    noticable or not?

    thanks
    Mike
    Mike, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Mike

    What The! Guest

    on good quality equipment, yes, it is a noticable difference. Some DVD's
    more than others.

    What The!, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Mike

    Mark Jones Guest

    "What The!" <> wrote in message
    > on good quality equipment, yes, it is a noticable difference. Some DVD's
    > more than others.

    This is certainly true. You have to have a really good TV
    and audio system or you probably won't be able to tell
    the difference.
    Mark Jones, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Mike

    Writer R5 Guest

    Dear Mike:

    A lot really depends on both the title and the equipment. Generally speaking I
    prefer to Superbit discs to their counterparts. Sometimes the Superbit is a
    definite upgrade all the way around because the previous version was released
    quite early in the DVD format days. I also take into consideration what is the
    most important to me, which is picture and sound quality. I love extras, but
    sometimes I find that I probably will never listen to view certain bonus
    features on various discs again because I'm just not as interested as I would
    be for another title.

    I also prefer DTS sound to DD so I like the Superbits because they offer that
    option on titles that had not previously offered that option. Sometimes I'll
    keep both the SE or DE as well as the Superbit if I really love the film and
    extras.

    So as you can see it is very subjective, but if you want the best sound and
    picture quality from a CTHE DVD and you don't mind sacrificing extra features
    or don't care about them at all, then the Superbit series is worth a look.

    Mark
    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    Writer R5, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    thanks for the info, very helpful! can you explain the difference between
    DTS sound and DD sound? I think I only have one DVD with DTS and that's Die
    Hard Special Edition.

    thanks
    Mike

    Mike, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Mike

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > having never actually seen one of these 'superbit' DVD's I'm just curious to
    > know how much better they look compared to your average DVD. Is it very
    > noticable or not?
    >
    > thanks
    > Mike

    My collection has 4 superbit movies in it (I think. I can't make DVD
    profiler list only my superbit titles.) Charlie's Angels, Panic Room,
    Adaptation, and Lawrence of Arabia. You can only make a rational
    comparison when you're comparing a superbit dvd with the same movie not
    in superbit form. Lawrence of Arabia is the only one of the above that
    I have in both forms. I don't think Panic room or Adaptation were
    available in non-superbit format. I don't really think that Superbit
    makes it any better BUT sometimes there are changes in addition to
    superbit that does make a difference. the Superbit version of Lawrence
    of Arabia is clearly (IMHO) superior to the regular version, but that's
    not so much because of superbit as it is because the print from which
    the superbit was made has better color balance. Superbit uses DTS which
    some people believe sounds better than DD. But once again it's hard to
    say because this could be because of a different sound mix. In general
    I think the difference is subtle enough that I'd prefer the extras that
    are likely to come on the non-superbit version.

    My main TV is a 61" sony 4:3 with anamorphic squeeze connected with a
    separate audio system and my bedroom TV is a Samsung with anamorphic
    squeeze that can be changed to hi-def (without the hidef tuner) by
    entering a secret code via the remote control. It may be the case that
    if you have very high end equipment that you'll be able to see a difference.

    Also I'd emphasize that Superbit is a tradename so only Columbia
    releases are in superbit. There are lots of movies from other studios
    that are visually and sonically the equal of superbit DVDs.

    All IMHO.
    YMMV.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Mike

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > thanks for the info, very helpful! can you explain the difference between
    > DTS sound and DD sound? I think I only have one DVD with DTS and that's

    Die
    > Hard Special Edition.

    DTS sounds better. It's less compressed and has a more dynamic sound.
    Pug Fugley, Jul 11, 2004
  8. Mike

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:22:44 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    >"Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> thanks for the info, very helpful! can you explain the difference between
    >> DTS sound and DD sound? I think I only have one DVD with DTS and that's

    >Die
    >> Hard Special Edition.

    >DTS sounds better. It's less compressed and has a more dynamic sound.

    Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Jul 11, 2004
  9. Rutgar wrote:
    > Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    > DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    That's funny since nearly every disc I have that has DD and DTS I can
    hear a clear difference between the two.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jul 11, 2004
  10. Mike

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:22:44 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Mike" <> wrote in message
    > >> thanks for the info, very helpful! can you explain the difference

    between
    > >> DTS sound and DD sound? I think I only have one DVD with DTS and

    that's
    > >Die
    > >> Hard Special Edition.

    > >DTS sounds better. It's less compressed and has a more dynamic sound.
    > >

    > Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    > DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    Anyone who says that has shitty equipment. I can easily hear the improvement
    in a DTS track.
    Pug Fugley, Jul 11, 2004
  11. Mike

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:11:53 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    >"Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:22:44 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Mike" <> wrote in message

    >between

    >that's
    >> >Die
    >> >
    >> >DTS sounds better. It's less compressed and has a more dynamic sound.
    >> >

    >> Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    >> DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    >Anyone who says that has shitty equipment. I can easily hear the improvement
    >in a DTS track.

