardware vendors have been able to provide us to test on, which as you
    >> can
    >> see is the really limiting factor today (number of slots and size of
    >> memory
    >> sticks).
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Mike
    >> --
    >> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
    >>

    > I wonder what hardware was provided that could allow as much as 128GB with
    > 2
    > processors...

    Unfortunately I am not at liberty to discuss the hardware that has been
    supplied to us, as some of it is not available commercially yet.
    but for example an IBM eServer xSeries 460
    http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/xseries/x460.html

    Can scale up to 32 Intel Xeon with EM64T x64 CPUs with 512GB of RAM running
    our x64 operating system (XP up to 2 physical CPUs and Server 2003 all the
    way to 32).
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 9, 2005
  11. Chris, check out the iWill 16-Core System with 128gb of 4-Rank Netlist RAM:
    http://www.extended64.com/Article30.x64

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 9, 2005
  12. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
    > Chris, check out the iWill 16-Core System with 128gb of 4-Rank Netlist RAM:
    > http://www.extended64.com/Article30.x64
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >
    > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The memory limits on our 64-bit products are only really based on what
    > >> the
    > >> hardware vendors have been able to provide us to test on, which as you
    > >> can
    > >> see is the really limiting factor today (number of slots and size of
    > >> memory
    > >> sticks).
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Mike
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
    > >>

    > > I wonder what hardware was provided that could allow as much as 128GB with
    > > 2
    > > processors...

    I saw it on the first day, Andre ; my point is that if you ran XP64 on that
    machine, it would only support the first two Opterons, each addressing a
    maximum of 16GB each, so only 32GB is visible to XP Pro.

    I then thought that maybe there was some Xeon chipset that would allow
    addressing the full 36-bit , but have not seen anything at BDCM/Serverworks,
    Intel, IBM.

    So the question remains : what dual socket rig could have been supplied to
    Microsoft that allowed XP64 to address 128GB ?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 10, 2005
  13. Chris,

    As I said in my post about the IBM system as an example (Message-ID:
    <>
    ), there are system available that support multiple x64 CPUs and huge
    amounts of memory that we can use to test our products on. We can then tune
    the products and release with the various limits etc you see today.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 11, 2005
  14. Thanks for the clarification, Mike !
    So more than likely XP Pro x64 was tested on an 8-processor motherboard,
    and then the HAL/mpkernel was "tuned" to limit to 2 processors/4 cores/8
    threads.
    It is great that the XP Pro limit was kept at 128GB, as future
    chipsets/processors with denser memories might get there soon for workstation
    users.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 11, 2005