Super computer made from Macs (top 5 ranking?)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Who is this, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    On September 4th, 2003, Virginia Tech held an informational session for
    their upcoming Supercomputer Cluster. The new Cluster has received a
    lot of attention as it is expected to be one of the top computer
    clusters in the world, and is utilizing 1100 of Apple's new Dual 2.0GHz
    PowerMac G5s.

    The informational session provided confirmation of some of the available
    information as well as some interesting details of the planning stage.
    As previously reported, the total cost of the Supercomputer Cluster
    comes to $5.2 million -- which includes systems, memory storage and
    "communication fabrics".

    Even at $5.2 million, the overall cost of the system is said to be "one
    of the cheapest systems of its kind". In determining which architecture
    to use, many vendors were considered beyond Apple -- including Dell,
    Sun, IBM and HP. The final decision, however, was made on a pure Cost
    vs Performance basis -- with Apple's solution providing the best overall
    price.

    The PowerMac G5 systems will be running Mac OS X, and will also utilize
    a custom "fault tolerance" software system called Deja Vù. This fault
    tolerance system will allow the cluster to withstand "just about [any]
    failure".

    The cluster is expected to begin operations on October 1, 2003, with
    performance tweaking through Mid November. At that time, it will be
    open for initial applications, with a fully operational cluster expected
    by January 2004.
    Who is this, Sep 6, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Who is this

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:40:42 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:
    >
    >The PowerMac G5 systems will be running Mac OS X, and will also utilize
    >a custom "fault tolerance" software system called Deja Vù. This fault
    >tolerance system will allow the cluster to withstand "just about [any]
    >failure".
    >

    .....but if anyone clicks on one of the windows, it shrinks down to a
    bar which *nothing* will open, just like a single Mac! LOL!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Sep 6, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In <> Enkidu wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:40:42 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:
    >>
    >>The PowerMac G5 systems will be running Mac OS X, and will also
    >>utilize a custom "fault tolerance" software system called Deja Vù.
    >>This fault tolerance system will allow the cluster to withstand "just
    >>about [any] failure".

    >
    > .....but if anyone clicks on one of the windows, it shrinks down to a
    > bar which *nothing* will open, just like a single Mac! LOL!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff


    Whoosh! That one went completely over my head. What in Steve's name are
    you referring to?

    P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
    Roger Johnstone, Sep 6, 2003
    #3
  4. Who is this

    k y l e Guest

    "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In <> Enkidu wrote:
    > > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:40:42 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>The PowerMac G5 systems will be running Mac OS X, and will also
    > >>utilize a custom "fault tolerance" software system called Deja Vù.
    > >>This fault tolerance system will allow the cluster to withstand "just
    > >>about [any] failure".

    > >
    > > .....but if anyone clicks on one of the windows, it shrinks down to a
    > > bar which *nothing* will open, just like a single Mac! LOL!
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Cliff

    >
    > Whoosh! That one went completely over my head. What in Steve's name are
    > you referring to?
    >
    > P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.
    >


    Macs can actually get on the Internet these days? Do they still have Claris
    Works?
    k y l e, Sep 6, 2003
    #4
  5. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    In article <lXi6b.4860$>,
    "k y l e" <> wrote:

    >> > P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.

    > >

    >
    > Macs can actually get on the Internet these days? Do they still have Claris
    > Works?


    Thats funny. Macs had networking well before PCs, as well as a whole
    pile of other things you take for granted.

    Clarisworks became Apple Works years ago...
    Who is this, Sep 6, 2003
    #5
  6. Who is this

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 06:16:14 +0000 (UTC), Roger Johnstone
    <> wrote:

    >In <> Enkidu wrote:
    >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:40:42 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>The PowerMac G5 systems will be running Mac OS X, and will also
    >>>utilize a custom "fault tolerance" software system called Deja Vù.
    >>>This fault tolerance system will allow the cluster to withstand "just
    >>>about [any] failure".

