Support for Canon Powershot Pro 70 CRW files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ken Macksey, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Ken Macksey

    Ken Macksey Guest

    Hi.

    I have spent the better part of 2 days with Canon tech support via
    email and searching the internet for information and programs on
    converting Canon CRW files. The problem appears to be that Canon
    changed the CRW file format from the one used in the Powershot Pro 70
    to a newer format. Most of the programs I found including Canon's only
    supported the newer format. After trying many programs, mostly
    commercial programs,I finally found 1 program that works well with Pro
    70 CRW files. Below is the email I passed back to Canon tech support.
    I am posting this here in the hopes of helping someone else who may
    have the same problem.

    Regards

    Ken

    Hi

    I installed the Raw image converter and the viewer, but they do not
    seem to work at all with the older Canon Powershot Pro 70 CRW format.

    I have searched the internet and tried about 8 other programs that say
    they will convert Canon CRW files, but like the Canon converter, they
    only work with the newer CRW format and will not convert the older Pro
    70 CRW format files.

    I did however find one program that does work with the older CRW files
    and as a bonus, it is Freeware and can batch process files. I can
    upload my CRW file in about 2 seconds and drag and drop it on the
    program and it is copied to a tif in about 2.5 seconds leaving the
    original CRW file intact.

    That is under 5 seconds per file compared to 6 minutes per file with
    zoombrowser.

    The program is Yarc.exe and is available at
    http://www.pictureflow.com/YarcHomePage/yarc.htm

    Since Canon has abandoned us older customers, please at least pass
    this information on to others seeking support for Powershot Pro 70 CRW
    files.

    Regards

    Ken Macksey
    Ken Macksey, Aug 6, 2003

  2. On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:44:00 -0700, Ken Macksey wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have spent the better part of 2 days with Canon tech support via email
    > and searching the internet for information and programs on converting
    > Canon CRW files. The problem appears to be that Canon changed the CRW
    > file format from the one used in the Powershot Pro 70 to a newer format.
    > Most of the programs I found including Canon's only supported the newer
    > format.

    David Coffin's dcraw.c, an open source CRW decoder available from
    http://www2.primushost.com/~dcoffin/powershot/ also supports the Pro70.

    This is a classic example of why proprietary raw file formats are a very
    bad thing for end users. I really wish the collective manufacturers would
    release specs for their file formats. The Pro70 is only a few years old,
    and it's already become a digital dinosaur.

    Mike.
    Mike Brodbelt, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Ken Macksey

    Ken Macksey Guest

    Hi again

    Please forgive the spelling. Fat fingers!

    Hi

    Thanks for the info Mike. I went to Dave Coffins site and found the C
    code for dcraw but could not find any download of a compiled program
    anywhere. I do not have a "c" compiler. Is there any site that a working
    copy of dcraw can be downloaded from?

    Thanks

    Ken

    Ken Macksey, Aug 7, 2003