    I've tried just the two OCZ chips alone and in my current state, mixed
    with kingston 2gb modules.

    Cheers

    markm75, Dec 5, 2007

  2. markm75

    Baron Guest

    markm75 wrote:

    > Has anyone ever managed to get this boards memory to run at 667mhz..
    > i'm using pc2-5300 ram.. rated at 667, but it always shows up as 533.
    >
    > The bios rev. is 1.0b..
    >
    > I've tried just the two OCZ chips alone and in my current state, mixed
    > with kingston 2gb modules.
    >
    > Cheers

    That is because the CPU FSB is Locked at that speed.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 6, 2007

  3. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    On Dec 6, 1:58 pm, Baron <> wrote:
    > markm75 wrote:
    > > Has anyone ever managed to get this boards memory to run at 667mhz..
    > > i'm using pc2-5300 ram.. rated at 667, but it always shows up as 533.

    > > The bios rev. is 1.0b..

    > > I've tried just the two OCZ chips alone and in my current state, mixed
    > > with kingston 2gb modules.

    > > Cheers

    > That is because the CPU FSB is Locked at that speed.
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    Confused on that.. our CPU is a PD 820 series.. it has an 800mhz fsb,
    so it should be ok?

    http://computers.pricegrabber.com/processors-retail-box/m/9188031/

    markm75, Dec 6, 2007
  4. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    On Dec 6, 1:58 pm, Baron <> wrote:
    > markm75 wrote:
    > > Has anyone ever managed to get this boards memory to run at 667mhz..
    > > i'm using pc2-5300 ram.. rated at 667, but it always shows up as 533.

    > > The bios rev. is 1.0b..

    > > I've tried just the two OCZ chips alone and in my current state, mixed
    > > with kingston 2gb modules.

    > > Cheers

    > That is because the CPU FSB is Locked at that speed.
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    And looking at this chart.. it would indicate it would support 667mhz:

    http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showch...868124,868123,877077&familyID=1&culture=en-US

    markm75, Dec 6, 2007
  5. markm75

    Baron Guest

    markm75 wrote:

    > On Dec 6, 1:58 pm, Baron <> wrote:
    >> markm75 wrote:
    >> > Has anyone ever managed to get this boards memory to run at
    >> > 667mhz.. i'm using pc2-5300 ram.. rated at 667, but it always shows
    >> > up as 533.

    >> > The bios rev. is 1.0b..

    >> > I've tried just the two OCZ chips alone and in my current state,
    >> > mixed with kingston 2gb modules.

    >> > Cheers

    >> That is because the CPU FSB is Locked at that speed.
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > Confused on that.. our CPU is a PD 820 series.. it has an 800mhz fsb,
    > so it should be ok?
    >
    > http://computers.pricegrabber.com/processors-retail-box/m/9188031/

    The 820 runs at 400Mhz X 2 it takes two operations per clock ie 800Mhz
    fsb. Confused ?

    Its just marketing. DDR = Double data rate. It uses both edges of a
    400Mhz clock. The 533 that the BIOS shows is what the BIOS thinks your
    ram is or is set at. The CPU is clock locked and shouldn't let you run
    it any faster even if you deliberately select a higher speed.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 10, 2007
  6. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    On Dec 10, 2:40 pm, Baron <>
    wrote:
    > markm75wrote:

    > >> That is because the CPU FSB is Locked at that speed.
    > >> --
    > >> Best Regards:
    > >> Baron.

    > > Confused on that.. our CPU is a PD 820 series.. it has an 800mhz fsb,
    > > so it should be ok?

    > >http://computers.pricegrabber.com/processors-retail-box/m/9188031/

    > The 820 runs at 400Mhz X 2 it takes two operations per clock ie 800Mhz
    > fsb. Confused ?
    >
    > Its just marketing. DDR = Double data rate. It uses both edges of a
    > 400Mhz clock. The 533 that the BIOS shows is what the BIOS thinks your
    > ram is or is set at. The CPU is clock locked and shouldn't let you run
    > it any faster even if you deliberately select a higher speed.
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.- Hide quoted text -

    This was the specific reason SuperMicro actually just sent me.. as to
    why my ram wont run at 667 speed, it appears to be a "50 ohm ODT" lack
    of support in certain modules:

    "PDSME can support 667 MHz DDR. But if 50 Ohm ODT is not supported in
    memory module, BIOS will downgrade the speed to 533MHz. This is Intel
    MCH spec."

    markm75, Dec 10, 2007
  7. markm75

    Baron Guest

    markm75 wrote:

    > On Dec 10, 2:40 pm, Baron <>
    > wrote:
    >> markm75wrote:

    >> > Confused on that.. our CPU is a PD 820 series.. it has an 800mhz
    >> > fsb, so it should be ok?

    >> >http://computers.pricegrabber.com/processors-retail-box/m/9188031/

    >> The 820 runs at 400Mhz X 2 it takes two operations per clock ie
    >> 800Mhz
    >> fsb. Confused ?
    >>
    >> Its just marketing. DDR = Double data rate. It uses both edges of a
    >> 400Mhz clock. The 533 that the BIOS shows is what the BIOS thinks
    >> your
    >> ram is or is set at. The CPU is clock locked and shouldn't let you
    >> run it any faster even if you deliberately select a higher speed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.- Hide quoted text -

    > This was the specific reason SuperMicro actually just sent me.. as to
    > why my ram wont run at 667 speed, it appears to be a "50 ohm ODT" lack
    > of support in certain modules:
    >
    > "PDSME can support 667 MHz DDR. But if 50 Ohm ODT is not supported in
    > memory module, BIOS will downgrade the speed to 533MHz. This is Intel
    > MCH spec."

    I don't get the "50 ohm ODT" bit, the rest is PFC (par for the course).

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 11, 2007