    samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)

    what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?

    tnk

    Stark, Jan 6, 2011

  2. Stark

    Bowser Guest

    "Stark" wrote in message
    news:eek:...

    hi all

    i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm
    undecided among
    these

    panasonic -tz-10
    sony hx 5
    samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while
    zooming)

    what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me
    about?

    tnk

    Among those I'm partial to the Panasonic. Nice lens, great
    feature set, and an 'auto' mode that actually works (iAuto).

    Bowser, Jan 6, 2011

  3. Stark

    ASCII Guest

    Bowser wrote:
    >or you have other models to tell me
    >about?

    For 'superzoom' it's hard to beat the 35x zoom of the Canon SX30-IS

    ASCII, Jan 6, 2011
  4. "Stark" <> wrote in message

    > i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
    > these
    >
    > panasonic -tz-10
    > sony hx 5
    > samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)
    >
    > what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?
    >
    > tnk

    I'll join in the "throw out a model" game, but the Panasonic ZS7 (or ZS6,
    same without GPS) is popular for its fairly sharp images with 25-300mm
    equivalent lens, compactness, and video quality. It's not great in low light,
    though, but for general daylight trip shooting, it is very good.
    --DR

    David Ruether, Jan 6, 2011
  5. Stark

    Stark Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 05:32:21 -0800 (PST), Val Hallah
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 6, 10:21 am, Stark <> wrote:
    >> hi all
    >>
    >> i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
    >> these
    >>
    >> panasonic -tz-10
    >> sony hx 5
    >> samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)
    >>
    >> what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?
    >>
    >> tnk

    >olympus sp800uz

    tnk but it is not the kind of camera i meant for compact :)

    Stark, Jan 6, 2011
  6. Stark

    Stark Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 05:33:00 -0800, ASCII <> wrote:

    >Bowser wrote:
    >>or you have other models to tell me
    >>about?

    >For 'superzoom' it's hard to beat the 35x zoom of the Canon SX30-IS

    i watched some videos ..impressing but it is a bridge a bit too big :/

    Stark, Jan 6, 2011
  7. Stark

    Bruce Guest

    "Bowser" <> wrote:
    >"Stark" wrote
    >>i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm
    >>undecided among
    >>these
    >>panasonic -tz-10
    >>sony hx 5
    >>samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while
    >>zooming)
    >>what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me
    >>about?

    >Among those I'm partial to the Panasonic. Nice lens, great
    >feature set, and an 'auto' mode that actually works (iAuto).

    Agreed, the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ10 is a fine little camera. The
    Leica-branded lens is very good indeed and the optical image
    stabilisation works well. So you get good, sharp results even at slow
    shutter speeds.

    There is also a cheaper option. The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ8 offers
    most of the TZ10's features, including the same lens and sensor, at a
    significant cost saving. The OP should carefully study the
    specification sheets to see which of the TZ10's features are vital,
    which are merely "interesting", and decide whether they justify paying
    the 25% higher price of the TZ10 over the TZ8.

    [In the USA, the TZ8 is sold as the ZS5 and the TZ10 as the ZS7.]

    Bruce, Jan 6, 2011
  8. Stark

    Bruce Guest

    Stark <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 05:32:21 -0800 (PST), Val Hallah
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Jan 6, 10:21 am, Stark <> wrote:
    >>> hi all
    >>>
    >>> i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
    >>> these
    >>>
    >>> panasonic -tz-10
    >>> sony hx 5
    >>> samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)
    >>>
    >>> what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?
    >>>
    >>> tnk

    >>olympus sp800uz

    >tnk but it is not the kind of camera i meant for compact :)

    No, but it *is* a superzoom, which is what you asked about even if it
    wasn't what you meant. ;-)

    Bruce, Jan 6, 2011
  9. Stark

    Stark Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:49:24 -0500, "David Ruether"
    <> wrote:

    >"Stark" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
    >> these
    >>
    >> panasonic -tz-10
    >> sony hx 5
    >> samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)
    >>
    >> what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?
    >>
    >> tnk

    >I'll join in the "throw out a model" game, but the Panasonic ZS7 (or ZS6,
    >same without GPS) is popular for its fairly sharp images with 25-300mm
    >equivalent lens, compactness, and video quality. It's not great in low light,
    >though, but for general daylight trip shooting, it is very good.
    >--DR

    what compact superzzom you suggest for low light? i'm interested in
    this kind as well

    Stark, Jan 6, 2011
  10. Stark

    eatmorepies Guest

    "Stark" <> wrote in message
    > hi all
    >
    > i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
    > these
    >
    > panasonic -tz-10
    > sony hx 5
    > samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)
    >
    > what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?

