SUPERMAN II: Donner's cut *confirmed*, plus much more

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ice Out of Hell, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

    "Yes... looks like it's true. We've known for a while now that Warner Home
    Video was working on new DVD special editions of the Superman films to tie
    in with the release of Bryan Singer's Superman Returns later this year (in
    theaters 6/30), but now we have the first actual confirmation... from Ilya
    Salkind, who co-produced the first three Superman films! Salkind has
    acknowledged that he's working with Warner on the new DVDs, and that all of
    the films in the series are being restored and given deluxe new special
    edition treatment, a-la last year's Batman Anthology collection. By far the
    best news in all this, is that it seems that Warner is FINALLY allowing
    Richard Donner to create his original director's cut of Superman II! How
    damn cool is that?! As many of you know, Donner directed Superman: The Movie
    and most of Superman II back to back, but was eventually fired from the
    sequel. Director Richard Lester was hired to replace him, and it's Lester's
    cut of the film that we've seen all these years. What's cool is that
    Lester's theatrical cut of the film is being given special edition treatment
    as well, so you'll be able to fully explore BOTH versions of Superman II on
    DVD this summer. Lester MAY even do an interview for the DVD - something
    he's been reluctant to do over the years given the controversy. This
    information comes from Salkind via The Superman Homepage fan site, which
    expects to publish a full interview with Salkind in the coming weeks. Very
    cool news indeed (though keep in mind that until Warner announces this set,
    it's all still unofficial). Thanks to Bits reader Matt K. for the heads-up
    on this.

    Gotta tell you, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the Man of Steel back
    in action this summer. Superman Returns is definitely THE movie I'm most
    anticipating for 2006."

    Link for The Superman Homepage here:
    http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=interview-salkind-SE

    The in-depth article on Superman Homepage has too much material to copy and
    paste, but Ilya Salkind says Time Warner is doing SE's on all four Superman
    films, plus Supergirl. Most of the major participants have either been
    interviewed for the commentaries or are expected to (i.e. Helen Slater).
    Even the crap films like Supergirl, and Supes III and IV have some
    redemptive value if they are done in special edition format.

    -------------------------------------
    Icebreaker
    http://007today.blogspot.com/
    "Where would Tina Turner be right now if she'd rolled over and said, "Hit me
    again, Ike, and this time put some stank on it!"? Rollin' on the river,
    that's where she'd be. But she's beyond Thunderdome, because she decided to
    send a message: Wake up, sisters! There is nooooooo such thing as a weaker
    sex!"
    Ice Out of Hell, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Ice Out of Hell

    Harkness Guest

    one, you're off-topic.

    two, you're eagerly awaiting that grand cinematic master Richard
    Donner's cut of a mediocre big budget film from the 70s? It's not
    exaclty Von Stroheim's cut of Greed, you know.

    John Harkness
    Harkness, Jan 27, 2006

  3. Ice Out of Hell

    Fuzzy Wazzy Guest

    \
    > one, you're off-topic.

    1. It's a movie
    2. It's a dvd
    3. Superman Returns is a soon to be 'current film'
    4. Superman II is a 'past film'
    5. You're an idiot.

    > two, you're eagerly awaiting that grand cinematic master Richard
    > Donner's cut of a mediocre big budget film from the 70s? It's not
    > exaclty Von Stroheim's cut of Greed, you know.

    It's Superman. He likes it. Leave him alone and go watch your crappy
    art film.
    Fuzzy Wazzy, Jan 27, 2006
  4. Ice Out of Hell

    Fred Phelps Guest

    Holy shit, that film sucked.

    Fred Phelps, Jan 27, 2006
  5. Fred Phelps wrote:

    > Holy shit, that film sucked.

    Probably, as noted in the article, because you were watching the Richard
    ("Superman III") Lester version--

    Thus bringing us back to our headline of note...

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 27, 2006
  6. Ice Out of Hell

    Guest

    Fred Phelps wrote:
    > Holy shit, that film sucked.

    1,2,3... or all of them???

    Superman-1 was I think an OK movie (for back then anyway)while
    Superman-2 was I think the best of the lot (good villians will make a
    movie better everytime),and as for 3 (and all the other "SUPER"films)
    well I have to agree it does Suck The Kryptonite Koolaid!

