Super Hidden folders

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by M. Murcek, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    What happens if you type C:\Windows\System32\Config in the Run box and hit
    OK?

    M. Murcek, Jul 27, 2005

  2. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    Sounds like a bug in Windows Explorer...

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  4. M. Murcek

    Ted Guest

    Opens the folder OK.

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  5. 1.) Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"
    2.) Make sure you're using 64-bit Windows Explorer.

    Your view of what is in the folder will depend on which version of Windows
    Explorer you run.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  6. No. Works fine. However, if he were, for example, running the 32-bit version
    of Explorer, it would see only the 32-bit version of the folder.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Ok, I confess to a bit of ignorance here. I see one Windows Explorer, not
    two like I do with IE. What the heck am I running when I do a Win+E?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  8. There are two Explorers, just as there are two IE's. You don't normally run
    the 32-bit one, but it is possible to run it as a standalone, or even as
    your shell. This is a known (and blogged:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/19/54064.aspx) workaround for the
    right mouse click extensions. However, you need to be aware that the view
    one has of the file system is _different_ when you use a 32-bit program,
    including 32-bit Explorer.

    As for what you might be running with some key combination? No clue. I don't
    have the same keybindings here, since my ancient but beloved Northgate
    OmniKey 102 keyboard predates any Windows specific keys.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  9. yes. Run the 64 bit version of Explorer.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  10. M. Murcek

    Ted Guest

    Any work around ?
    Thanks

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  11. Are you running 32-bit shell? If so, all bets are off.

    Do you have another explorer window open? If so, you'll only get the kind
    that is already open, unless you use the /separate switch.

    If you still experience difficulty, I would say something is wrong with your
    installation and you should do a fresh, clean, install. I have been running
    x64 Edition for 6 months now, and this has never been an issue.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  12. Got it. Thanks, Charlie. The Win+E is the keyboard shortcut to open the
    default Windows Explorer, which is the 64bit version. Now that I can see
    the differences, particularly in the context menus as I explore various
    files and folders I can see what gives.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  13. M. Murcek

    Ted Guest

    I can view the Config folder from network computer 32 bit XP
    using the browse dialog without the option to show hidden folders.
    But Filecopy doesn't see the folder in the network.

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  14. M. Murcek

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 27, 2005
  15. Oh, why didn't you say so. <grin>

    Yes. 32-bit applications ONLY SEE THE 32-bit FOLDERS. So they do NOT see the
    real "system32" folder, they see the SysWOW64 folder.

    This is the way it works. There are some decent articles on MSDN about
    folder redirection and such that should give you more details. But 32-bit
    apps see the 32-bit system32 folder (really the SysWOW64 folder) and the
    32-bit nodes of the registry. This was a deliberate design decision by MS.
    Whether it is the right one or not is something you can discuss with them. I
    think I have a pretty good idea why they did this, but I am not a MS
    employee and wasn't in on the discussions.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 28, 2005
  16. M. Murcek

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 28, 2005
  17. M. Murcek

    Jed Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:01:49 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >1.) Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"
    >2.) Make sure you're using 64-bit Windows Explorer.
    >
    >Your view of what is in the folder will depend on which version of Windows
    >Explorer you run.

    WOuld I be correct in assuming that third party 32-bit file search
    apps, like Agent Ransack, would behave in the same way?

    I seem to recall searching for a .dll file with Agent Ransack and not
    finding it, but being able to find it manually.

    Jed, Jul 28, 2005
  18. Correct. The view of the file system by any 32-bit application will not be
    the same as that from a 64-bit application.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 28, 2005
  19. M. Murcek

    Ted Guest

    I think they should the programmer to choose
    which directory he/she wants to browse.
    Most likely they want to push the 64 bit programming.
    I would say adios once 64 bit takes over.
    No way I would go to worthless net, enough time and money
    wasted.

    May be you want to hear a joke instead:
    A man was looking for a job.
    Went to Microsoft and filled an application to be a janitor.
    They asked him if he had an email address, he said no.
    So she said you can't work for Microsoft if you don't
    have an email address.

    So the guy went and bought an orange box and started
    selling oranges in the street.
    The business prospered and eventually got rich selling oranges.
    So a local magazine was making an interview with him
    how he got rich.
    Then she asked him if he had an email address,
    he said "are you kidding, if I had an email address
    I would be still working as a janitor for Microsoft.

    Ted, Jul 28, 2005
  20. M. Murcek

    James Park Guest

    "Ted" <> wrote in message
    >I think they should the programmer to choose
    > which directory he/she wants to browse.

    It is possible to get around redirection with the
    Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection and Wow64RevertWow64FsRedirection functions
    in the Platform SDK.

    James Park, Jul 28, 2005