    mysterious quirk that we need to discover.
    We took it that the Supanet reader is readnews.supanet.com
    Oldgit

    oldgit, Oct 23, 2004

  2. oldgit

    Moderator Guest

    oldgit wrote:

    > A friend using Supanet is unable download newsgroups, getting a message
    > unable to connect to server. Doing a Google search I have found others

    with
    > the same problem who have not seemingly had any answers to it. We
    > tried connecting to other news servers with the same result, is there some
    > mysterious quirk that we need to discover.
    > We took it that the Supanet reader is readnews.supanet.com
    > Oldgit

    ping readnews.supanet.com

    Pinging chilli.nntp.netline.net.uk [213.40.130.33] with 32 bytes of data:

    Ping statistics for 213.40.130.33:

    http://www.supanet.com/support/

    Fucking stupid old ****.

    --
    ChuckIT
    Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

    Moderator, Oct 23, 2004

  3. oldgit

    oldgit Guest

    "Moderator" <> wrote in message
    > oldgit wrote:
    >
    >> A friend using Supanet is unable download newsgroups, getting a message
    >> unable to connect to server. Doing a Google search I have found others

    > with
    >> the same problem who have not seemingly had any answers to it. We
    >> tried connecting to other news servers with the same result, is there
    >> some
    >> mysterious quirk that we need to discover.
    >> We took it that the Supanet reader is readnews.supanet.com
    >> Oldgit

    > ping readnews.supanet.com
    >
    > Pinging chilli.nntp.netline.net.uk [213.40.130.33] with 32 bytes of data:
    >
    > Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=239
    > Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=239
    > Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
    > Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
    >
    > Ping statistics for 213.40.130.33:
    > Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    > Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    > Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 39ms
    >
    > http://www.supanet.com/support/
    >
    > Fucking stupid old ****.
    >

    > --
    > ChuckIT
    > Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

    Should I be thanking you for your answer, which to a stupid old c**t was of
    no f'ing help
    Oldgit.

    oldgit, Oct 25, 2004
  4. oldgit

    Moderator Guest

    oldgit wrote:

    > "Moderator" <> wrote in message
    >> oldgit wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend using Supanet is unable download newsgroups, getting a
    >>> message unable to connect to server. Doing a Google search I have
    >>> found others with the same problem who have not seemingly had any
    >>> answers to it. We tried connecting to other news servers with the
    >>> same result, is there some
    >>> mysterious quirk that we need to discover.
    >>> We took it that the Supanet reader is readnews.supanet.com
    >>> Oldgit

    >> ping readnews.supanet.com
    >>
    >> Pinging chilli.nntp.netline.net.uk [213.40.130.33] with 32 bytes of
    >> data: Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=239
    >> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=239
    >> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
    >> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
    >>
    >> Ping statistics for 213.40.130.33:
    >> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    >> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    >> Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 39ms
    >>
    >> http://www.supanet.com/support/
    >>
    >> Fucking stupid old ****.

    > Should I be thanking you for your answer,

    Yes, but ...

    > which to a stupid old c**t
    > was of no f'ing help

    I'm used to reading things like that. BTW, it's ok to write **** on usenet.
    I doubt anyone will tell your mum.

    The ping tells you that the server is alive and kicking. Make sure your
    geriatric live-in lover has the port set correctly, to 119. He may or may
    not need a user id and password to connect. It depends on if supanet
    authenticate from the user IP or require a separate authentication for news
    access. The really, really bad news is...

    The link you were given was a FUCKING HINT to get onto supanet support and
    find out the correct settings. I had a look at their website for you. You
    didn't seem to have the brains to do it yourself. That's why I gave you the
    link. Supanet support is woeful. Help is nonexistent. Unless you can be more
    specific with an error code, you're not going to get much further with that
    crappy support website. Really, it's up the shit. Your friend actually pays
    money to those people?

    Take the link you were given.

    > Oldgit.

    It needs minor adjustment. Stupid old fart would be more accurate.

    ;->

    --
    ChuckIT
    Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

    Moderator, Oct 25, 2004
  5. oldgit

    oldgit Guest

    "Moderator" <> wrote in message
    > oldgit wrote:
    >
    >> "Moderator" <> wrote in message

    >>> ping readnews.supanet.com
    >>>
    >>> Pinging chilli.nntp.netline.net.uk [213.40.130.33] with 32 bytes of
    >>> data: Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=239
    >>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=239
    >>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
    >>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
    >>>
    >>> Ping statistics for 213.40.130.33:
    >>> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    >>> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    >>> Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 39ms
    >>>
    >>> http://www.supanet.com/support/
    >>>
    >>> Fucking stupid old ****.

    >> Should I be thanking you for your answer,

    > Yes, but ...
    >
    >> which to a stupid old c**t
    >> was of no f'ing help

    > I'm used to reading things like that. BTW, it's ok to write **** on
    > usenet.
    > I doubt anyone will tell your mum.
    >
    > The ping tells you that the server is alive and kicking. Make sure your
    > geriatric live-in lover has the port set correctly, to 119. He may or may
    > not need a user id and password to connect. It depends on if supanet
    > authenticate from the user IP or require a separate authentication for
    > news
    > access. The really, really bad news is...
    >
    > The link you were given was a FUCKING HINT to get onto supanet support and
    > find out the correct settings. I had a look at their website for you. You
    > didn't seem to have the brains to do it yourself. That's why I gave you
    > the
    > link. Supanet support is woeful. Help is nonexistent. Unless you can be
    > more
    > specific with an error code, you're not going to get much further with
    > that
    > crappy support website. Really, it's up the shit. Your friend actually
    > pays
    > money to those people?
    >
    > Take the link you were given.
    >
    >> Oldgit.

    > It needs minor adjustment. Stupid old fart would be more accurate.
    >
    > ;->
    >
    > --
    > ChuckIT
    > Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

    I had looked at the web site prior to posting but their online help is
    confined to Outlook Express. Otherwise you need to E-Mail them which I was
    trying to avoid and their help line costs her 50p a minute which she also
    wants to avoid. So far as I am concerned everything is set correctly but she
    gets "cannot connect to server"
    Configuration:
    Account: readnews.supanet.com
    Server: readnews.supanet.com
    Protocol: NNTP
    Port: 119
    It was very unfortunate that her young nephew told her that The Computer
    Shop was a very a nice shop, so she ended up with a crap computer and a
    modem set to connect to Supanews. Actually the computer already had a virus
    on it when she turned it on for the first time.
    Oldgit

    oldgit, Oct 25, 2004
  6. 1 other thing to try.

    Download another newsgroup reader like Forte Agent.
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php Go for the free trial.

    See if you can connect to newsgroups using this.

    BTW account sometimes means enter your account username and not "Account:
    readnews.supanet.com"

    ND

    Norbert Dentressangle, Oct 25, 2004
  7. oldgit

    Just Me Guest

    I was thinking of contributing to this forum but after reading the rather immature and foul mouthed answer to the original posters quite reasonable question I have decided to go elsewhere.

    Unlike the so called Moderator (I can't really believe that) we weren't all fortunate enought to be born with infinite knowledge of all things, me thinks really he probably knows a lot less than he's pretending to know, so he knows how to ping, big deal, ping ping.

    Just Me, Jul 18, 2006