  1. Can anyone please confirm for me whether or not Win XP Pro 64-bit can provide
    native driver support for a generic PCI Firewire card? I wanted to know
    before spending the cash on one.

    =?Utf-8?B?Tm9HaQ==?=, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Jud Hendrix had posted some information concerning Windows XP and Firewire
    and suspect the sam goes for x64 edition too:
    Windows XP SP1 did not support FireWire800 (1394b). Nevertheless, it
    worked, although the full performance of FireWire 800 wasn't achieved
    in some cases. With the release of Service Pack 2, Microsoft decided
    to no longer 'ignore' FireWire 800, but to treat it correctly
    according to the current OHCI specifications (Open Host Controller
    Interface). For Microsoft, at this time 'correctly' means switching to
    the slowest transfer mode S100, equalling 100 Mbit per second, for
    reasons of safety and compatibility.

    Microsoft quotes unclear OHCI specifications as the reason for this
    slow down. Indeed OHCI does not clearly define 1394b. Current FireWire
    800 chips send a 2-bit speed code of 0x3 (instead of 0x2 = S400) in
    the Self-ID-Packet 0. But OHCI only knows this code as 'reserved'. At
    a second glance, however, it becomes obvious that Microsoft have
    simply not looked closely enough, because there are additional
    Self-ID-Packets being sent. Self-ID-packet 8 correctly specifies the
    speed with the three-bit code 0x3 = S800. Packet 8 had been already
    defined in the '1394a supplement', and is therefore not an innovation
    of FireWire 800.

    Microsoft's proceeding is thus at least controversial. In any case,
    it's a prime example of a somewhat unworldly bureaucratic-mindedness.
    Since there are no devices that only support S100, the need to
    throttle the bus speed does not actually exist. At least we do not
    know of any such devices, and as it seems Microsoft did not make this
    change because of actual complaints about incompatibilities. One is
    simply left wondering...

    Here is some additional information about using Firwire with Windows XP
    64-Bit Edition (I suspect thats for Itanium though).
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 12, 2005

  3. No one can confirm that a "generic PCI firewire card" will be supported. How
    could we know what hardware is actually in it? We _can_ confirm that there
    is native 1394 support in XP Pro x64 Edition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 12, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Tm9HaQ==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:23:46 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >No one can confirm that a "generic PCI firewire card" will be supported. How
    >could we know what hardware is actually in it? We _can_ confirm that there
    >is native 1394 support in XP Pro x64 Edition.

    So that means that a generic firewirecard _is_ supported.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Sep 13, 2005
  5. No, that means that if your firewire chipset is supported, firewire will
    work. I had to load no special drivers to get firewire support on any of my
    machines. BUT, there may be a chipset out there that won't work. I don't
    know, and can't confirm one way or another.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 13, 2005
  6. I can say if the firewire chipset is from Texas Instruments it is supported
    natively in x64. Also, Unibrain has issued x64 drivers for their Firewire
    boards that support 1394b.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Sep 13, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Tm9HaQ==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Which means that the whole range of 939 socketed motherboards from Gigabyte
    are supported since they all use a Texas Instruments chipset AFAIK... (my
    GA-K8NXP-9 worked out of the x64 box...)

    Colin Nowell, Sep 13, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Tm9HaQ==?=

    Gatos Loco Guest

    <> wrote:

    >No one can confirm that a "generic PCI firewire card" will be supported. How
    >could we know what hardware is actually in it? We _can_ confirm that there
    >is native 1394 support in XP Pro x64 Edition.

    I don't know if this helps, but creatives audigy 2 platinum sound card
    has firewire. There are 64bit drivers for the sound card, so I am
    assuming the firewire on that works. I haven't actually used the
    firewire on the card so I don't know if it is working or not. But it
    does have it and drivers.

    If any of that helps.

    gato loco

    Gatos Loco, Sep 13, 2005
  9. The single largest supplier of 1394 chipsets is TI, so hitting that one
    alone gets you the vast majority of the possibilities.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 13, 2005