    I would be playing them on a Panasonic DVD-S35 Progressive Scan/Component to
    a Phillips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV.

    Thanks.

    Sam, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Sam

    jayembee Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote:

    >I was considering getting "The Fifth Element" and "Starship Troopers" on
    >Superbit DVD. I have read the raves about the so called technology behind
    >it on the Superbit websitrsite. I have also read many many reviews around
    >the web and feelings about Superbit seem very very mixed.

    There's no special "technology" involved beyond what's normally used
    for DVD authoring. It's just a matter of allocating as many bits
    toward the video and audio as possible.

    >Can anyone who has any Superbit titles tell me of your feelings about it?
    >Are they worth it?

    I've seen other titles from various labels that are every bit (no pun
    intended) as good as Superbit releases, but without the hoopla.

    I've only bothered with two (well, three) Superbit titles. LAWRENCE OF
    ARABIA was definitely an improvement over the original release, but
    that was because Columbia consulted Robert Harris, and made a new
    transfer with different color timing decisions. That, more than bit
    allocation, makes it a good buy.

    THE MASK OF ZORRO I picked up, but only because I was able to find it
    at Best Buy for $15.00, and it was one of their "Superbit Deluxe"
    titles, meaning that it included a second disk of extras (in fact,
    it's exactly the same second disk that was in the previous "Special
    Edition" release).

    The third was PANIC ROOM, the Superbit edition being the only release
    the film has on DVD.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Just turn the chair, and grow Sam hair

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was considering getting "The Fifth Element" and "Starship Troopers"
    > on Superbit DVD.

    Get the new R2 2 disc Fifth Element - not out yet - should be as good but
    with extras.

    > I have read the raves about the so called technology behind it on the
    > Superbit websitrsite. I have also read many many reviews around the
    > web and feelings about Superbit seem very very mixed.

    superbit - its a made up word. just marketing hype

    > Can anyone who has any Superbit titles tell me of your feelings about
    > it? Are they worth it?

    someof them are. Gladiator isnt as the normal release has 6.1 DTS on it
    and extras, but the superbit only has 5.1 DTS and no extras.

    Fifth elenent.. well the R3 is ok as its cheap, the normal R1 non
    superbit is a good disc, no dts tho.. but maybe wait for the 2 disc r2.

    starship troopers.. not sure.. consider the R1 SE version.

    its hit an miss really.. a lot of superbit titles as rehashes of titles
    what just didnt sell the first time round. the DTS is a nice addition
    but its rare to see a significant difference if at all, in the video
    transfer.

    David Beamish, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Sam

    Doonie Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:34:15 GMT, Sam wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I was considering getting "The Fifth Element" and "Starship Troopers" on
    >Superbit DVD.
    >I have read the raves about the so called technology behind it on the
    >Superbit websitrsite. I have also read many many reviews around the web and
    >feelings about Superbit seem very very mixed.

    The quality of mastering on the various Superbit releases has been
    very mixed. That's the problem. Just cranking the bitrate way up
    doesn't solve everything.
    You won't disappointed with the two titles you mentioned, though.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Sam

    Evil Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message news:<X1Fub.93115$jy.35153@clgrps13>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was considering getting "The Fifth Element" and "Starship Troopers" on
    > Superbit DVD.
    > I have read the raves about the so called technology behind it on the
    > Superbit websitrsite. I have also read many many reviews around the web and
    > feelings about Superbit seem very very mixed.
    >
    > Can anyone who has any Superbit titles tell me of your feelings about it?
    > Are they worth it?
    >
    > I would be playing them on a Panasonic DVD-S35 Progressive Scan/Component to
    > a Phillips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Just a note about superbit titles. In Japan, they have different
    titles released superbit than in the us.

    JURASSIC PARK I,II,III
    CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
    STAND BY ME
    DR STRANGELOVE
    GLORY
    BAD BOYS
    SPIDERMAN
    LEGEND OF THE FALL
    IN THE LINE OF FIRE
    MUMMY RETURNS
    A FEW GOOD MEN
    FAST AND THE FURIOUS

    interesting.

    btw, has anyone seen the CIRQUE DU SOLEIL DRALION or THE LES MIS DREAM
    CAST superbit? if so, how are they and how do they compare to the
    standard releases?

    Evil, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Well, they're not rip-offs. It varies from movie to movie. In some
    cases, such as Gladiator, most reviewers were hard-pressed to tell more
    than a small difference between picture and audio quality (the better
    your equipment the better you will notice the difference). In other
    cases there is a considerable difference between a the standard release
    of a movie and it's Superbit doppelganger (Labyrinth), in audio and
    video. Yes, you lose the extras, but you can always get the library's
    standard version to check those out, right? :)

    BTW, you won't notice any difference at all if you're not calibrating
    your tv:

    http://www.videoessentials.com/

    Which you can buy for cheap here:

    http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=VMG010712

    DON'T think this is some rip-off. You NEED this, it's as important as
    your cables, your receiver, your tv, or any other piece of equipment.
    No, I don't work for them.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Sam

    Shinner Guest

    (Evil) wrote in

    > Just a note about superbit titles. In Japan, they have different
    > titles released superbit than in the us.
    >
    > GLORY

    Would like to see that...

    > BAD BOYS

    Available in the US too...

    Shinner, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Sam

    Mr Muckle Guest

    "Shinner" <> wrote in message
    > (Evil) wrote in
    >
    > > Just a note about superbit titles. In Japan, they have different
    > > titles released superbit than in the us.
    > >
    > > GLORY

    > Would like to see that...
    >

    > > BAD BOYS

    > Available in the US too...

    I took the plunge and ordered the Spiderman Superbit from Amazon Japan.

    Here's the current list of "Notable" DTS releases in Japan:
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/movie/special/dts/index.html
    One of my favorite titles released only in Japan w/DTS, and absent from this
    list, is "Frequency" with Dennis Quaid:
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0186151/
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DZ-10

    Here are the Japan Superbits: