Super Speed Broadband Seen Over Cable TV in 2006

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
    plans or capped 2megabit plans..

    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14522

    Broadband Internet access via TV cables can reach 100 Megabits per
    second as early as next year, 50 times faster than the average broadband
    speeds now offered to cable TV homes, a Finnish firm said on Wednesday.

    Similar data transmission speeds are possible over fibre networks, but
    these cost much more for the operators to build.

    Teleste, whose rivals include big U.S. firms Scientific Atlanta and
    Cisco Systems Inc. , said it would early next year bring to the market
    its Ethernet to the Home product which will give consumers access to
    100Mb/s speed.

    The sector is closely followed by big technology firms. Last month
    Sweden's Ericsson offered $51 million to buy Norwegian firm AXXESSIT ,
    which makes broadband ethernet access equipment for telecom operators.
    To accelerate the transmission speed Teleste fits ethernet -- a cheap
    and standard transport method for Internet data over broadband networks
    -- into cable television networks.

    It said it expects first rival technology to be on the market at the
    earliest in the second-quarter of 2007.

    Teleste is running a field-trial with cable TV service provider Essent
    in Netherlands, but not yet at the top speeds it expects most homes will
    need in a few years time.

    "Based on our research 30 Megabits per second is the absolute minimum in
    future homes. Just one TV program would take 10-20 Megabits per second
    of this alone. So, very fast we would reach a need for 30 Megabits, and
    also for 50 Megabits per second," Pekka Rissanen, a Teleste executive
    told a news conference.

    Rissanen said the cost of connecting a home with the new
    ethernet-to-the-home technology can vary between 50 euros ($60.28) and
    200 euros ($241).

    CEO Rinnevaara declined to say how much the new technology could boost
    Teleste's sales or profits in the next 12 months.
    Nova, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Nova

    thingy Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
    > plans or capped 2megabit plans..

    The future isnt as bad as it sounds....

    There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade
    the easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy,
    and subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be broken
    and badly.

    So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 22, 2005

  3. Nova

    Nova Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
    >> plans or capped 2megabit plans..

    > The future isnt as bad as it sounds....
    >
    > There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade
    > the easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy,
    > and subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be broken
    > and badly.
    >
    > So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I certainly hope so...
    Nova, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Nova

    thingy Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Nova wrote:
    >>
    >>> and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
    >>> plans or capped 2megabit plans..

    >> The future isnt as bad as it sounds....
    >>
    >> There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade
    >> the easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy,
    >> and subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be
    >> broken and badly.
    >>
    >> So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.
    >>
    >> ;]
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > I certainly hope so...

    I am starting to look at some stuff that will upset the incubants, it is
    almost certainly going to happen, it would take the Government to stop
    it and they want it.

    So unless we see a change of government and the Nats squash it, it is
    going to happen.

    http://www.ngi-nz.co.nz/news/pressrelease/nr1070502469.html

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Nova

    Bluey Guest

    So you think it is an advancement to use a limited system that is not
    connected to the PSTN? Sure you can produce a system that has very wide
    bandwidth for a very limited number of people but dont expect everyone
    to use it. Certain things may be missing - such as the internet.

    Bluey, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Nova

    thingy Guest

    Bluey wrote:
    > So you think it is an advancement to use a limited system that is not
    > connected to the PSTN? Sure you can produce a system that has very wide
    > bandwidth for a very limited number of people but dont expect everyone
    > to use it. Certain things may be missing - such as the internet.

    8><----

    I am talking more in terms of businesses and CBD occupants and that
    covers a lot of people/companies. If you live in the boondocks your
    choice is a lot more limited, that's your choice.

    In terms of National and International bandwidth, these look to be about
    to come a lot cheaper, this means ISPs will have lower costs so while
    dialup is not getting any faster it could indeed should get cheaper...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 24, 2005
  7. thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Nova wrote:
    >> and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
    >> plans or capped 2megabit plans..

    > The future isnt as bad as it sounds....
    >
    > There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade the
    > easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy, and
    > subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be broken and
    > badly.
    >
    > So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Yeah yeah - believe when i see.