    know if I really need it.

    Oh, no battery guzzling either... ;-)

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 14, 2006

  2. On 14 May 2006 11:04:58 -0700, Beefy_SAFC <> wrote:
    > What would people opt for were they about to buy a new camera right
    > now?
    >
    > I'm looking at the superzoom cameras specifically, those offering 10x
    > or 12x zoom. Image stabilisation and continuous shoot (possibly looking
    > for first 5 or final 5 with a good number of shots per second) are
    > important, as are aperture sutter speed control. Fitting of extra
    > lenses (wide angle and telephoto) is a must, as is good focus speed
    > (want it to focus straight away). ISO up to 800 is probably as much as
    > I need.
    >
    > I'm looking to move away from Fuji as their cameras don't offer proper
    > image stabilisation (just ISO ramping). I'm not ready for SLR and don't
    > know if I really need it.

    There are a whole bunch of good cameras in this category:

    Canon S3IS
    Kodak P850
    Panasonic FZ7
    Sony H2

    to name a few. All of them will have their partisans here (I have the
    FZ5, the predecessor to the FZ7, and would recommend it), but at
    the end of the day, they're pretty much all good cameras.

    You might want to consider buying from a shop that stocks a bunch of
    different models, and trying them out to see which one is most
    comfortable to hold and to use.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, May 14, 2006

  3. Beefy_SAFC

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    I'd go for the Canon S3 because it can zoom during movies. Picture quality
    is similar and feature-wise, they all have a ton of features. It's a very
    tough choice.

    Kinon O'cann, May 15, 2006
  4. Beefy_SAFC

    bmoag Guest

    Its refreshing that so far there is not a post from the "if it doesn't look
    like a 1936 Exacta it can't be a serious camera" crowd . . .

    bmoag, May 15, 2006
  5. Beefy_SAFC

    Lobby Dosser Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote:

    > Its refreshing that so far there is not a post from the "if it doesn't
    > look like a 1936 Exacta it can't be a serious camera" crowd . . .

    Well, if it hadn't been for Ihagee ....

    Lobby Dosser, May 15, 2006
  6. Beefy_SAFC

    D Mac Guest

    Beefy_SAFC wrote:
    >> What would people opt for were they about to buy a new camera right
    >> now?
    >>
    >> I'm looking at the superzoom cameras specifically, those offering 10x
    >> or 12x zoom. Image stabilisation and continuous shoot (possibly
    >> looking for first 5 or final 5 with a good number of shots per
    >> second) are important, as are aperture sutter speed control. Fitting
    >> of extra lenses (wide angle and telephoto) is a must, as is good
    >> focus speed (want it to focus straight away). ISO up to 800 is
    >> probably as much as I need.
    >>
    >> I'm looking to move away from Fuji as their cameras don't offer
    >> proper image stabilisation (just ISO ramping). I'm not ready for SLR
    >> and don't know if I really need it.
    >>
    >> Oh, no battery guzzling either... ;-)

    The last line kills it.
    All CCD sensored cameras are battery guzzlers.
    It takes a lot of power to wind a 12x zoom lens in and out too.
    However the good news is the cost of batteries for some of these cameras is
    modest.
    FZ20 Panasonic is now superseded by the FZ30. When I bought my FZ20 the
    checkout chick remarked "at least they look like a real camera"!!!! The
    Leica F/2.8 Vario Elmarit lens is just about the best around and results in
    amazing photos from a consumer camera. The next in the up range is an
    Olympus E300 - dual lens kit. There are still some of these around in
    stores. I know they are no P&S but the take incredible pictures. The single
    lens kit is selling in Aussie stores right now for $875 AUD and represents a
    rare bargain for a real DSLR, 8 megapixel camera.

    Douglas

    D Mac, May 15, 2006
  7. Beefy_SAFC

    J. Clarke Guest

    Beefy_SAFC wrote:

    > What would people opt for were they about to buy a new camera right
    > now?
    >
    > I'm looking at the superzoom cameras specifically, those offering 10x
    > or 12x zoom. Image stabilisation and continuous shoot (possibly looking
    > for first 5 or final 5 with a good number of shots per second) are
    > important, as are aperture sutter speed control. Fitting of extra
    > lenses (wide angle and telephoto) is a must, as is good focus speed
    > (want it to focus straight away). ISO up to 800 is probably as much as
    > I need.
    >
    > I'm looking to move away from Fuji as their cameras don't offer proper
    > image stabilisation (just ISO ramping). I'm not ready for SLR and don't
    > know if I really need it.
    >
    > Oh, no battery guzzling either... ;-)

    Your choices for the features you list among current production are pretty
    much the Canon S3IS, the Panasonic FZ7, the Panasonic FZ30, the Sony
    DSC-H2, and the Sony DSC-H5.

    First thing to do is go over to <http://www.dpreview.com> and read the
    reviews carefully. No matter which one you go with you'll find something
    lacking in it that is present in another model--none of them are perfect.

    Personally I went with the FZ7, which is very nice for the price but not
    perfect. Annoyances include close focus at the long end of the zoom range
    in "macro" mode only--this precludes manual setting of aperture and shutter
    speed at full zoom; no hot shoe or PC connector or other way to connect a
    flash (the Wein PND servo works fine though); no remote release (have to
    use the self-timer for macro photography to avoid shake); closest focus is
    limited, again a problem for macro photography; no RAW mode (but none of
    the point-and-shoot superzooms have this); aux lenses are not readily
    available--you order them from Panasonic and pay full list or order them
    from a Japanese seller on ebay and pay even more.

