    Del March Guest

    If I had a Superbit disk of, say, Panic Room, and I didn't have the box, how
    would I distinguish it from the normal release disc?

    Del March, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Del March wrote:
    > If I had a Superbit disk of, say, Panic Room, and I didn't have the box,
    > how would I distinguish it from the normal release disc?

    Well, for R1, at least:

    If it's got pale-hued original poster art (Foster's face at bottom, with a
    figure silhouetted above/behind her) in a vertical stripe with black L/R
    borders, and the film title in red letters at the top, it's the original
    SuperBit disc.

    If it's got red-hued art with bright green laser-beams cutting across it,
    it's from the later three-disc Special Edition box.

    HTH,

    doug

    --
    "We say we love; it's the skin we're in..."
    --Bush

    Douglas Bailey, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Del March

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > Del March wrote:
    > > If I had a Superbit disk of, say, Panic Room, and I didn't have the

    box,
    > > how would I distinguish it from the normal release disc?

    > Well, for R1, at least:
    >
    > If it's got pale-hued original poster art (Foster's face at bottom,

    with a
    > figure silhouetted above/behind her) in a vertical stripe with black

    L/R
    > borders, and the film title in red letters at the top, it's the

    original
    > SuperBit disc.
    >
    > If it's got red-hued art with bright green laser-beams cutting across

    it,
    > it's from the later three-disc Special Edition box.

    The SuperBit disc has DTS, while the Special Edition copy only has Dolby
    Digital.

    Joshua Zyber, Aug 25, 2004
  4. Del March

    Dragon Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > > Del March wrote:
    > > > If I had a Superbit disk of, say, Panic Room, and I didn't have the

    > box,
    > > > how would I distinguish it from the normal release disc?

    > > Well, for R1, at least:
    > >
    > > If it's got pale-hued original poster art (Foster's face at bottom,

    > with a
    > > figure silhouetted above/behind her) in a vertical stripe with black

    > L/R
    > > borders, and the film title in red letters at the top, it's the

    > original
    > > SuperBit disc.
    > >
    > > If it's got red-hued art with bright green laser-beams cutting across

    > it,
    > > it's from the later three-disc Special Edition box.

    > The SuperBit disc has DTS, while the Special Edition copy only has Dolby
    > Digital.

    also it will say superbit at the bottom of the box cover like this

    http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=38430

    dave

    ---

    Dragon, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Dragon wrote:
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >> Douglas Bailey wrote:

    >>> [disc-art comparison snipped]

    >> [sound-format comparison snipped]

    > also it will say superbit at the bottom of the box cover like this
    >
    > http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=38430

    True, but not entirely useful, given that the OP has already indicated that
    he/she doesn't have the box.

    doug

    --
    "It's a semi-automatic; get in the car..."
    --The Sisters of Mercy

    Douglas Bailey, Aug 25, 2004
  6. Del March

    Rob Mac Guest

    "Del March" <> wrote in message
    > If I had a Superbit disk of, say, Panic Room, and I didn't have the box,

    how
    > would I distinguish it from the normal release disc?

    Well, put it in your player and start it up....when the Columbia/Tri-Star
    logo ends there's a nice SUPERBIT logo that sets up the SUPERBIT Menu
    Screen.

    Also, I believe the silk-screened face of the DVD says SUPERBIT, but I'm
    going from memory here as all of mine are in my changer and I'm too damn
    lazy to go get them out.

    Rob Mac, Aug 25, 2004
  7. Del March

    Biz Guest

    > Dragon wrote:
    > > Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > >> [sound-format comparison snipped]

    > > also it will say superbit at the bottom of the box cover like this
    > >
    > > http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=38430

    > True, but not entirely useful, given that the OP has already indicated

    that
    > he/she doesn't have the box.

    How do you end up with say a Superbit version of Panic Room, and not have
    teh box? And not know what version it it?

    Biz, Aug 25, 2004
  8. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:05:08 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >"Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    >> Dragon wrote:

    >> > also it will say superbit at the bottom of the box cover like this
    >> >
    >> > http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=38430

    >> True, but not entirely useful, given that the OP has already indicated

    >that
    >> he/she doesn't have the box.

    >How do you end up with say a Superbit version of Panic Room, and not have
    >teh box? And not know what version it it?

