    it be the LAN only image?

    Thanks very much if you can help me. If not I'll have to go through TAC.

    Steve
    Balin, Son of Fundi, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Balin, Son of Fundi

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    "Balin, Son of Fundi" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I want to buy some of these Supervisors for a very large campus and I want
    > them to run in native mode. I know that native mode means the engine is

    IOS
    > only. However, how many IOS images does the Sup720 need in native mode?

    Is
    > it just one image for the whole card? Or is there one IOS for the
    > "switching part" of the engine and another IOS that runs on the MSFC3?

    This
    > is very confusing on Cisco's web site - it doesn't explain this very well.

    You'll get only one image. It works with both switching & routing part (when
    you do "sh run" you can see all ports).

    > When I buy my Sup720's, will they have this image(s) already loaded? Will
    > it be the LAN only image?

    I never got any SUP without image, so probably will (just pick one from
    configurator). The other problem is that, AFAIK at this time you have only
    one working IOS for SUP720. There is new IOS (second) but it seems that you
    need to buy some kind of a "feature pack" to be able to use BGP, MPLS and
    IPv6, and at this time BGP is only thing that works (actually, seems that
    MPLS works too, but it's not "supported by cisco").

    If someone on this NG has better information, please feel free to disagree.

    Ivan
    Ivan Ostres, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Balin, Son of Fundi

    Chris Thomas Guest

    In article <bnj92h$111lre$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > > When I buy my Sup720's, will they have this image(s) already loaded? Will
    > > it be the LAN only image?

    > I never got any SUP without image, so probably will (just pick one from
    > configurator). The other problem is that, AFAIK at this time you have only
    > one working IOS for SUP720. There is new IOS (second) but it seems that you
    > need to buy some kind of a "feature pack" to be able to use BGP, MPLS and
    > IPv6, and at this time BGP is only thing that works (actually, seems that
    > MPLS works too, but it's not "supported by cisco").

    When you purchase the 720, it will be shipped with whichever image
    you order. There are three releases of the basic LAN-only IOS
    available today, 12.2(14)SX, 12.2(14)SX1, and 12.2(17a)SX. I
    installed 17a this weekend and it is running fine. I haven't have a
    single problem with the 720 since I installed it two months ago.

    The feature description in the release notes is confusing, and does
    seem to imply that the LAN-only level of code no longer supports BGP,
    but this is incorrect. Image s72033-pk9s-mz.122-17a.SX does indeed
    support BGP as did s72033-pk9s-mz.122-14.SX. BGP does require an
    additional licence to use; it always has, since the 4000 router,
    except on the 3750s, which include BGP in the enhanced image.

    /Chris, UCLA ATS
    Chris Thomas, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Hi Chris,
    Thanks for that explanation. Let me clarify something? All I want to do on
    my Sup720 is for it to perform switching between my VLANS and to route
    between those VLANS (SVI's). I also want to configure certain interfaces to
    be routed ports to connect to routers running RIP. Whay image do I need to
    order? IP only?
    Thanks,
    Steve

    Balin, Son of Fundi, Oct 27, 2003
  5. Balin, Son of Fundi

    Chris Thomas Guest

    In article <bnjbvb$12hsap$-berlin.de>, balin-
    says...
    > Hi Chris,
    > Thanks for that explanation. Let me clarify something? All I want to do on
    > my Sup720 is for it to perform switching between my VLANS and to route
    > between those VLANS (SVI's). I also want to configure certain interfaces to
    > be routed ports to connect to routers running RIP. Whay image do I need to
    > order? IP only?
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    Yes, the IOS IP Lan-only image will have all the function you
    mention. This is part number S733ZL-12217SX. "Lan-only" is
    misleading in that it does including routing. You would need one of
    the optional images if you had the Flex-WAN hardware, or needed non-
    IP routing (IPX, AppleTalk, etc.)

    A couple of other points: If you are upgrading an existing 6500,
    note that you need to upgrade the fan tray, and most likely the power
    supply or supplies if you currently have 1300w PS. Also, you might
    want to add a 256Mb flash card for image storage. The built-in flash
    is "only" 64Mb, and the images are 30-40Mb. Without the additional
    flash, you will have problems fitting more than one image in flash,
    which makes upgrading harder. Also, note the the flash cards for Sup
    I and II don't work in the 720, which needs CF-type cards.

    /Chris
    Chris Thomas, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Brilliant Chris. Thankyou very much for your kind help.
    Best regards,

    Balin, Son of Fundi, Oct 27, 2003