    >>
    >> .....but if anyone clicks on one of the windows, it shrinks down to a
    >> bar which *nothing* will open, just like a single Mac! LOL!

    >
    >Whoosh! That one went completely over my head. What in Steve's name are
    >you referring to?
    >
    >P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.
    >

    On the Mac I use sometimes the window that I am using sometimes
    shrinks down to a single bar, like a title bar. It goes grey and
    *nothing* brings it back. Click on it and it stays grey. Click on the
    buttons and nothing happens. It can be any window so it's not related
    to an application. I asked a Mac expert and he said "Oh, that
    sometimes happens".

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Sep 7, 2003
    #6
  7. Who is this

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:14:47 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:

    >In article <lXi6b.4860$>,
    > "k y l e" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> > P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.
    >> >

    >>
    >> Macs can actually get on the Internet these days? Do they still have Claris
    >> Works?

    >
    >Thats funny. Macs had networking well before PCs, as well as a whole
    >pile of other things you take for granted.
    >

    "Having networking" doesn't mean "can connect to the Internet".

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Sep 7, 2003
    #7
  8. Who is this

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 06:16:14 +0000 (UTC), Roger Johnstone
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In <> Enkidu wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:40:42 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>The PowerMac G5 systems will be running Mac OS X, and will also
    > >>>utilize a custom "fault tolerance" software system called Deja Vù.
    > >>>This fault tolerance system will allow the cluster to withstand "just
    > >>>about [any] failure".
    > >>
    > >> .....but if anyone clicks on one of the windows, it shrinks down to a
    > >> bar which *nothing* will open, just like a single Mac! LOL!

    > >
    > >Whoosh! That one went completely over my head. What in Steve's name are
    > >you referring to?
    > >
    > >P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.
    > >

    > On the Mac I use sometimes the window that I am using sometimes
    > shrinks down to a single bar, like a title bar. It goes grey and
    > *nothing* brings it back. Click on it and it stays grey. Click on the
    > buttons and nothing happens. It can be any window so it's not related
    > to an application. I asked a Mac expert and he said "Oh, that
    > sometimes happens".
    >


    Expert? And they say "that sometimes happens"!!??

    OK...if you click the little box, it's designed to happen....just like
    the maximise on a PC window...um, maximises. What you are seeing there
    is something called windowshade. You'd most often see that when you
    double-click the title bar...but this can be switched of via a control
    panel (in OS 9, it's the Appearnce control panel, options tab).

    So...windowshade on, clicking that box *or* double-clicking the title
    bar collapses the window....windowshade off, only that box works

    And...handy tip....if you've got bucket loads of windows open,
    option-click that little box and all windows collapse up, so you can
    find the window you want.

    It's so liked, there are some PC copies...such as this one...
    http://www.hmmn.org/FreeShade/

    Phil
    --
    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi
    Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    Philip Roy, Sep 7, 2003
    #8
  9. Who is this

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 16:40:12 +1200, Philip Roy
    <> wrote:
    >
    >Expert? And they say "that sometimes happens"!!??
    >
    >OK...if you click the little box, it's designed to happen....just like
    >the maximise on a PC window...um, maximises. What you are seeing there
    >is something called windowshade. You'd most often see that when you
    >double-click the title bar...but this can be switched of via a control
    >panel (in OS 9, it's the Appearnce control panel, options tab).
    >
    >So...windowshade on, clicking that box *or* double-clicking the title
    >bar collapses the window....windowshade off, only that box works
    >
    >And...handy tip....if you've got bucket loads of windows open,
    >option-click that little box and all windows collapse up, so you can
    >find the window you want.
    >

    So how do you open it up again? Clicking on the bar, or double
    clicking on the bar does nothing. Clicking on the boxes on the bar
    does nothing. Double clicking on the bar icons does nothing. You can't
    stretch or shrink it. Or so far as I've found do *anything* with it
    once it has shrunk. The only recourse is the panic button. I've tried
    all this in conjunction with the shamrock button and the apple button,
    all the shift and control keys.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Sep 7, 2003
    #9
  10. Hi there,

    k y l e wrote:
    > Macs can actually get on the Internet these days? Do they still have Claris
    > Works?


