    Do Superbit DVD's look or sound any better such as Wolfgang Peterson's Das
    Boot? Opinions please.

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Jan 26, 2004

  2. DVDfanatico

    Richard C. Guest

    "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : Do Superbit DVD's look or sound any better such as Wolfgang Peterson's Das
    : Boot? Opinions please.
    :
    =============================
    Not always.
    Their "Riverdance" was non-anamorphic and looks like crap!

    I returned it.
    ==============================

    Richard C., Jan 26, 2004

  3. DVDfanatico

    jayembee Guest

    (DVDfanatico) wrote:

    >Do Superbit DVD's look or sound any better such as Wolfgang Peterson's Das
    >Boot? Opinions please.

    Generally speaking, yes, they look better. I'm not convinced that they
    look better enough to trade off the extras that are on the
    non-Superbit releases, though. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is definitely an
    exception, though, as the Superbit release has an entirely new, and
    superior, transfer.

    I haven't seen the Superbit of DAS BOOT, so I can't comment on that
    specifically.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 26, 2004
  4. DVDfanatico

    joel Guest

    joel, Jan 26, 2004
  5. jayembee wrote:
    > (DVDfanatico) wrote:

    >> Do Superbit DVD's look or sound any better such as Wolfgang Peterson's
    >> Das Boot? Opinions please.

    > I haven't seen the Superbit of DAS BOOT, so I can't comment on that
    > specifically.

    As an owner of both the original flipper of _Das Boot_ and the Superbit,
    I'd say that the latter does indeed look somewhat better. But then, the
    original was a *very* early release, and I think any new release -- even
    using the same transfer, as the SB disc does -- was almost bound to be an
    improvement. Compression techniques have improved since the early days.

    I own three Superbit discs: _Lawrence of Arabia_ (because the SB is the
    only way to get the corrected transfer), _Das Boot_ (because it's a
    non-flipper re-issue) and _Panic Room_ (because it was, to date, the only
    edition of the film released in R1). They all look nice, but based on these
    three I'm not planning on rushing out to replace my copies of _The Mask of
    Zorro_ or _Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon_ with Superbit editions.

    HTH,

    doug

    --

    Don't call her at home, she's fucking with a slip of a man...

    Douglas Bailey, Jan 27, 2004