    Ed Guest

    I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
    D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?

    Ed, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Ed

    Jim Guest

    "Ed" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
    > D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?

    Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
    exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no more
    flexible than a Vivitar 283.
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Ed

    Roy Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >> I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
    >> D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?
    >>

    > Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
    > exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no more
    > flexible than a Vivitar 283.
    > Jim

    I was going to use my trusty Vivitar 283s with my D70, until I happened to
    check the Trigger Voltages, and found them both to operate at 286 volts,
    which would fry the Camera electronics.

    So now I am looking for a new Flashgun, and apart from the 2 dedicated Nikon
    Speedlights at their Stupid prices, I am not finding much available.

    Roy G

    Roy, Apr 19, 2005
  4. Ed

    canongirly Guest

    "Roy" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >>> I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
    >>> D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?
    >>>

    >> Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
    >> exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no more
    >> flexible than a Vivitar 283.
    >> Jim
    >>

    > I was going to use my trusty Vivitar 283s with my D70, until I happened to
    > check the Trigger Voltages, and found them both to operate at 286 volts,
    > which would fry the Camera electronics.
    >
    > So now I am looking for a new Flashgun, and apart from the 2 dedicated
    > Nikon Speedlights at their Stupid prices, I am not finding much available.
    >
    > Roy G

    Vivitar make an off camera cord for the 283/5 flashguns, use that. I do and
    the trigger voltage off the bottom of the cord is a hell of a lot lower than
    off the foot of the flash.

    canongirly, Apr 19, 2005
  5. Ed

    Roy Guest

    "canongirly" <> wrote in message

    > "Roy" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
    >>> exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no more
    >>> flexible than a Vivitar 283.
    >>> Jim
    >>>

    >> I was going to use my trusty Vivitar 283s with my D70, until I happened
    >> to check the Trigger Voltages, and found them both to operate at 286
    >> volts, which would fry the Camera electronics.
    >>
    >> So now I am looking for a new Flashgun, and apart from the 2 dedicated
    >> Nikon Speedlights at their Stupid prices, I am not finding much
    >> available.
    >>
    >> Roy G

    > Vivitar make an off camera cord for the 283/5 flashguns, use that. I do
    > and the trigger voltage off the bottom of the cord is a hell of a lot
    > lower than off the foot of the flash.

    Canongirly, thanks for the suggestion.

    Did you mean the cord which fits into the Camera Flash Shoe, and holds the
    Flash Sensor, while the other end of the cord fits into the Sensor Socket on
    the Gun.

    If you did, I have just this minute tested the voltage, at the Shoe end and
    it is still over 280 volts.

    If you meant the Cable which should fit into the little socket just above
    the Power Supply Input on the Gun, and goes to the Camera PC socket. I have
    to say that someone forced PC plugs in there and wrecked the sockets. Not
    me !

    It seems that not all 283s have the same specs, and the older the gun, the
    higher the trigger voltage. Perhaps I should just buy a new one, they are
    still listed on the Vivitar site.

    Roy G

    Roy, Apr 20, 2005
  6. Ed

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Roy" <> wrote in

    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >>> I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to
    >>> the D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?
    >>>

    >> Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
    >> exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no
    >> more flexible than a Vivitar 283.
    >> Jim
    >>

    > I was going to use my trusty Vivitar 283s with my D70, until I
    > happened to check the Trigger Voltages, and found them both to operate
    > at 286 volts, which would fry the Camera electronics.
    >
    > So now I am looking for a new Flashgun, and apart from the 2 dedicated
    > Nikon Speedlights at their Stupid prices, I am not finding much
    > available.

    Other than, say, the Sunpak 383, which is very much like a modernised Viv
    283?

    Eric Gill, Apr 20, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    "Ed" <> wrote:

    > I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
    > D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?

    I can only state that I am using both the 522 handle mount and a Q Flash
    both with out issue when attached to the D70 via a PC socket that mounts
    to the camera's hot shoe.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    Gregory Blank, Apr 20, 2005