Supplier Recommedations for purchasing 2 Notebooks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jeremy, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Hi as per subject for work we need two Notebooks, I would like to know of
    any Nz Retailers that
    people can recommned for 2 low end notebooks around the $2000 mark for
    running Access Databases,
    And also what brands would be preferable and what to keep away from.

    At Least 1.3 celeron
    I need Xp pro and Office on both machines
    Extra batterys for field use and a charger to rotate the batterys.
    Usb 2,
    Serial ports would be nice but, I may have to use a usb to serial converter,
    anybody used these with
    success,

    Any ideas welcome

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Jeremy

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Jeremy said the following on 27/10/2004 20:07:
    > Hi as per subject for work we need two Notebooks, I would like to know of
    > any Nz Retailers that
    > people can recommned for 2 low end notebooks around the $2000 mark for
    > running Access Databases,
    > And also what brands would be preferable and what to keep away from.
    >
    > At Least 1.3 celeron
    > I need Xp pro and Office on both machines
    > Extra batterys for field use and a charger to rotate the batterys.
    > Usb 2,
    > Serial ports would be nice but, I may have to use a usb to serial converter,
    > anybody used these with
    > success,
    >
    > Any ideas welcome
    >
    > Jeremy

    At $2k yous pays your money at almost any street level retailer and
    takes your chances.

    USB Serial works well, when I timed races all the gear was RS232
    interface and the notebook only had 1 serial so I used a USB Hub and
    Rs232 to USB converters it worked well each USB becoming a virtual
    serial port

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |

    Collector_NZ, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Jeremy

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Hi as per subject for work we need two Notebooks, I would like to know of
    > any Nz Retailers that
    > people can recommned for 2 low end notebooks around the $2000 mark for
    > running Access Databases,
    > And also what brands would be preferable and what to keep away from.
    >
    > At Least 1.3 celeron
    > I need Xp pro and Office on both machines
    > Extra batterys for field use and a charger to rotate the batterys.
    > Usb 2,
    > Serial ports would be nice but, I may have to use a usb to serial converter,
    > anybody used these with
    > success,
    >
    > Any ideas welcome
    >
    > Jeremy

    Dell have some quite good deals at the moment, unless they don't fit
    into your idea of "NZ retailer"

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    > Jeremy wrote:
    > > Hi as per subject for work we need two Notebooks, I would like to know

    of
    > > any Nz Retailers that
    > > people can recommned for 2 low end notebooks around the $2000 mark for
    > > running Access Databases,
    > > And also what brands would be preferable and what to keep away from.
    > >
    > > At Least 1.3 celeron
    > > I need Xp pro and Office on both machines
    > > Extra batterys for field use and a charger to rotate the batterys.
    > > Usb 2,
    > > Serial ports would be nice but, I may have to use a usb to serial

    converter,
    > > anybody used these with
    > > success,
    > >
    > > Any ideas welcome
    > >
    > > Jeremy
    > >

    > Dell have some quite good deals at the moment, unless they don't fit
    > into your idea of "NZ retailer"
    >

    > --

    Thanks Guyz,

    Yes Dell scare me a bit, They are good when the computer arrives and it
    works, not so good if they lose
    it, and it takes 2 weeks to track it out, And you waste 1 hour on the phone
    trying to resolve it.
    Having said that several people I know have dells and are very happy with
    the hardware.

    Jeremy
    p.s thanks for the info on the usb serial as I need to run a picky thermal
    printer from it.

    Jeremy, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Jeremy wrote:
    > At Least 1.3 celeron
    > I need Xp pro and Office on both machines
    > Extra batterys for field use and a charger to rotate the batterys.
    > Usb 2,
    > Serial ports would be nice but, I may have to use a usb to serial converter,
    > anybody used these with
    > success,

    $2k? go retail.
    if you have no use for CDrom/Floppy in them you could get additional
    battery packs that fit in there, we use that a lot here at work(Dell lappys)

    you'll probably be pushed to find serial ports.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Hi Dave,
    Thanks again, I like the battery in the cd slot idea, as the machines once
    installed will be running flash cards for backups, are these options
    availible on all or most dell notebooks, as I have not seen this before,
    Also do they have external chargers for swaping batterys, and what time do
    you get approx with the extra batterys.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Jeremy wrote:
    > Thanks again, I like the battery in the cd slot idea, as the machines once
    > installed will be running flash cards for backups, are these options
    > availible on all or most dell notebooks, as I have not seen this before,
    > Also do they have external chargers for swaping batterys, and what time do
    > you get approx with the extra batterys.

    I believe it is available on all dell laptops, at least all those with
    removable CDroms.
    battery life? almost twice what the original battery gives. I just had a
    quick look and according to dell the default battery is 32Whrs, with
    option on a 53Whr one. The CDrom ones come in the same, so an extra 32
    or 53Whrs. essencially doubling the capicity. Although you may actually
    get more life, as it also doesnt power a CDrom, unsure if they use any
    while idle.
    I notice that you can also get a battery powered port replicator, so you
    could potentially add another 63Whrs to that too.

    quite configurable really, from 32 to 169Whrs, over 5 times the battery
    life... impressive.

    external charger? not that I know of, but I'd imagine that you could get
    one at time of purchase... surely this is available? you might have to
    call them on this one.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz