supervisor password

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Blinky the Shark, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. TRUDI WOODHOUSE wrote:

    > I have accidentally activated rhe above pop up I cannot even access
    > the home page of the internet please can anyone help??

    I've been *looking* for the home page of the Internet. Do you have a
    URL for that?

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/bpledge

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 25, 2003

  2. I have accidentally activated rhe above pop up I cannot even access the home
    page of the internet please can anyone help??

    TRUDI WOODHOUSE, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Blinky the Shark

    Jimchip Guest

    http://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/home.html :)

    --
    We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
    one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.

    Jimchip, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Blinky the Shark

    Michael Guest

    In <news:>,
    Blinky the Shark said:

    > TRUDI WOODHOUSE wrote:
    >
    >> I have accidentally activated rhe above pop up I cannot even access
    >> the home page of the internet please can anyone help??

    > I've been *looking* for the home page of the Internet. Do you have a
    > URL for that?

    I tried and I just wound up lost... very, very far from home.

    http://endoftheinternet.com/

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Blinky the Shark

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Jimchip wrote:

    > On 25 Jul 2003 01:29:48 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> TRUDI WOODHOUSE wrote:

    >>> I have accidentally activated rhe above pop up I cannot even access
    >>> the home page of the internet please can anyone help??

    >> I've been *looking* for the home page of the Internet. Do you have a
    >> URL for that?

    > http://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/home.html :)

    Good answer. :)

    An on my Links page (see headers), under "Internet", you'll find the
    first and last pages. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 25, 2003
  7. Michael wrote:

    > In <news:>,
    > Blinky the Shark said:

    >> TRUDI WOODHOUSE wrote:

    >>> I have accidentally activated rhe above pop up I cannot even access
    >>> the home page of the internet please can anyone help??

    >> I've been *looking* for the home page of the Internet. Do you have a
    >> URL for that?

    > I tried and I just wound up lost... very, very far from home.

    > http://endoftheinternet.com/

    One of several. There's one in Nova Scotia that shows a map of it
    ending there. :)

    I like the image here, too: http://www.atw.co.za/end.html

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 25, 2003
  8. Blinky the Shark

    trout Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Michael wrote:
    >
    >> In <news:>,
    >> Blinky the Shark said:

    >>> I've been *looking* for the home page of the Internet. Do you have
    >>> a URL for that?

    >> I tried and I just wound up lost... very, very far from home.

    >> http://endoftheinternet.com/

    > One of several. There's one in Nova Scotia that shows a map of it
    > ending there. :)
    >
    > I like the image here, too: http://www.atw.co.za/end.html

    Quite convenient that the Internet ended precisely at nine o'clock.
    --
    "Still time to look for a movie on TV."

    trout, Jul 25, 2003

    http://www.internet.com/

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Jul 25, 2003
  10. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:40:00 +0100, Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    <> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
    the world:

    >"TRUDI WOODHOUSE" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have accidentally activated rhe above pop up I cannot even access the home
    >>page of the internet please can anyone help??
    >>

    >http://www.internet.com/

    HEh!11!!11!!!!

    Yuo CuoLd hAce adDid ThiS:

    How to Remove the Content Advisor Password
    in Internet Explorer

    How to Remove Content Advisor Password in Internet Explorer
    The following steps will remove any password set in the Internet
    Explorer Content Advisor and allow you to reset the program to its
    original state.

    1) Click on Start and choose Run.

    2) Type in RegEdit and select OK.

    3) Now click on the little plus sign to the left of
    H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

    4) Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the
    left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current
    Version and Policies.

    5) Now click on the Ratings folder.

    6) In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called
    Key. Click on it and press Delete.

    7) Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit. You've just
    deleted your original Content Advisor password.

    8) Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.

    9) Choose View and then Internet Options (or Options for version 3.x).
    For IE 5 or greater, Click on Tools, Internet Options.

    10) Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a
    password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable
    Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.

    Godwin's Law FAQ
    -or-
    "How to post about Nazis and get away with it"

    One of the most famous pieces of Usenet trivia out there is "if you mention
    Hitler or Nazis in a post, you've automatically ended whatever discussion
    you were taking part in". Known as Godwin's Law, this rule of Usenet has a
    long and sordid history on the network - and is absolutely wrong. This FAQ
    is an attempt to set straight as much of the history and meaning of Godwin's
    Law as possible, and hopefully encourage users to invoke it a bit more
    sparingly. Of course, knowing Usenet, it won't do an ounce of good...

    [Standard Disclaimers: this document assumes you have some basic knowledge
    of Usenet; if you don't, go check out news.announce.newusers for a while to
    gain said knowledge. Misuse of the information contained within this FAQ
    is not the responsibility of the author (though he's pretty confused exactly
    how you could misuse this information). Copyright 1999, Tim Skirvin, all
    rights reserved, <FISH><, fnord, furrfu.]

    I. The Basics
    1. What is Godwin's Law?

    Godwin's Law is a natural law of Usenet named after Mike Godwin
    () concerning Usenet "discussions". It reads, according to
    the Jargon File:

    As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
    involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

    2. What does it mean?

    It pretty much means exactly what it says - as a Usenet thread
    goes on, the chances of somebody or something being compared to a Nazi
    approach one.

    3. Yes, but what does it *mean*?

    Aah, now *there's* the real question.

    In case your head has been buried in the sand for the last sixty
    years or so, the Nazis were a German political party lead by Adolf Hitler
    that slaughtered upwards of ten-million people that didn't meet their
    standards of "ethnic purity" and set off to conquer Europe and the world
    in World War II. They are generally considered the most evil group of
    people to live in modern times, and to compare something or someone to
    them is usually considered the gravest insult imaginable.

    As a Usenet discussion gets longer it tends to get more heated; as
    more heat enters the discussion, tensions get higher and people start to
    insult each other over anything they can think of. Godwin's Law merely
    notes that, eventually, those tensions eventually cause someone to find
    the worst insults that come to mind - which will almost always include a
    Nazi comparison.

    4. That still doesn't answer my question. What does it *MEAN*?

    The Law is generally used on Usenet as an indicator of whether a
    thread has gone on too long, who's playing fair and who's just slinging
    mud, and who finally gets to "win" the discussion. It has, over time,
    become the closest thing to an impartial moderator that Usenet can get.

    So, what this means in practical terms:

    o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
    wasn't necessary or germane without it necessarily being an
    insult, it's probably about time for the thread to end.
    o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
    was vaguely related but is basically being used as an insult,
    the speaker can be considered to be flaming and not debating.
    o If someone brings up Nazis in any conversation that has been
    going on too long for one of the parties, it can be used as
    a fair excuse to end the thread and declare victory for the
    other side.

    5. So - *WHAT DOES IT MEAN*?

    Fine, fine - it means that somebody's eventually going to say
    something about the Nazis in any thread that lasts very long. When it
    happens, the thread is going to start either degenerating into a long
    flamewar over Nazi Germany or about Godwin's Law. Either way, the thread
    is effectively over, and you can safely killfile the thread a

    smellycrackwhore, Jul 25, 2003
  11. smellycrackwhore <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:40:00 +0100, Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    ><> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
    >the world:
    >
    >>"TRUDI WOODHOUSE" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have accidentally activated rhe above pop up I cannot even access the home
    >>>page of the internet please can anyone help??
    >>>

    >>http://www.internet.com/

    >HEh!11!!11!!!!
    >
    >Yuo CuoLd hAce adDid ThiS:

    I couldn't, SCW. I'm desperate not to be seen as a 'respected reg'.

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Jul 25, 2003
  12. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:29:23 +0100, Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    <> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
    the world:

    >smellycrackwhore <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:40:00 +0100, Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    >><> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
    >>the world:

    >>>http://www.internet.com/

    >>HEh!11!!11!!!!
    >>
    >>Yuo CuoLd hAce adDid ThiS:

    >I couldn't, SCW. I'm desperate not to be seen as a 'respected reg'.

    I figure i'm safe from that what with this HUGE .sig file tacked on
    .... I'm sure to get POLKNED!!!11 by teh HERD entirely for it.

    Hell, I may just PlonK! myself.

    --

> [...]
    >> insult, it's probably about time for the thread to end.
    >> o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
    >> was vaguely related but is basically being used as an insult,
    >> the speaker can be considered to be flaming and not debating.
    >> o If someone brings up Nazis in any conversation that has been
    >> going on too long for one of the parties, it can be used as
    >> a fair excuse to end the thread and declare victory for the
    >> other side.
    >>

    >> 5. So - *WHAT DOES IT MEAN*?
    >>
    >> Fine, fine - it means that somebody's eventually going to say
    >>something about the Nazis in any thread that lasts very long. When it
    >>happens, the thread is going to start either degenerating into a long
    >>flamewar over Nazi Germany or about Godwin's Law. Either way, the thread
    >>is effectively over, and you can safely killfile the thread a

    apparently, it sounded somewhat like: "*plink* -
    *HCCCCTTT-PPTHHEWWWww...*

    Teh sound of troutboi's armoured killfile snapping closed on yet another unsuspecting newbie.

    smellycrackwhore, Jul 25, 2003
  13. smellycrackwhore <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:29:23 +0100, Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    ><> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
    >the world:
    >
    >>smellycrackwhore <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:40:00 +0100, Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    >>><> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
    >>>the world:

    >>>HEh!11!!11!!!!
    >>>
    >>>Yuo CuoLd hAce adDid ThiS:

    >>I couldn't, SCW. I'm desperate not to be seen as a 'respected reg'.

    >I figure i'm safe from that what with this HUGE .sig file tacked on
    >... I'm sure to get POLKNED!!!11 by teh HERD entirely for it.

    It's both informative _and_ informative...

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Jul 25, 2003
  14. Blinky the Shark

    Brian H¹© Guest

    °Mike° said:

    > Outlook Express 4.72? I'm going to guess that you mean the
    > Content Advisor.
    >
    > How to Disable Content Advisor in Internet Explorer
    > http://home.acun.com/article.php?story_id=32

    Wasn't you questioning the morality of answering these requests the other week?
    I removed the answer from my site because I had second thoughts about the fact
    that children could be pretending to have a problem with "their" pc.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 25, 2003
  15. Blinky the Shark

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:20:02 +0100, in
    <68aUa.1488$>
    Brian H¹© scrawled:

    > °Mike° said:
    >
    >> Outlook Express 4.72? I'm going to guess that you mean the
    >> Content Advisor.
    >>
    >> How to Disable Content Advisor in Internet Explorer
    >> http://home.acun.com/article.php?story_id=32
    >>

    >Wasn't you questioning the morality of answering these requests
    >the other week? I removed the answer from my site because I
    >had second thoughts about the fact that children could be
    >pretending to have a problem with "their" pc.

    No, I wasn't questioning the general morality, I was questioning
    one post, where the OP appeared (to me) to have been deliberately
    blocked from browsing.

    <Quote from the poster you are referring to>
    "am blocked from getting to any web pages, can't seem to change
    the content advisor rating w/out a password which I don't have.
    any ideas ?"

    To which I replied:
    "Has anybody considered that the OP said, "password which I don't
    have", ie. s/h/it may be a minor and has been deliberately blocked
    from certain sites?"

    >> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 02:35:35 +0100, in
    >> <qo%Ta.892$>
    >> TRUDI WOODHOUSE scrawled:
    >>
    >>> I have accidentally activated rhe above pop up I cannot even
    >>> access the home page of the internet please can anyone help??

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 25, 2003
  16. Blinky the Shark

    Brian H¹© Guest

    °Mike° said:

    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:20:02 +0100, in
    > <68aUa.1488$>
    > Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >> °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> Outlook Express 4.72? I'm going to guess that you mean the
    >>> Content Advisor.
    >>>
    >>> How to Disable Content Advisor in Internet Explorer
    >>>

    >> Wasn't you questioning the morality of answering these requests
    >> the other week? I removed the answer from my site because I
    >> had second thoughts about the fact that children could be
    >> pretending to have a problem with "their" pc.

    > No, I wasn't questioning the general morality, I was questioning
    > one post, where the OP appeared (to me) to have been deliberately
    > blocked from browsing.
    >
    > <Quote from the poster you are referring to>
    > "am blocked from getting to any web pages, can't seem to change
    > the content advisor rating w/out a password which I don't have.
    > any ideas ?"
    >
    > To which I replied:
    > "Has anybody considered that the OP said, "password which I don't
    > have", ie. s/h/it may be a minor and has been deliberately blocked
    > from certain sites?"

    Fair enough, but now that the link has been archived on google, it will be a lot
    easier for anybody to find the answer.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 25, 2003
  17. Blinky the Shark

    trout Guest

    <snip>

    http://tinyurl.com/i2x4
    --
    "I think that cat's been pretty-much out of the bag for a while."

    trout, Jul 25, 2003