    What happens when there is more then 256k routes, is routing then done in
    software or prefixes that exceed this number are not routed?

    Thanks
    Petag, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Petag

    Chris Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:36:36 +0000 (UTC), Petag wrote:

    > What happens when there is more then 256k routes, is routing then done in
    > software or prefixes that exceed this number are not routed?
    >
    > Thanks

    Once you hit the CEF limit on the Sup7203B's you'll have real problems and
    will start shunting traffic to the Sup cards. We've just upgraded to 3BXL's
    to get around this issue. We were dropping routes all over the place and
    many users just couldn't get to certain web sites, VPN's stopped working
    etc... It wasn't the best week that I've had ;-)

    Chris.
    Chris, Sep 29, 2007

  3. Petag

    Steve Guest

    What other hardware has this issue?

    Steve
    www.networking-forum.com

    Steve, Sep 30, 2007
  4. Petag

    Chris Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:38:40 -0500, Steve wrote:

    > What other hardware has this issue?
    >
    > Steve
    > www.networking-forum.com

    Not sure. We were running Sup7202B's on 7613 routers. They have a maximum
    CEF limit of 224K IPv4 routes which just wasn't enough. The 3BXL's do up to
    1024K IPv4 which should be enough for a little while longer.

    Chris.
    Chris, Sep 30, 2007
  5. Petag

    response3 Guest

    On Sep 30, 2:30 am, Chris <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:38:40 -0500, Steve wrote:
    > > What other hardware has this issue?

    > > Steve
    > >www.networking-forum.com

    > Not sure. We were running Sup7202B's on 7613 routers. They have a maximum
    > CEF limit of 224K IPv4 routes which just wasn't enough. The 3BXL's do up to
    > 1024K IPv4 which should be enough for a little while longer.
    >
    > Chris.

    I've seen what happens when you exceed this on non-Sup based routers
    (28/3800 series). It ain't pretty, and usually just crashes the
    router due to insufficient RAM.

    Brian
    response3, Oct 4, 2007