supervisor password

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by George Prezioso, Dec 28, 2008.

  1. How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass word
    every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

    George Prezioso, Dec 28, 2008

  2. George Prezioso

    John Holmes Guest

    George Prezioso "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass

    word
    > every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

    Mike Easter or Evan Platt will reply soon asking "what OS' and "what
    program"

    Mark my words.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Dec 28, 2008

  3. George Prezioso wrote:

    > How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass
    > word every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

    Looks as if your parents don't want you visiting porn sites.

    If you should happen to be the actual parent ... well, you could perhaps
    uninstall this Content Advisor. How did it get there in the first place?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2008
  4. I am the parent How do you uninstall it?

    George Prezioso, Dec 28, 2008
  5. George Prezioso

    chuckcar Guest

    "George Prezioso" <> wrote in

    > How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass
    > word every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

    Ask your dad if you can visit porn sites yet.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 28, 2008
  6. George Prezioso wrote:
    [top-posting fixed]

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> George Prezioso wrote:
    >>> How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass
    >>> word every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

    >> Looks as if your parents don't want you visiting porn sites.
    >>
    >> If you should happen to be the actual parent ... well, you could
    >> perhaps uninstall this Content Advisor. How did it get there in the
    >> first place?

    > I am the parent How do you uninstall it?

    Well, what is the name of the product? "content advisor" finds 274,000
    hits at Google.

    In the event that those two generic words are actually the name of the
    product (there are hundreds of such products available), the very first
    hit at Google is from Microsoft. Are you using Internet Explorer?

    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/security/contentadv/config.mspx>

    Down the page is the topic, "Turn off Content Advisor". It says:
    "3. In the Password box, type your supervisor password, and click OK.
    All users will once again have free access to all sites."

    This content advisor is not activated by default. You had to turn it on
    (or someone with access to your PC). The first time you did that, it
    asked you for a password to use. Do you remember what the password was?

    There are 23,700 hits for what to do if you forgot this password.
    Google for: internet explorer "content advisor" forgot password
    The first two are:

    <http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml>
    <http://www.ieinfosite.co.uk/tip_view.asp?id=16>

    ...which leads me to believe that this advisor will only prevent really
    clueless people from surfing those porn sites... :-/

    I am the walrus.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2008
  7. George Prezioso

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:11:16 GMT, "George Prezioso" <>
    wrote:

    >How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass word
    >every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

    RTFM

    I found the answer simply by going into tools>>internet options.
    Click the content tab.
    Now click "enable" under "conent advisor".
    In the new window click the "general" tab.
    Ok it sounds redundant but click "create password" and create one.
    Once done, uncheck the box "supervisor can type a password......".

    Interesting that one of the choices for "content detection" was "user
    generated content". Well duhh. Wouldn't that be half of the internet
    if not more?

    richard, Dec 28, 2008
  8. My thanks to Richard
    I went into the Internet Explorer retyped the password and it deleted it
    self off the computer
    Again Thank you Richard

    George Prezioso, Dec 28, 2008
  9. George Prezioso

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:07:18 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Interesting that one of the choices for "content detection" was "user
    >generated content". Well duhh. Wouldn't that be half of the internet
    >if not more?

    No, not likely.

    User generated is a person - individual.

    For example, www.microsoft.com isn't user generated.

    www.geocities.com/someidiotshomepage is user generated.

    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2008
  10. George Prezioso

    VanguardLH Guest

    George Prezioso wrote:

    > How can I get rid of a dropdown menu that asks for a supervisor pass word
    > every time you get on line , called a "CONTENT ADVISOR"

    Ask your parents (or whomever is the owner of the computer you are
    using) to disable Content Advisor in Internet Explorer. It is very easy
    to reset the password just by Googling for it.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"internet+explorer"+%2B"content+advisor"+%2Bpassword

    But then to be editing the registry means you can't be logged under your
    limited Windows account (i.e., you will admin privileges). If you don't
    have an admin-level account or don't know the password for the
    Administrator account then, again, go ask your parents or whomever owns
    that computer to disable Content Advisor in IE.

    VanguardLH, Dec 28, 2008
  11. George Prezioso

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 15:25:34 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Ask your dad if you can visit porn sites yet.

    Why should the OP need to? It's obvious your parents give you free
    reign of the computer in the basement where you live.

    Evan Platt, Dec 30, 2008

    George Prezioso, Dec 31, 2008
  13. If I knew how it got there I would not be asking on how to remove it

    George Prezioso, Dec 31, 2008