    Boy, you guys... It's a rhetorical question, he's asking how IF the
    box happened to be missing ... how the DVD itself would be different
    from a non-superbit issue.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 25, 2004
  9. Del March

    Del March Guest

    << >><BR><BR>
    > "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > > Del March wrote:
    > > > If I had a Superbit disk of, say, Panic Room, and I didn't have the

    > box,
    > > > how would I distinguish it from the normal release disc?

    > > Well, for R1, at least:
    > >
    > > If it's got pale-hued original poster art (Foster's face at bottom,

    > with a
    > > figure silhouetted above/behind her) in a vertical stripe with black

    > L/R
    > > borders, and the film title in red letters at the top, it's the

    > original
    > > SuperBit disc.
    > >
    > > If it's got red-hued art with bright green laser-beams cutting across

    > it,
    > > it's from the later three-disc Special Edition box.

    > The SuperBit disc has DTS, while the Special Edition copy only has Dolby
    > Digital.

    also it will say superbit at the bottom of the box cover like this

    http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=38430

    dave >><BR><BR>

    This is a great answer, considering that the original question, which you even
    quoted, asked about the disk itself, not the box.

    Del March, Aug 25, 2004
  10. Del March

    Del March Guest

    << How do you end up with say a Superbit version of Panic Room, and not have
    teh box? And not know what version it it? >><BR><BR>
    In fact, I do have the box. I'm puzzled that the disk itself does not say that
    it's superbit. There's nothing on the label, and nothing in the menus. The
    menus are animated, and has extras like filmographies and a trailer. It does
    have DTS sound available, but the total content is only 5.83 GB.

    This is my first Superbit purchase (from eBay). It was sealed and cheap, and
    I'm not complaining, but I was just wondering if someone pulled a fast one. If
    I didn't have the box, I'd have no indication which version this is.

    I've further read that only two versions were made, and that the other one has
    a commentary track. (Mine doesn't.) So mine's probably the Superbit version.
    But with over 2 GB to spare, and extras included, it doesn't really fit the
    popular definition of the Superbit paradigm.

    Del March, Aug 25, 2004
  11. Del March

    jayembee Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote:

    > How do you end up with say a Superbit version of Panic Room,
    > and not have teh box? And not know what version it it?

    Actually, that would be pretty easy. All it takes is buying
    a used copy from Blockbuster, which often sells off its
    previewed DVDs in their own funky cases rather than in the
    original packaging.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 25, 2004
  12. Del March

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Del March" <> wrote in message
    > In fact, I do have the box. I'm puzzled that the disk itself does not

    say that
    > it's superbit. There's nothing on the label, and nothing in the

    menus. The
    > menus are animated, and has extras like filmographies and a trailer.

    It does
    > have DTS sound available, but the total content is only 5.83 GB.

    This movie, Adapatation, and Panic Room are all what I call "fake
    SuperBits". They were not originally put into production with any
    intention of being SuperBits, but when the home video department
    realized that they weren't going to have much in the way of "added value
    content" to put on the discs, they said, "Hey, let's slap a DTS track on
    there and call it SuperBit!".

    That's why they don't have the normal SuperBit packaging, have animated
    menus (a SuperBit no-no) and have a small assortment of extras like
    filmographies and trailers.

    Joshua Zyber, Aug 26, 2004
  13. Del March

    Stuart Guest

    Stuart, Aug 27, 2004
  14. Del March

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > Del March wrote:
    >
    >> If I had a Superbit disk of, say, Panic Room, and I didn't have the
    >> box, how
    >> would I distinguish it from the normal release disc?

    > Best way to tell if it is really Superbit is to use a computer program
    > which shows the bitrate like this one
    >
    > http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/bitrate_viewer.cfm
    >

    > Stuart

    but "SuperBit" is a brand name which has nothing to do with quality --
    by that I mean that they (Columbia?) has the right to call anything they
    want Superbit and no one else can use that name.

    dick
    -- but a bitrate viewer can certainly be used to show the relative bit
    rates for various releases.

    Dick Sidbury, Aug 27, 2004
  15. Del March

    Stuart Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > but "SuperBit" is a brand name which has nothing to do with quality --
    > by that I mean that they (Columbia?) has the right to call anything they
    > want Superbit and no one else can use that name.
    >
    > dick
    > -- but a bitrate viewer can certainly be used to show the relative bit
    > rates for various releases.

    Interesting, Superbit is all about having a higher quality version of a
    film with the addition of better sound and also the removal of any extras.

    This is what Superbit is supposed to be

    http://timefordvd.com/feature/Superbit.shtml

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 27, 2004