    You should see a spinning triangle.
    Both x86 and x64 versions can coexist in your x64 OS.

    Carlos
    Carlos, Mar 25, 2009

  2. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Carlos.

    The triangle spins fine in my Win7 Ultimate x64 (build 7000), after
    accepting the update that Sun offered automatically this morning. ;<)

    Oh, wait! That was in the default 32-bit IE8 (build 8.0.7000.0) in 64-bit
    Win7. When I start 64-bit IE8 (same build #), and go to
    http://www.upshot.com/login/javatest/logo/javavmtest.html, there is no
    triangle, only a box that says, "...information on Java support is available
    from the Microsoft website." Following that breadcrumb trail gets me an
    offer to install Java, but after a few more clicks I realize that it's about
    to install the 32-bit Java again.

    So, yes, 32-bit Java runs in 32-bit IE8 in 64-bit Win7. So far as I can
    tell, there is NO 64-bit Java. Right?

    Oh, wait AGAIN! Now I re-read your post and saw the long link to get the
    64-bit version of Java:
    https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...ProductRef=jre-6u13-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

    That link allowed me to select "Windows x64" and download
    jre-6u13-windows-x64-p, the 64-bit version. After installing that, I
    opened 64-bit IE8, pasted in the URL for the test site, pressed Enter and
    voila! The spinning triangle in 64-bit IE8 in 64-bit Win7! ;<)

    Thanks, Carlos!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

    R. C. White, Mar 25, 2009

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    You are welcome, R.C.!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 25, 2009
  4. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    R.C.,
    Two more things to take into account.

    1.- Uninstall previous Java version before installing the newer one. Java
    installer is rather dumb and does not offer you to uninstall the previous
    version. It rather leaves the old one and sits in a new folder.
    2.- Both x86 and x64 versions of Java must be installed in x64 OS's. There
    is no Java "one-size-fits-all" for x64 like IE8 x64 download, containing both
    versions of IE.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 25, 2009
  5. Since 6u11 or so (not sure of the exact update) I have noticed that I no
    longer have to uninstall the old version before installing the new one. It
    appears to me that it is now truly upgrading and not leaving any old crumbs
    around. Am I missing something?

    John J. Jobst, Mar 25, 2009
  6. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I have just installed the x86 version of Java in Windows XP.
    Now I have 2 uninstall options in Add/Remove Programs (older 6.0 version and
    newer 6 Update 13.
    Also, in \Program Folders (x86)\Java I have two sub-folders of the two
    versions.
    The old version folder is not empty.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 25, 2009
  7. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    John,
    The uninstall feature works Ok both in Vista and Win 7 beta.
    It didn't work, however, in Windows XP.
    Cannot tell if it also depends on which "older" version it has to uninstall.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 25, 2009
  8. I'm running XP Pro x64. This is my experience too. I had both the 32-bit
    and 64-bit version 12. I simply ran the install for version 13 32-bit, then
    64-bit. Only one version in the registry. Only one version in Add/Remove
    Programs. Only one version in Program Files. Only one version in Program
    Files (x86). Only one version listed in the Java Control Panel applets
    (32-bit and 64-bit).

    John J. Jobst, Mar 26, 2009
  9. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    John,
    My best guess now it that JRE6u13 doesn't have any troubles when being
    installed as an update to u11 or u12.
    It was not able to uninstall the much older version in the PC at my job
    running XP. I don't think it depends on the OS but on the "age" of the prior
    version.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 26, 2009
  10. You may be right about that. I am just glad that Sun is now cleaning up
    after itself properly. Leaving those old versions on the drive creates
    security concerns because they can still be used in an exploit.

    John J. Jobst, Mar 26, 2009
  11. Carlos

    KarenSue Guest

    Carlos, I had an update 14 64 bit and I uninstalled it as I don't seem to
    find another one on their site. It also had the tool to check for my version
    and don't see to notice. I make me worry. I still have it as a download but
    wonder why I appear to be the only one that has it.

    Karen

    KarenSue, Apr 2, 2009
  12. Carlos

    KarenSue Guest

    http://download.java.net/jdk6/

    This is where I found it, however, it looks like it might not be what I
    thought.

    KarenSue, Apr 3, 2009