    We could just conclude that you're being stupid, but I think you're
    finding that fairly easy...

    Clarisworks still runs on an old Mac my family has, but newer versions
    are now called Appleworks. Its a reasonable SOHO package for anyone who
    hasn't quite been brainwashed by M$ Orifice Lemming syndrome...

    An older Mac my family owned did the full http/www net thing in around
    1991, unlike many PC's of that day...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 7, 2003
    #10
  11. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > On the Mac I use sometimes the window that I am using sometimes
    > shrinks down to a single bar, like a title bar. It goes grey and
    > *nothing* brings it back. Click on it and it stays grey. Click on the
    > buttons and nothing happens. It can be any window so it's not related
    > to an application. I asked a Mac expert and he said "Oh, that
    > sometimes happens".


    Been using Macs consistantly for more than 15 years, never had that
    problem.
    Who is this, Sep 7, 2003
    #11
  12. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:14:47 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <lXi6b.4860$>,
    > > "k y l e" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>> > P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >> Macs can actually get on the Internet these days? Do they still have Claris
    > >> Works?

    > >
    > >Thats funny. Macs had networking well before PCs, as well as a whole
    > >pile of other things you take for granted.
    > >

    > "Having networking" doesn't mean "can connect to the Internet".


    OK, Supported the TCP/IP protocols before PCs did.
    Who is this, Sep 7, 2003
    #12
  13. Who is this

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > >Expert? And they say "that sometimes happens"!!??
    > >
    > >OK...if you click the little box, it's designed to happen....just like
    > >the maximise on a PC window...um, maximises. What you are seeing there
    > >is something called windowshade. You'd most often see that when you
    > >double-click the title bar...but this can be switched of via a control
    > >panel (in OS 9, it's the Appearnce control panel, options tab).
    > >
    > >So...windowshade on, clicking that box *or* double-clicking the title
    > >bar collapses the window....windowshade off, only that box works
    > >
    > >And...handy tip....if you've got bucket loads of windows open,
    > >option-click that little box and all windows collapse up, so you can
    > >find the window you want.
    > >

    > So how do you open it up again? Clicking on the bar, or double
    > clicking on the bar does nothing. Clicking on the boxes on the bar
    > does nothing. Double clicking on the bar icons does nothing. You can't
    > stretch or shrink it. Or so far as I've found do *anything* with it
    > once it has shrunk. The only recourse is the panic button. I've tried
    > all this in conjunction with the shamrock button and the apple button,
    > all the shift and control keys.
    >


    Could you maybe give us some specs for the machine model, OS version etc?

    Phil
    --
    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi
    Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    Philip Roy, Sep 7, 2003
    #13
  14. On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:26:38 +1200, Who is this wrote:

    >> "Having networking" doesn't mean "can connect to the Internet".

    >
    > OK, Supported the TCP/IP protocols before PCs did.


    well, yes, but....


    Dialup support sucked badly for a very long time.

    Right up to macos8, IMHO
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 7, 2003
    #14
  15. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    In article <zQI6b.5051$>,
    "k y l e" <> wrote:

    >
    > Sure I was being facetious, but I was geniunely interested as to where good
    > old ClarisWorks has morphed into these days.
    >
    >


    Well the local Mac users group does its magazine in Appleworks.
    And I know a design engineer (designs tankers) who uses it for many of
    the design calculations.
    etc
    etc

    Appleworks 7 (comming soon ?) is supposedly a massive upgrade and will
    be word etc compatable document wise and will have most of the office
    functionality.
    Who is this, Sep 7, 2003
    #15
  16. Who is this

    back again Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote in news:m1qklvobnntuqks0mm9gvcb2iav3rtaad1
    @4ax.com:

    >>P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.
    >>

    > On the Mac I use sometimes the window that I am using sometimes
    > shrinks down to a single bar, like a title bar. It goes grey and
    > *nothing* brings it back. Click on it and it stays grey. Click on the
    > buttons and nothing happens. It can be any window so it's not related
    > to an application. I asked a Mac expert and he said "Oh, that
    > sometimes happens".
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    > --
    >
    > The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    > that the conspiracy is working.