    > "Ice Out of Hell" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents
    > >
    > > "Yes... looks like it's true. We've known for a while now that Warner Home
    > > Video was working on new DVD special editions of the Superman films to tie
    > > in with the release of Bryan Singer's Superman Returns later this year (in
    > > theaters 6/30), but now we have the first actual confirmation... from Ilya
    > > Salkind, who co-produced the first three Superman films! Salkind has
    > > acknowledged that he's working with Warner on the new DVDs, and that all
    > > of the films in the series are being restored and given deluxe new special
    > > edition treatment, a-la last year's Batman Anthology collection. By far
    > > the best news in all this, is that it seems that Warner is FINALLY
    > > allowing Richard Donner to create his original director's cut of Superman
    > > II! How damn cool is that?! As many of you know, Donner directed Superman:
    > > The Movie and most of Superman II back to back, but was eventually fired
    > > from the sequel. Director Richard Lester was hired to replace him, and
    > > it's Lester's cut of the film that we've seen all these years. What's cool
    > > is that Lester's theatrical cut of the film is being given special edition
    > > treatment as well, so you'll be able to fully explore BOTH versions of
    > > Superman II on DVD this summer. Lester MAY even do an interview for the
    > > DVD - something he's been reluctant to do over the years given the
    > > controversy. This information comes from Salkind via The Superman Homepage
    > > fan site, which expects to publish a full interview with Salkind in the
    > > coming weeks. Very cool news indeed (though keep in mind that until Warner
    > > announces this set, it's all still unofficial). Thanks to Bits reader Matt
    > > K. for the heads-up on this.
    > >
    > > Gotta tell you, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the Man of Steel
    > > back in action this summer. Superman Returns is definitely THE movie I'm
    > > most anticipating for 2006."
    > >
    > > Link for The Superman Homepage here:
    > > http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=interview-salkind-SE
    > >
    > > The in-depth article on Superman Homepage has too much material to copy
    > > and paste, but Ilya Salkind says Time Warner is doing SE's on all four
    > > Superman films, plus Supergirl. Most of the major participants have either
    > > been interviewed for the commentaries or are expected to (i.e. Helen
    > > Slater). Even the crap films like Supergirl, and Supes III and IV have
    > > some redemptive value if they are done in special edition format.
    > >
    > > -------------------------------------
    > > Icebreaker
    > > http://007today.blogspot.com/
    > > "Where would Tina Turner be right now if she'd rolled over and said, "Hit
    > > me again, Ike, and this time put some stank on it!"? Rollin' on the river,
    > > that's where she'd be. But she's beyond Thunderdome, because she decided
    > > to send a message: Wake up, sisters! There is nooooooo such thing as a
    > > weaker sex!"

    , Jan 28, 2006
  7. Once Upon A Time Ice Out of Hell wrote:

    >Even the crap films like Supergirl, and Supes III and IV have some
    >redemptive value if they are done in special edition format.

    What makes you say that?

    **
    Captain Infinity
    Captain Infinity, Jan 28, 2006
  8. Ice Out of Hell

    Jordan Guest

    I'd like to get excited about the new Superman movie, really. Bryan
    Singer did a great job with the X-Men flicks... but everything I've
    seen about the new Superman makes it look...

    Well...

    http://robogeek.com/images/newsupes600.jpg

    Really gay... I mean... REALLY GAY. Not that there's anything wrong
    with that...

    Now if they were doing Miracleman/Marvelman sure... Perfect colors,
    perfect look. But Supes? No.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jan 28, 2006
  9. Ice Out of Hell

    Warchild Guest

    In article <>,
    "Jordan" <> wrote:

    > I'd like to get excited about the new Superman movie, really. Bryan
    > Singer did a great job with the X-Men flicks... but everything I've
    > seen about the new Superman makes it look...
    >
    > Well...
    >
    > http://robogeek.com/images/newsupes600.jpg
    >
    > Really gay... I mean... REALLY GAY. Not that there's anything wrong
    > with that...
    >
    > Now if they were doing Miracleman/Marvelman sure... Perfect colors,
    > perfect look. But Supes? No.
    >
    > - Jordan

    It is still a performance that has to be scripted and then acted. So
    perhaps the actor will carry it off.
    Warchild, Jan 28, 2006
  10. Jordan wrote:
    > I'd like to get excited about the new Superman movie, really. Bryan
    > Singer did a great job with the X-Men flicks... but everything I've
    > seen about the new Superman makes it look...
    >
    > Well...
    >
    > http://robogeek.com/images/newsupes600.jpg
    >
    > Really gay... I mean... REALLY GAY. Not that there's anything wrong
    > with that...

    Nobody minded when it was Christopher Reeve...

    Derek Janssen (not that there was anything wrong with *him*, either)
    Derek Janssen, Jan 28, 2006
  11. Once Upon A Time Jordan wrote:

    >I'd like to get excited about the new Superman movie, really. Bryan
    >Singer did a great job with the X-Men flicks... but everything I've
    >seen about the new Superman makes it look...
    >
    >Well...
    >
    >http://robogeek.com/images/newsupes600.jpg
    >
    >Really gay... I mean... REALLY GAY. Not that there's anything wrong
    >with that...

    I think it's due to the re-working of the overpants. The teeny tiny
    overpants with the protruding package just screams gay.

    Compare to Christopher Reeve in a similar pose:
    http://garaje.ya.com/supy55/nadiesuper1.jpg
    http://membres.lycos.fr/drhunter17/images/superman_Christopher Reeve.JPG

    **
    Captain Infinity
    Captain Infinity, Jan 28, 2006
  12. "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to get excited about the new Superman movie, really. Bryan
    > Singer did a great job with the X-Men flicks... but everything I've
    > seen about the new Superman makes it look...
    >
    > Well...
    >
    > http://robogeek.com/images/newsupes600.jpg
    >
    > Really gay... I mean... REALLY GAY. Not that there's anything wrong
    > with that...

    > Now if they were doing Miracleman/Marvelman sure... Perfect colors,
    > perfect look. But Supes? No.