    The S3 IS has somewhat better macro capability, it's the only
    point-and-shoot of which I'm aware that matches the macro performance of
    the Coolpix 9xx series. It also has a fold-out LCD, which I find that I
    miss in the FZ7. Otherwise the capabilities are pretty similar--if I had
    to choose between the two of them right now I'd probably go with the S3.

    The FZ30 is all around the most capable of the bunch but it costs about the
    same as a Nikon D50 SLR and isn't a whole lot smaller. It has RAW format,
    a flash shoe, provision for a remote release, a fold out LCD, close focus
    at the long zoom without going into macro mode, and the lens doesn't
    retract so you can stick a filter on the end of it without an adapter.
    Still won't get as close as the 990 without an auxiliary lens though. I do
    find myself regularly wishing that I had spent the extra 200 bucks or so.

    The Sonys seem to be "me-too" products with no great strengths or
    weaknesses.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, May 15, 2006
  8. Beefy_SAFC

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    The one thing in favour of the Fuji S5600 is that it doesn't eat
    batteries that heavily. However, the lack of proper image
    stabilisation is a pain.

    Plan is to sell this and some other stuff, to invest in a camera that
    is a little more state of the art than Fuji is able to produce. ISO
    ramping is not image stabilisation.

    If I can get a decent number of shots out of the camera before battery
    replacement and recharge, that could be a clincher. I'd prefer using
    AA rechargable, but this is not essential.

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 15, 2006
  9. Beefy_SAFC

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    Right, the S3 has my attention (not for the movie mode, but for the
    other specs). I have Olympus TCON17 and WCON07 lenses I'd like to
    keep and use.

    Can this be done and what adaptor would I need?

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 15, 2006
  10. Beefy_SAFC

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "Beefy_SAFC" <> wrote in message
    > Right, the S3 has my attention (not for the movie mode, but for the
    > other specs). I have Olympus TCON17 and WCON07 lenses I'd like to
    > keep and use.
    >
    > Can this be done and what adaptor would I need?

    Sorry, can't help there. Not familiar with the lenses or adapters for the
    S3.

    Kinon O'cann, May 15, 2006
  11. Beefy_SAFC

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    Fair enough, I can understand that the extra lenses can be a hassle
    people can do without - one of the reasons I'm not keen on SLR.
    However, I find the wide angle lens especially useful for confined
    spaces and indoor shots - the Olympus WCON-07 is one of the best
    quality wide angle lenses out there (both wide angle and telephoto are
    better than Canon's offerings - checked website).

    If I went for the S2 and not the S3, what would I lose apart from 1MP
    (S2 5 MP, S3 6MP). I've no massive need of huge numbers of
    megapixels.

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 15, 2006
  12. Beefy_SAFC

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    I have the feeling there's an in-joke here I'd rather not know about...
    ;-)

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 15, 2006
  13. Beefy_SAFC

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    The macro capability certainly has my attention on the S3. I'm used
    to super-macro from the S7000 and wow!!!

    I think I know which camera I'm going to fiddle with in the shop the
    next few days. If the older S2 satisfies my needs, however, I go for
    that. As far as I can ascertain, both the S2 and the S3 are the same
    except the S3 is 6 MP rather than 5 MP. As I've said elsewhere, I've
    no need of huge numbers of megapixels.

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 15, 2006
  14. Beefy_SAFC

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    Doh, the one obvious question I forgot - what's the size of the adaptor
    thread on the S2 / S3?

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 15, 2006
  15. Beefy_SAFC

    J. Clarke Guest

    Beefy_SAFC wrote:

    > The one thing in favour of the Fuji S5600 is that it doesn't eat
    > batteries that heavily. However, the lack of proper image
    > stabilisation is a pain.
    >
    > Plan is to sell this and some other stuff, to invest in a camera that
    > is a little more state of the art than Fuji is able to produce. ISO
    > ramping is not image stabilisation.
    >
    > If I can get a decent number of shots out of the camera before battery
    > replacement and recharge, that could be a clincher. I'd prefer using
    > AA rechargable, but this is not essential.

    The S3 uses AAs, the FZ7 and FZ30 use lithium ion, with third party
    replacements available for about $30US. Any of the "superzooms" should be
    able to fill up a 1 gig memory card or two on a single charge--that's not
    really all that much of an issue unless you are going on an extended trip
    away from power.

    J. Clarke, May 15, 2006
  16. Beefy_SAFC

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    Considering I've just come back from the Xinjiang province of China (I
    do some pretty weird holidays), extended trips away from power are a
    disticnt possibility. ;-)

    That said, the info. you give suggests that as long as I have a reserve
    set of batteries, I should have no problems.

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 15, 2006
  17. Beefy_SAFC

    ASAAR Guest

    On 15 May 2006 04:26:49 -0700, Beefy_SAFC wrote:

    > I have the feeling there's an in-joke here I'd rather not know about...
    > ;-)

    You no leica camera jokes? Good for you - shows potential.

    :)

    ASAAR, May 15, 2006
  18. Beefy_SAFC

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    Once you have mounted the required Canon adapter, it provides a 58mm thread.
    It's one of the "tunnel" jobs that surrounds the lens.

    Kinon O'cann, May 15, 2006
  19. Beefy_SAFC

    Lew Guest

    Olympus TCON17 fits the FZ30 with no adapter needed.

    Lew, May 15, 2006