    On older versions of Mac OS (and ones with third party extensions like
    Windowshade etc installed), double clicking on the titlebar is supposed to
    shrink it to just display the title bar. It allows you to quickly see the
    window under the one you are viewing without having to move it, minimize,
    and unminimize it etc. Double clicking on it again will show it again.
    Alternatively, clicking on the "full size" box in the window title will
    bring it back. If neither work doesn't, then there is something wrong with
    your installation (possibly a conflict due to the OS supporting this
    feature, and a third part expension supporting it too).

    If that is not what is happening, then I'd still go with the "something is
    wrong with your installation" scenario, and revise your estimate of "Mac
    expert" to "guy who looks after some Macs - but not very well".

    Cheers,
    Mark
    back again, Sep 8, 2003
    #16
  17. Who is this

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:17:40 +1200, Philip Roy
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> >Expert? And they say "that sometimes happens"!!??
    >> >
    >> >OK...if you click the little box, it's designed to happen....just like
    >> >the maximise on a PC window...um, maximises. What you are seeing there
    >> >is something called windowshade. You'd most often see that when you
    >> >double-click the title bar...but this can be switched of via a control
    >> >panel (in OS 9, it's the Appearnce control panel, options tab).
    >> >
    >> >So...windowshade on, clicking that box *or* double-clicking the title
    >> >bar collapses the window....windowshade off, only that box works
    >> >
    >> >And...handy tip....if you've got bucket loads of windows open,
    >> >option-click that little box and all windows collapse up, so you can
    >> >find the window you want.
    >> >

    >> So how do you open it up again? Clicking on the bar, or double
    >> clicking on the bar does nothing. Clicking on the boxes on the bar
    >> does nothing. Double clicking on the bar icons does nothing. You can't
    >> stretch or shrink it. Or so far as I've found do *anything* with it
    >> once it has shrunk. The only recourse is the panic button. I've tried
    >> all this in conjunction with the shamrock button and the apple button,
    >> all the shift and control keys.
    >>

    >
    >Could you maybe give us some specs for the machine model, OS version etc?
    >

    No idea. It *looks* like this:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iMac_DV__450_MHz__Ruby_/4505-3119_7-2314913.html?tag=pdtl-img

    Red/transparent with a handle on the top. Runs whatever software came
    with it. It's two - three years old.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Sep 8, 2003
    #17
  18. Who is this

    Enkidu Guest

    On 8 Sep 2003 01:07:18 GMT, back again <> wrote:

    >Enkidu <> wrote in news:m1qklvobnntuqks0mm9gvcb2iav3rtaad1
    >@4ax.com:
    >
    >>>P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.
    >>>

    >> On the Mac I use sometimes the window that I am using sometimes
    >> shrinks down to a single bar, like a title bar. It goes grey and
    >> *nothing* brings it back. Click on it and it stays grey. Click on the
    >> buttons and nothing happens. It can be any window so it's not related
    >> to an application. I asked a Mac expert and he said "Oh, that
    >> sometimes happens".
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >> --
    >>
    >> The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    >> that the conspiracy is working.