    I've just bought a Panasonic TZ9 - which appears to be a TZ8 with a bigger
    viewing screen. I'm used to DSLRs and found the noise at ISO400
    unacceptable. It can produce clear and reasonably sharp pictures if you can
    use ISO 100 (possibly 200). I took a couple in bright daylight today and the
    results are what I would expect from a quality compact and fit for purpose.
    The 12x zoom is one reason I bought this camera. I took some 300mm
    (equivalent) pictures of ducks in the distance, the day was gloomy and there
    is evidence of camera shake even with the image stability switch on. I also
    chose this because it can be manually controlled - but have found that the
    iA mode is probably the best for normal snapping.

    Anyway, I don't think anything else at this price point and size will give
    me a better image quality so I'll just have to get used to the fact that a
    £180 superzoom can't be used dimmer lighting conditions.

    John

    eatmorepies, Jan 6, 2011
  11. Stark

    Irwell Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:25:11 +0000, Bruce wrote:

    > Stark <> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 05:32:21 -0800 (PST), Val Hallah
    >><> wrote:

    >>>olympus sp800uz

    >>tnk but it is not the kind of camera i meant for compact :)

    > No, but it *is* a superzoom, which is what you asked about even if it
    > wasn't what you meant. ;-)

    The OP did say compact super zoom!

    Irwell, Jan 6, 2011
  12. Stark

    DanP Guest

    On Jan 6, 2:29 pm, Stark <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:49:24 -0500, "David Ruether"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Stark" <> wrote in message

    > >> i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
    > >> these

    > >> panasonic -tz-10
    > >> sony hx 5
    > >> samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)

    > >> what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?

    > >> tnk

    > >I'll join in the "throw out a model" game, but the Panasonic ZS7 (or ZS6,
    > >same without GPS) is popular for its fairly sharp images with 25-300mm
    > >equivalent lens, compactness, and video quality. It's not great in low light,
    > >though, but for general daylight trip shooting, it is very good.
    > >--DR

    > what compact superzzom you suggest for low light? i'm interested in
    > this kind  as well

    You cannot have it all, compact AND low noise.
    To get pictures in low light use the manual settings to increase the
    exposure time and keep the camera on a tripod.

    DanP

    DanP, Jan 6, 2011
  13. Stark

    Irwell Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:51:13 -0800 (PST), Val Hallah wrote:

    > On Jan 6, 5:36 pm, Irwell <> wrote:

    >>> No, but it *is* a superzoom, which is what you asked about even if it
    >>> wasn't what you meant.  ;-)

    >> The OP did say compact super zoom!

    > compared to a dslr they all are....

    This group is probably what the OP had in mind,
    most of them are just about 1 inch think when the
    lens are contracted.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/

    Irwell, Jan 6, 2011
  14. Stark <> wrote:

    > what compact superzzom you suggest for low light?

    A full frame DSLR with fast non-zoom lenses.

    Most zooms won't be faster than f/2.8 [1] but there are f/1.2
    (and even f/1.0) 50mm lenses and you can stay at or
    below f/2 for most shooting situations. (Canon e.g. offers
    f/1.4 or faster for 24-85mm)

    Failing that, a crop-DSLR. And/or maybe fast f/2.8 zooms.
    (A f/1.8 50mm is dirt cheap.)

    Failing that, fast lenses with 4/3rds.

    > i'm interested in
    > this kind as well

    Failing that, you might try some compact with a comparatively large
    sensor and a comparatively fast lens, but that is like choosing
    an icecream that tastes least like sawdust with terpentine sauce.
    When all you have is sawdust and terpentine.

    -Wolfgang

    [1] OK, there are f/2.0 zooms for 4/3rd cameras, but they have
    a noiser sensor which eats the advantage --- and the smaller
    sensor also increases the DOF to what approximately a f/4 on
    full frame delivers.

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 6, 2011
  15. Stark

    Bruce Guest

    Irwell <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:25:11 +0000, Bruce wrote:
    >> Stark <> wrote:

    >>>tnk but it is not the kind of camera i meant for compact :)

    >> No, but it *is* a superzoom, which is what you asked about even if it
    >> wasn't what you meant. ;-)

    >The OP did say compact super zoom!

    It is generally accepted that "superzoom" refers to what used to be
    called a "bridge camera". The definition is somewhat blurred by
    compact p&s cameras that have lenses with a big zoom range.

