    The Patriot.. .. might it be any better on superbit, maybe?

    Thanks

    No mail, please .. [no incoming mailbox]
    Invalid Address, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Invalid Address

    Nick Guest

    I'd be interested in knowing if you could spot any differences on a 32" CRT

    Nick, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Invalid Address

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Invalid Address" <> wrote in message
    > Do any of these really have a noticeable difference?

    From the faq at http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html :

    Is there a noticeable difference in the Superbit
    version of a movie...?
    The whole "point" of Superbit is to have superior
    sound and video quality for the movie. If you compare
    a superbit version with a non-superbit version,
    chances are, superbit is better quality, even if there
    are no extras... but now the studio seems to be
    getting into "Superbit Deluxe" where one disc is a
    high-quality video/audio transfer of the film, and the
    second disc is a bunch of extras.

    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Jan 27, 2005
  4. Invalid Address

    Biz Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > I'd be interested in knowing if you could spot any differences on a 32"

    CRT

    Buy one and find out. I did and it was worth it for the full bitrate DTS
    track alone...
    Biz, Jan 27, 2005
  5. Invalid Address

    RichA Guest

    http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/what_is_superbit.html
    RichA, Jan 28, 2005
  6. Invalid Address

    Frohike Guest

    The Fifth Element, bud. While watching it, you can check if your video
    calibration is off.

    Frohike, Jan 28, 2005
  7. Invalid Address

    Zimmy Guest

    The accepted theory is you won't find much difference unless you have a
    large display and know what to look for.

    I would suggest SuperBits that actually use a different transfer and there
    are only a few...

    Lawrence of Arabia (same transfer but color timed differently)
    Desperado

    I would also suggest Spider-Man 2 since the original disc is very highly
    compressed.

    Zimmy, Jan 28, 2005
  8. Invalid Address

    Nick Guest

    Yeah I'm going to get Gattaca and Black Hawk Down on superbit just for the
    DTS - not bothered about extras for these two. (The Gattaca extras are
    rubbish anyway). I'd be interested to know if anyone's spotted any real
    visible improvements (like that Spiderman 2 one)

    Nick, Jan 28, 2005
  9. Invalid Address

    Rob Mac Guest

    "Frohike" <> wrote in message
    > The Fifth Element, bud. While watching it, you can check if your video
    > calibration is off.
    >
    > "Invalid Address" <> wrote in message
    >> Do any of these really have a noticeable difference?
    >>
    >> What would be a good superbit disk to show off the capabilites of, say..
    >> my 42" widescreen sony hdtv and progressive scan player?
    >>
    >> The Patriot.. .. might it be any better on superbit, maybe?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> No mail, please .. [no incoming mailbox]

    Beat me to it...the "Fifth Element" SuperBit DVD is one of my "Show Discs"
    to give visitors a good show of my HT. The DTS track is deep and clear and
    the picture is impecable. Leeloo's "Ledge Walk" after being created is a
    great scene (very visually detailed and sonically active). There's a marked
    improvement over the "regular" Fifth Element DVD (especially since the SB
    edition includes DTS).
    Rob Mac, Jan 28, 2005
  10. Invalid Address

    Biz Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah I'm going to get Gattaca and Black Hawk Down on superbit just for the
    > DTS - not bothered about extras for these two. (The Gattaca extras are
    > rubbish anyway). I'd be interested to know if anyone's spotted any real
    > visible improvements (like that Spiderman 2 one)

    As was already pointed out, if you have a nice display larger than 32" or
    so, AND a good quality DVD player, AND a good sound system, they are well
    worth it.

    If you have a 19" tv, one of those Craponics $50 throwaway dvd players, and
    listen to the audio through your tv, save your money..

    Biz, Jan 28, 2005
  11. Invalid Address

    Guest

    Zimmy wrote:

    > The accepted theory is you won't find much difference unless you have

    > large display and know what to look for.
    >
    > I would suggest SuperBits that actually use a different transfer and

    there
    > are only a few...

