Sun X-Terminal Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Jul 1, 2005.

?

Can this win a magazine Mod of the Month award?

  1. You bet it can!

    100.0%
  2. Maybe, but you'll need to stop changing the lights around...

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only after my computer wins it first!

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've recently completed my Sun X-Terminal Mod.  The project has been submitted to several magazines and a few contests.  I'm still sorting out the color scheme (see the last few pictures), but all the hardware has been placed and I don't intend to rip it apart to change things around.  Check out my pictures below...
    Specifications:
    motherboard:  MSI RS480M2-IL micro-ATX
    CPU:  AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm Winchester
    CPU cooler:  stock AMD with Coolermaster Aero blower fan
    Memory:  1 GB of Mushkin enhanced (2 sticks of 512MB) PC3200
    Video:  onboard ATI IXP 400 (this is not a gaming system)
    Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 64-bit beta
    Usage:  Downloading drivers, browsing the Internet, forums (no gaming)
    Completion date:  mid-June, 2005
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Jul 1, 2005

  2. bigal

    stlava

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    126
    Have to say you did a very, very good job on it! The only thing is stop changing the lights.. but i didn't vote that one.. cuz otherwise its awesome!

    stlava, Jul 2, 2005

  3. bigal

    m1k30rz

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    57
    Location:
    New Zealand
    Very very nice!!! I LOVE IT! :D

    m1k30rz, Jul 2, 2005
  4. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    BigAl, glad to see you here. Missed ya since UBPCR went down.
    You'll be getting a pm soon.

    Silverstrand, Jul 2, 2005
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Colors selected...

    I'm most likely going with a tri-color (red, green, blue) cold cathode on top, a short (6") cold cathode on the right, and green LEDs on the blower fan. I really like the blower lit up, especially when I dim the bench lights and just have a small 60 Watt light above the bench pointing up to the ceiling. Of course, it's hard to work at the bench with background lighting, but it's all in the name of modding! :wink:

    bigal, Jul 2, 2005
  6. bigal

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    Great work............as always..............;).

    Bio-Hazard, Jul 2, 2005
  7. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks.

    Say Biohazard, did you make use of that Sun external drive case? What do you think about the two I modded? :p

    bigal, Jul 2, 2005
  8. bigal

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    I used the PSU, but you just gave me somemore ideas....;).

    Bio-Hazard, Jul 2, 2005
  9. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Great mod al, don't forget i am modeling the other Printer one :D
    After all i comments all the way though on this one :D
    I have to say the real only bad thing is that the PSU isn't in the case :(
    Its all good though!!! :D

    unholy, Jul 2, 2005
  10. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Reason for the outboard PSU...

    I did try to fit that PSU within the X-Terminal chassis, but it was just too crowded for my tastes. As you can see below, it's not just an issue of space next to the motherboard (they did fit side-by-side), because the fan controller also had to fit next to the motherboard, and the top cover couldn't close unless I cut a large hole for the PSU to fit through. Overall, I determined it wasn't going to look good inside the chassis, and I really do prefer it to be hanging on the wall just like it is. This machine runs nice and cool too. The side fans (dual 60mm Panaflows) blow air across the motherboard, and one 60mm Vantec Stealth fan pulls air out the top right corner. The side panels are also well ventilated.
    :wave: :wave: :wave: :vroam: :creep:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Jul 2, 2005
  11. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    how tall are the inside of the PSU... taking away the top fan and stuff... that might make it so u can fit it :D

    unholy, Jul 2, 2005
  12. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It doesn't matter....

    ...and I quote, "but all the hardware has been placed and I don't intend to rip it apart to change things around". The motherboard was mounted more towards the center after I decided to mount the PSU outside the case. That made more room for the fan controller connections. It was just too tight with the PSU in there, and I didn't like the idea of ruining the plexiglas window with a big section cut out (at least for the fan to breathe). :?

    bigal, Jul 2, 2005
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    ok, i dind't notice that :D, that would have to be the only bad thing with the mod... but thats all thats bad, but seen as u have an excuse its all pwnage :D
    Edit: sorry i mis typed the bit say something :|

    unholy, Jul 2, 2005
  14. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Added something this morning...

    ...an AMD appliqué, that looks sort of like a laser-etch on the window. I've had this decal for more than a year, and this was the perfect place to mount it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Jul 2, 2005
  15. bigal

    Blazin Trav

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    29
    Nice, Wall mounted?

    Blazin Trav, Jul 2, 2005
  16. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Yep, he wall mounted the bueaty :D kinda like a photo frame but its alive and it works... :D
    Ilike the AMD.... CAUSE AMD RULZ :D, can wait to finish my mod i will be doing some today :D

    unholy, Jul 3, 2005
  17. bigal

    ZAK18

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    Messages:
    21
    My to... :shock:
    Great gob!!!!!!!!!!!

    ZAK18, Jul 4, 2005
  18. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Who couldn't honestly?

    unholy, Jul 4, 2005
  19. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You could say that...

    Actually, it's nailed to the wall! I used two heavy duty nails for the chassis (it spans two 2X4's), and two nails for the PSU. Holds up quite well. I had to cut the corner off one fan (Vantec Stealth fan) in the top right corner, due to the nail head being in the way. :?

    bigal, Jul 4, 2005
  20. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    sounds good... can it be easyily removed?

    unholy, Jul 4, 2005