    What's the problem here? The colors of the suit or the fact that Routh is
    buff? The color may look slightly different once we see footage and he's in
    motion. It's not my first choice for suit color, but I can deal. As for the
    new Superman looking "really gay"... What would you have done with the
    character? Go back to the days of George Reeves and an illfitting costume or
    a slight spare-tire? Don't player-hate on Routh just because he's muscular
    :) Not only is he muscular, but he's very tall. I really think he'll have
    the presence on screen to look imposing and intimidating.

    Actually, have a bit of sympathy for him. According to what I've read, his
    body was scanned by computers to nearly the molecular level, and he's got a
    fitness coach and a food monitor with him constantly and he's not allowed to
    gain even one pound. And you know that once filming is completely over he's
    going to be hitting the Old Country Buffet and packing on 20 lbs.

    -------------------------------------
    Ice Out of Hell, Jan 28, 2006
  13. "Captain Infinity" <> wrote in message
    > Once Upon A Time Ice Out of Hell wrote:
    >
    >>Even the crap films like Supergirl, and Supes III and IV have some
    >>redemptive value if they are done in special edition format.

    > What makes you say that?

    As a film fan, I'm intrigued by the creative process. I'd like to hear what
    these directors and actors thought about making these movies. There's some
    slight historical value to seeing Donner's cut, screen tests, deleted
    footage, etc...It's not going to change the basic horrific nature of
    Superman III, IV and SuperGirl, but it'll make them slightly
    more...palatable.

    -------------------------------------
    Ice Out of Hell, Jan 28, 2006
  14. "Captain Infinity" <> wrote in message

    > I think it's due to the re-working of the overpants. The teeny tiny
    > overpants with the protruding package just screams gay.
    >
    > Compare to Christopher Reeve in a similar pose:
    > http://garaje.ya.com/supy55/nadiesuper1.jpg
    > http://membres.lycos.fr/drhunter17/images/superman_Christopher Reeve.JPG

    Come on, let's be realistic. Going back and looking at Routh's "protuding
    package", I can safely say his kneecaps protroud more than his genital area.
    As has been well-documented by the press, the designers included a "package
    flatener" in the costume.

    Also, looking back at those pix of Reeve, I'm surprised by how huge the "S"
    was on his chest. I actually prefer the smaller logo on Routh's costume.

    -------------------------------------
    Ice Out of Hell, Jan 28, 2006
  15. Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Fred Phelps wrote:
    >
    > > Holy shit, that film sucked.

    > Probably, as noted in the article, because you were watching the Richard
    > ("Superman III") Lester version--

    I seriously doubt that. Everybody always seem to think producers don't
    know anyrhing and fire people to make a film worse.
    This was a bubblegum film and Donner was fired probably for a reason.

    Martin Koolhoven (who thought the first two Superman films were quite
    entertaining)
    http://www.knetterdefilm.nl
    http://www.hetschnitzelparadijs.nl
    Martin Koolhoven, Jan 28, 2006
  16. Ice Out of Hell <> wrote:

    > There's some
    > slight historical value to seeing Donner's cut, screen tests, deleted
    > footage, etc...It's not going to change the basic horrific nature of
    > Superman III, IV and SuperGirl, but it'll make them slightly
    > more...palatable.

    He had nothing to do with the films you mention.

    --
    Martin Koolhoven
    Martin Koolhoven, Jan 28, 2006
  17. Martin Koolhoven, Jan 28, 2006
  18. "Martin Koolhoven" <> wrote in message
    > Ice Out of Hell <> wrote:
    >
    >> There's some
    >> slight historical value to seeing Donner's cut, screen tests, deleted
    >> footage, etc...It's not going to change the basic horrific nature of
    >> Superman III, IV and SuperGirl, but it'll make them slightly
    >> more...palatable.

    > He had nothing to do with the films you mention.

    And? Did I say he did?

    -------------------------------------
    Ice Out of Hell, Jan 28, 2006
  19. Ice Out of Hell

    Steven L. Guest

    Harkness wrote:

    > one, you're off-topic.
    >
    > two, you're eagerly awaiting that grand cinematic master Richard
    > Donner's cut of a mediocre big budget film from the 70s?

    Superman II was released in 1981.

    --
    Steven D. Litvintchouk
    Email:

    Steven L., Jan 28, 2006
  20. Ice Out of Hell

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <>,
    "Jordan" <> wrote:

    > I'd like to get excited about the new Superman movie, really. Bryan
    > Singer did a great job with the X-Men flicks... but everything I've
    > seen about the new Superman makes it look...
    >
    > Well...
    >
    > http://robogeek.com/images/newsupes600.jpg
    >
    > Really gay... I mean... REALLY GAY. Not that there's anything wrong
    > with that...
    >
    > Now if they were doing Miracleman/Marvelman sure... Perfect colors,
    > perfect look. But Supes? No.
    >
    > - Jordan

    No I think it's the S on the belt (and the fact that the shield looks
    like it's rubber and the boots naugahide(?).

    dick
    -- but in the film it probably wont make much of a difference
    Dick Sidbury, Jan 28, 2006