Sunrocket Calls frequently don't go through

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Bob Alan, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Bob Alan

    Bob Alan Guest

    I started Sunrocket service in August. I am amazed how often calls don't
    go through

    I kept my regular phone service which allows me to check when I get a busy
    signal via SR. I estimate that at least 15% of the times I try to make a
    call I get a busy signal to numbers that I know are not busy. This may not
    sound like much but when you need to get through it's a problem. I've now
    doing a double check, besides confirming that I can get through on my
    regular phone, I also call my other phone number. Sure enough I get a busy
    signal.

    Also occasionally get email alerts that I have a SR voice messages. Problem
    is I was sitting by the phone and it never range. While I'm happy at least
    some of the calls to be are making it to voice mail, I wonder how often
    folks are just not getting a connection.

    I'm sure glad I didn't cancel my POTS.

    Bob
    Bob Alan, Dec 14, 2005

  2. " Bob Alan" <> writes:
    > I kept my regular phone service which allows me to check when I get a busy
    > signal via SR. I estimate that at least 15% of the times I try to make a
    > call I get a busy signal to numbers that I know are not busy.

    Is it a fast busy (congestion) or a slow busy (the destination phone
    is off-hook)?

    > This may not sound like much but when you need to get through it's a
    > problem. I've now doing a double check, besides confirming that I
    > can get through on my regular phone, I also call my other phone
    > number. Sure enough I get a busy signal.

    This is probably the worst aspect of using an outside company for
    gatewaying the PSTN (public switched telephone network) signal into
    SIP for you. For outgoing calls they might be nice enough to send you
    a fast busy, for incoming calls you may never find out that one got
    dropped.

    > Also occasionally get email alerts that I have a SR voice messages.
    > Problem is I was sitting by the phone and it never range. While I'm
    > happy at least some of the calls to be are making it to voice mail,
    > I wonder how often folks are just not getting a connection.

    Personally I would doubt the financial health of any company that
    spams as much as Sunrocket does on the various usenet newsgroups. In
    that past that has always been an indication that the company is in
    financial distress. You wouldn't expect a company that is trying hard
    to save money to buy lots of spare tie-lines to the phone central
    office just so they can meet the lower probability service peaks.

    > I'm sure glad I didn't cancel my POTS.

    Here in California the phone company gets to force you to keep a POTS
    dial-tone if you have DSL. It has come in handy for folks calling me
    to tell me my incoming VOIP was down. (I just love those unannounced
    configuration changes...)

    -wolfgang
    Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Bob Alan

    Bob Alan Guest

    They send the slow busy signal, which is why most SR users probably don't
    realize it's a problem with SR not being able to handle the call.

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Bob Alan, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Bob Alan

    Guest

    Bob Alan wrote:
    > They send the slow busy signal, which is why most SR users probably don't
    > realize it's a problem with SR not being able to handle the call.
    >

    > "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    > " Bob Alan" <> writes:
    > > I kept my regular phone service which allows me to check when I get a busy
    > > signal via SR. I estimate that at least 15% of the times I try to make a
    > > call I get a busy signal to numbers that I know are not busy.

    > Is it a fast busy (congestion) or a slow busy (the destination phone
    > is off-hook)?
    >
    > > This may not sound like much but when you need to get through it's a
    > > problem. I've now doing a double check, besides confirming that I
    > > can get through on my regular phone, I also call my other phone
    > > number. Sure enough I get a busy signal.

    > This is probably the worst aspect of using an outside company for
    > gatewaying the PSTN (public switched telephone network) signal into
    > SIP for you. For outgoing calls they might be nice enough to send you
    > a fast busy, for incoming calls you may never find out that one got
    > dropped.
    >
    > > Also occasionally get email alerts that I have a SR voice messages.
    > > Problem is I was sitting by the phone and it never range. While I'm
    > > happy at least some of the calls to be are making it to voice mail,
    > > I wonder how often folks are just not getting a connection.

    > Personally I would doubt the financial health of any company that
    > spams as much as Sunrocket does on the various usenet newsgroups. In
    > that past that has always been an indication that the company is in
    > financial distress. You wouldn't expect a company that is trying hard
    > to save money to buy lots of spare tie-lines to the phone central
    > office just so they can meet the lower probability service peaks.
    >
    > > I'm sure glad I didn't cancel my POTS.

    > Here in California the phone company gets to force you to keep a POTS
    > dial-tone if you have DSL. It has come in handy for folks calling me
    > to tell me my incoming VOIP was down. (I just love those unannounced
    > configuration changes...)
    >
    > -wolfgang
    > --
    > Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
    > Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

    Service has been really good for me over the past few months. I wonder
    if it has to do with your internet connection. With regards to SR
    spamming, I don't think they do that. I think that's a few people who
    think they can get cash out of referrals by doing all that.
    , Dec 28, 2005
  5. Bob Alan

    Ray Guest

    wrote:
    > Bob Alan wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > Service has been really good for me over the past few months. I wonder
    > if it has to do with your internet connection. With regards to SR
    > spamming, I don't think they do that. I think that's a few people who
    > think they can get cash out of referrals by doing all that.

    They don't!? Look at the subject titles in this newsgroup. Every one
    starting with "Sunrocket Promotion" or "Sunrocket Coupon" or "Sunrocket
    free phones") is spam. I count over 40 since August. That's what kept me
    away from them.
    Ray, Dec 31, 2005
  6. Bob Alan

    Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Bob Alan wrote:

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Service has been really good for me over the past few months. I wonder
    > > if it has to do with your internet connection. With regards to SR
    > > spamming, I don't think they do that. I think that's a few people who
    > > think they can get cash out of referrals by doing all that.

    > They don't!? Look at the subject titles in this newsgroup. Every one
    > starting with "Sunrocket Promotion" or "Sunrocket Coupon" or "Sunrocket
    > free phones") is spam. I count over 40 since August. That's what kept me
    > away from them.

    Oh, I've seen the spam, but it's not coming from SunRocket. It's from
    actual customers who are posting their own phone numbers as promotional
    codes in hopes of racking up reward points via SR. Don't blame
    SunRocket for the actions of some of its subscribers.
    , Jan 3, 2006