    This is good advice. The "differences" are generally seen only
    between Superbit versions and older versions originally mastered using
    now-obsolete tools and techniques. Any well-mastered mainstream
    release today is going to have near-optimal picture quality. In fact,
    the need to include DTS actually works *against* Superbit in some
    cases, as the DTS track takes up about 4x more bit bandwidth than an
    equivalent Dolby Digital track. This means that on really busy and
    noisy scenes -- the ones that really count -- SuperBit has *less* video
    bandwidth to work with than a decently-mastered "regular" disc with DD
    only. And since most big-release discs with lots of extras are now on
    2 discs the "no commentaries or extras" pitch is pretty meaningless.

    Superbit has always been mostly hype; more recently it's nearly all
    hype.

    JGM
    , Jan 29, 2005
  12. Invalid Address

    Bill Turner Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:28:30 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >If you have a 19" tv, one of those Craponics $50 throwaway dvd players, and
    >listen to the audio through your tv, save your money..

    Out of curiosity, what to the Craponics brand DVD players lack? Mainly
    I'm curious if it is playback quality, bells and whistles, or both?

    --
    BT
    Bill Turner, Jan 29, 2005
  13. Invalid Address

    Biz Guest

    "Bill Turner" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:28:30 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >
    > >If you have a 19" tv, one of those Craponics $50 throwaway dvd players,

    and
    > >listen to the audio through your tv, save your money..

    > Out of curiosity, what to the Craponics brand DVD players lack? Mainly
    > I'm curious if it is playback quality, bells and whistles, or both?

    playback quality, which is what superbit is all about in the first place,
    and of course any sense of security that the unit will last long enough to
    actually see a movie on it. They use the cheapest of parts available(power
    supplies, video dacs, audio dacs)
    Biz, Jan 29, 2005
  14. Invalid Address

    Large Farva Guest

    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:28:30 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you have a 19" tv, one of those Craponics $50 throwaway dvd players,
    >>and
    >>listen to the audio through your tv, save your money..

    > Out of curiosity, what to the Craponics brand DVD players lack? Mainly
    > I'm curious if it is playback quality, bells and whistles, or both?

    Poor video output, poor audio output, no reliability, lots of problems
    reading less than perfect media....
    Large Farva, Jan 30, 2005
  15. Nick wrote:
    > Yeah I'm going to get Gattaca and Black Hawk Down on superbit just
    > for the DTS - not bothered about extras for these two. (The Gattaca
    > extras are rubbish anyway). I'd be interested to know if anyone's
    > spotted any real visible improvements (like that Spiderman 2 one)

    As far as "Gattaca" is concerned, the deleted scenes on the original
    release are worth at least a rental as it does explain a few small details.
    I will however say that the Superbit edition blows away the original
    in both picture and sound.

    Spiderman 2 according to Digital Bits for the Superbit shows far
    less compression artifacts along with other detail improvements.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jan 30, 2005
  16. Invalid Address

    Doonie Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:39:21 GMT, Biz wrote:

    >Buy one and find out. I did and it was worth it for the full bitrate DTS
    >track alone...

    Superbit DVDs have half bitrate DTS tracks.
    Doonie, Jan 31, 2005
  17. Invalid Address

    Zimmy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Zimmy wrote:
    > This is good advice. The "differences" are generally seen only
    > between Superbit versions and older versions originally mastered using
    > now-obsolete tools and techniques. Any well-mastered mainstream
    > release today is going to have near-optimal picture quality. In fact,
    > the need to include DTS actually works *against* Superbit in some
    > cases, as the DTS track takes up about 4x more bit bandwidth than an
    > equivalent Dolby Digital track. This means that on really busy and
    > noisy scenes -- the ones that really count -- SuperBit has *less* video
    > bandwidth to work with than a decently-mastered "regular" disc with DD
    > only. And since most big-release discs with lots of extras are now on
    > 2 discs the "no commentaries or extras" pitch is pretty meaningless.
    >
    > Superbit has always been mostly hype; more recently it's nearly all
    > hype.
    >
    > JGM

    The funny thing about SuperBit is it shows how Sony needs a special process
    to master a disc properly.
    I bought DareDevil directors cut the same day as Spider-Man2 Superbit and it
    was every bit as good if not better than any Superbit.
    It also included DTS and a commentary.
    Zimmy, Feb 1, 2005