    The subject line said "superzoom cameras request" which led several
    people to reply about superzooms. Careful reading of the message
    itself showed that the OP was looking for something different. ;-)

    Bruce, Jan 6, 2011
  16. Stark

    Bruce Guest

    "N" <> wrote:
    >"Stark" wrote in message news:eek:...
    >hi all
    >i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
    >these
    >panasonic -tz-10
    >sony hx 5
    >samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)
    >what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?
    >tnk
    >
    >Have you looked at the Nikon P7000?

    The Nikon P7000 doesn't fit the OP's requirement because it is too big
    and doesn't have enough zoom range. I use a P7000. I'm happy with
    it. It is a good camera, but it isn't what the OP is looking for.

    Bruce, Jan 6, 2011
  17. Stark

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 23:48:15 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    : It is generally accepted that "superzoom" refers to what used to be
    : called a "bridge camera". The definition is somewhat blurred by
    : compact p&s cameras that have lenses with a big zoom range.

    Now I'm confused. I thought that a "bridge camera" was still called a "bridge
    camera" and was a camera that more or less split the difference - in size,
    price, and image quality - between a P&S and a DSLR. I thought a "superzoom"
    was a P&S with an unusually long zoom range made possible by optical
    compromises not necessary in more "normal" P&Sses. Have those definitions gone
    obsolete while I wasn't looking?

    Where is Supy the Troll when we may actually need his input?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 8, 2011
  18. Stark

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 23:48:15 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: It is generally accepted that "superzoom" refers to what used to be
    >: called a "bridge camera". The definition is somewhat blurred by
    >: compact p&s cameras that have lenses with a big zoom range.
    >
    >Now I'm confused. I thought that a "bridge camera" was still called a "bridge
    >camera" and was a camera that more or less split the difference - in size,
    >price, and image quality - between a P&S and a DSLR. I thought a "superzoom"
    >was a P&S with an unusually long zoom range made possible by optical
    >compromises not necessary in more "normal" P&Sses. Have those definitions gone
    >obsolete while I wasn't looking?

    I think your posting encapsulates the problem. Different people use
    the term "superzoom" to describe distinctly different cameras. It is
    especially confusing when compact p&s digicams are fitted with lenses
    that have huge zoom ranges. There isn't really a name for those yet.

    If you look at DPReview's recent group test of "superzooms", they are
    all what used to be called "bridge cameras".

    That seems to be the industry definition of a "superzoom". It is the
    one I use since I am responsible for ordering new stock. It is not an
    easy job, not least because I am having to place orders for cameras
    that I haven't even seen - they haven't been announced yet!

    Bruce, Jan 8, 2011
  19. Stark

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 01/08/2011 07:15 PM, Bruce wrote:

    > I think your posting encapsulates the problem. Different people use
    > the term "superzoom" to describe distinctly different cameras. It is
    > especially confusing when compact p&s digicams are fitted with lenses
    > that have huge zoom ranges. There isn't really a name for those yet.
    >
    > If you look at DPReview's recent group test of "superzooms", they are
    > all what used to be called "bridge cameras".
    >
    > That seems to be the industry definition of a "superzoom". It is the
    > one I use since I am responsible for ordering new stock. It is not an
    > easy job, not least because I am having to place orders for cameras
    > that I haven't even seen - they haven't been announced yet!

    Can you aim using the rear screen with a 600mm zoom? A very long zoom
    implies a viewfinders and a viewfinder implies a bridge camera.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Jan 8, 2011
  20. Stark

    Bruce Guest

    Ofnuts <> wrote:

    >On 01/08/2011 07:15 PM, Bruce wrote:
    >

    >> I think your posting encapsulates the problem. Different people use
    >> the term "superzoom" to describe distinctly different cameras. It is
    >> especially confusing when compact p&s digicams are fitted with lenses
    >> that have huge zoom ranges. There isn't really a name for those yet.
    >>
    >> If you look at DPReview's recent group test of "superzooms", they are
    >> all what used to be called "bridge cameras".
    >>
    >> That seems to be the industry definition of a "superzoom". It is the
    >> one I use since I am responsible for ordering new stock. It is not an
    >> easy job, not least because I am having to place orders for cameras
    >> that I haven't even seen - they haven't been announced yet!

    >Can you aim using the rear screen with a 600mm zoom? A very long zoom
    >implies a viewfinders and a viewfinder implies a bridge camera.

    Good point. With a superzoom camera (formerly known as "bridge" you
    have a viewfinder, a good hand grip and usually some effective
    anti-shake. Even then, it isn't easy to get a sharp image.

    With a compact p&s that has a long zoom range, you lose the viewfinder
    and grip, which makes it even more difficult.

    I don't think any of the cameras listed by the OP have a lens that
    goes as far out as 600mm (equivalent) but your point is well made.

    Bruce, Jan 9, 2011