    >
    >
    >On older versions of Mac OS (and ones with third party extensions like
    >Windowshade etc installed), double clicking on the titlebar is supposed to
    >shrink it to just display the title bar. It allows you to quickly see the
    >window under the one you are viewing without having to move it, minimize,
    >and unminimize it etc. Double clicking on it again will show it again.
    >Alternatively, clicking on the "full size" box in the window title will
    >bring it back. If neither work doesn't, then there is something wrong with
    >your installation (possibly a conflict due to the OS supporting this
    >feature, and a third part expension supporting it too).
    >
    >If that is not what is happening, then I'd still go with the "something is
    >wrong with your installation" scenario, and revise your estimate of "Mac
    >expert" to "guy who looks after some Macs - but not very well".
    >

    Well, the "Mac expert" is not "the guy who looks after the Macs". We
    only have the one Mac.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Sep 8, 2003
    #18
  19. Who is this

    back again Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote in
    news::

    > Subject: Re: Super computer made from Macs (top 5 ranking?)
    > From: Enkidu <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    > Reply-To:
    >
    > On 8 Sep 2003 01:07:18 GMT, back again <> wrote:
    >
    >>Enkidu <> wrote in
    >>news:m1qklvobnntuqks0mm9gvcb2iav3rtaad1 @4ax.com:
    >>
    >>>>P.S. I'm using a Mac right now.
    >>>>
    >>> On the Mac I use sometimes the window that I am using sometimes
    >>> shrinks down to a single bar, like a title bar. It goes grey and
    >>> *nothing* brings it back. Click on it and it stays grey. Click on
    >>> the buttons and nothing happens. It can be any window so it's not
    >>> related to an application. I asked a Mac expert and he said "Oh,
    >>> that sometimes happens".
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    >>> that the conspiracy is working.

    >>
    >>
    >>On older versions of Mac OS (and ones with third party extensions like
    >>Windowshade etc installed), double clicking on the titlebar is
    >>supposed to shrink it to just display the title bar. It allows you to
    >>quickly see the window under the one you are viewing without having to
    >>move it, minimize, and unminimize it etc. Double clicking on it again
    >>will show it again. Alternatively, clicking on the "full size" box in
    >>the window title will bring it back. If neither work doesn't, then
    >>there is something wrong with your installation (possibly a conflict
    >>due to the OS supporting this feature, and a third part expension
    >>supporting it too).
    >>
    >>If that is not what is happening, then I'd still go with the
    >>"something is wrong with your installation" scenario, and revise your
    >>estimate of "Mac expert" to "guy who looks after some Macs - but not
    >>very well".
    >>

    > Well, the "Mac expert" is not "the guy who looks after the Macs".



    You said you asked "a Mac expert" rather than "the Mac expert", so I
    didn't assume he normally looked after the one you were using, which is
    why I said "looks after *some* Macs - but not very well" rather than
    looks after your Mac(s) poorly for example :) My "not very well"
    comment is directed at the offhand way he dismissed an unusual problem
    as being somehow normal.


    > We
    > only have the one Mac.



    Fair enough :)

    I stand by what I said though - the problems you are having are not
    usual, and I would suggest you get someone else in to look at your
    system who doesn't brush off the problem with silly statements like "Oh,
    that sometimes happens".

    Cheers,
    Mark
    back again, Sep 8, 2003
    #19
  20. Hi there,

    k y l e wrote:
    >
    > Sure I was being facetious, but I was geniunely interested as to where good
    > old ClarisWorks has morphed into these days.


    The morph into Appleworks wasn't huge, more like a point update, but
    thats as recent as my Mac SOHO experience goes since I've used Linux
    x86 for sometime now...

    I did have a nicely done CV using Clarisworks, and family members use
    it to manage the sportsclub they are committee members of...from a
    member database thru to publishing their club newsletter and everything
    else involved...it suits them nicely, and despite using MS Orifice at
    work one of them prefers Claris because it's easier to get simple tasks
    done and managed with it...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 8, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Arild

    Ranking in Search Engines

    Arild, Aug 29, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    438
    Plato
    Aug 30, 2005
  2. Martin Howell

    online ranking ladder needed

    Martin Howell, Sep 11, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    456
    Martin Howell
    Sep 11, 2006
  3. Ali_ggl

    Detacting website page ranking.

    Ali_ggl, Dec 15, 2007, in forum: General Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    621
    Ali_ggl
    Dec 15, 2007
  4. Me
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    372
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    615
    PeterN
    Sep 25, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page