    I have over $40,000 in my system. And I'll say again, a quality DD
    soundtrack is every bit as good as a DTS sound track. What? Do you
    think that SW Ep. I & II, and LOTR's DD tracks sound bad? (Just to
    mention a couple). Not hardly. IMO, you can put DTS being better
    than DD in the same category as $1500.00 power cords, and painting
    your CD's green improving your sound as well.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Jul 12, 2004
  12. Mike

    Biz Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > having never actually seen one of these 'superbit' DVD's I'm just curious

    > know how much better they look compared to your average DVD. Is it very
    > noticable or not?
    >
    > thanks
    > Mike

    On a regular 25-32" tv, not much. BUt if you have nice larger display,
    especially HDTV capable, progressive/anamorphic capable, they can really
    shine.

    Plus dont they all have DTS audio? which can be better than DD if done
    right....I almost always prefer the DTS audio to DD when I have a choice.

    Of course you need a decent sound system as well
    Biz, Jul 12, 2004
  13. Mike

    Biz Guest

    http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    Biz, Jul 12, 2004
  14. Mike

    Biz Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message

    > Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    > DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    I guess that would completely explain why they sound different then......

    Almost noone said that one was better than the other, just different and
    that most prefer the DTS track when its a choice.

    If you cant hear the difference, again I'm not saying one is better than the
    other, have your hearing checked. When both are quality audio tracks they
    do sound different.
    Biz, Jul 12, 2004
  15. Mike

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

    > Rutgar wrote:
    >
    >>Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    >>DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    > That's funny since nearly every disc I have that has DD and DTS I can
    > hear a clear difference between the two.

    How many of them use the same mix? And how do you know?

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jul 12, 2004
  16. Mike

    Writer R5 Guest

    >can you explain the difference between
    >DTS sound and DD sound

    They are both digital sound options. I like the aggressive quality of DTS over
    DD, which is a bit more subtle. Do you have a home theater receiver at home
    with both DD/DTS Decoders?

    Writer R5, Jul 12, 2004
  17. Mike

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:11:53 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Rutgar" <> wrote in message

    > >between

    > >that's

    > >> Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    > >> DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    > >Anyone who says that has shitty equipment. I can easily hear the

    improvement
    > >in a DTS track.
    > >

    > I have over $40,000 in my system. And I'll say again, a quality DD
    > soundtrack is every bit as good as a DTS sound track.

    Perhaps you should have used that $40,000 to get your ears fixed.

    What? Do you
    > think that SW Ep. I & II, and LOTR's DD tracks sound bad?

    No, but DTS would sound better.

    (Just to
    > mention a couple). Not hardly. IMO, you can put DTS being better
    > than DD in the same category as $1500.00 power cords, and painting
    > your CD's green improving your sound as well.

    I guess that shows exactly how little you know about audio then.
    Pug Fugley, Jul 12, 2004
  18. Mike

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    > Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
    >
    > > Rutgar wrote:
    > >
    > >>Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    > >>DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    > > That's funny since nearly every disc I have that has DD and DTS I can
    > > hear a clear difference between the two.
    > >

    > How many of them use the same mix? And how do you know?

    I have quite a few concert DVD's with DD and DTS on the same disc which is
    nice because you can switch them with a push of a button. DTS always sounds
    cleaner with greater headroom and more dynamics. Sheryl Crow Rockin' The
    Globe and Santana Supernatural come to mind right away.
    Pug Fugley, Jul 12, 2004
  19. Mike

    Rutgar Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 01:55:45 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    >> >Anyone who says that has shitty equipment. I can easily hear the

    >improvement
    >> >in a DTS track.
    >> >

    >> I have over $40,000 in my system. And I'll say again, a quality DD
    >> soundtrack is every bit as good as a DTS sound track.

    >Perhaps you should have used that $40,000 to get your ears fixed.

    Well, make up your mind. First you say I have shitty equipment, then
    you say it's my ears. You really don't have clue do you?

    > What? Do you
    >> think that SW Ep. I & II, and LOTR's DD tracks sound bad?

    >No, but DTS would sound better.

    That's just your opinion.

    > (Just to
    >> mention a couple). Not hardly. IMO, you can put DTS being better
    >> than DD in the same category as $1500.00 power cords, and painting
    >> your CD's green improving your sound as well.

    >I guess that shows exactly how little you know about audio then.

    Oh, so you admit that you paint your CD's green.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Jul 12, 2004
  20. Mike

    Rutgar Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 01:03:53 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >"Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Horse Shit. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
    >> DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

    >I guess that would completely explain why they sound different then......

    My point is, is that both formats sound really good, and one isn't
    necessarily better than the other.

    >Almost no one said that one was better than the other,

    Did you not read the post I replied to? That's exactly what was said.

    > just different and
    >that most prefer the DTS track when its a choice.

    Hmm, actually on many of the DVD's that I have, that have both tracks,
    I often find I like the DD track better.

    >If you cant hear the difference, again I'm not saying one is better than the
    >other, have your hearing checked. When both are quality audio tracks they
    >do sound different.

    LOL! My hearing is perfectly fine.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Jul 12, 2004