    Is the Sunpak 4000af flash compatable with the Rebel XT? I just got
    the flash unit today but it wont fire when mounted on the camera.

    Thanks!

    Mike Hunt, Sep 24, 2005

  2. Mike Hunt

    Bill Guest

    Mike Hunt wrote:

    >Is the Sunpak 4000af flash compatable with the Rebel XT? I just got
    >the flash unit today but it wont fire when mounted on the camera.

    It won't work in auto mode since it doesn't support E-TTL with the Canon
    cameras, just TTL. The Canon digital models have TTL disabled for
    flashes because of exposure issues related (I believe) to the reflective
    nature of the sensors.

    It should fire manually, but then you have to do the math to figure out
    the exposure level and/or experiment a bit.

    If you just bought it and you want automatic exposure, return it for a
    model that supports E-TTL like the Canon EX series, or the Sigma EF 500
    series.

    Bill, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Mike Hunt

    Mike Hunt Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:19:32 -0400, Bill <> wrote:

    >Mike Hunt wrote:
    >
    >>Is the Sunpak 4000af flash compatable with the Rebel XT? I just got
    >>the flash unit today but it wont fire when mounted on the camera.

    >It won't work in auto mode since it doesn't support E-TTL with the Canon
    >cameras, just TTL. The Canon digital models have TTL disabled for
    >flashes because of exposure issues related (I believe) to the reflective
    >nature of the sensors.
    >
    >It should fire manually, but then you have to do the math to figure out
    >the exposure level and/or experiment a bit.
    >
    >If you just bought it and you want automatic exposure, return it for a
    >model that supports E-TTL like the Canon EX series, or the Sigma EF 500
    >series.

    Thanks for the info. I tried to order a 420EX from an online retailer.
    After waiting 8 days I had to call them only to find out that it
    wasn't in stock. That sure wasn't the case when I placed the order. So
    I ordered the sunpak. So now i'll return it and order an ex from some
    other retailer. Who would you suggest? I wont be ordering from
    expresscamera.com.

    Thanks again

    Mike Hunt, Sep 24, 2005
  4. Mike Hunt

    Skip M Guest

    "Mike Hunt" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the info. I tried to order a 420EX from an online retailer.
    > After waiting 8 days I had to call them only to find out that it
    > wasn't in stock. That sure wasn't the case when I placed the order. So
    > I ordered the sunpak. So now i'll return it and order an ex from some
    > other retailer. Who would you suggest? I wont be ordering from
    > expresscamera.com.
    >
    > Thanks again

    B&H has one of the best reputations of any online retailer out there, as
    does Adorama and KEH. But B&H may have the lowest prices of the three.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home
    But you might wait until the 430EX hits the market, it has more controls
    than the 420EX, plus it adjusts for the 1.6x crop of the RebelXT. OTOH,
    it's $120 more than the 420...might as well go for a 550EX.
    By the way, expresscamera.com is on most people's "to be avoided" list.
    Check out resellerratings.com for more info...
    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Sep 24, 2005
  5. Mike Hunt

    Bill Guest

    Mike Hunt wrote:

    >Thanks for the info. I tried to order a 420EX from an online retailer.
    >After waiting 8 days I had to call them only to find out that it
    >wasn't in stock. That sure wasn't the case when I placed the order. So
    >I ordered the sunpak. So now i'll return it and order an ex from some
    >other retailer. Who would you suggest? I wont be ordering from
    >expresscamera.com.

    Another person suggested B&H and I've heard nothing but praise about
    their service, but I've never ordered from them because I live in Canada
    and it's usually not cost effective to order from US sites.

    Bill, Sep 25, 2005