    negatives to jpg. Does this mean that the jpg will end up with the colours
    correctly turned around for proper viewing, or will they remain in original
    negative colours? Thanks for any help with this. John

    John Lee, Apr 10, 2007

  2. John Lee

    Paul Guest

    John Lee wrote:
    > Has anybody any experience with this gadget? Does it work OK and meet the
    > claims made? And especially interesting is the claim to be able to transfer
    > negatives to jpg. Does this mean that the jpg will end up with the colours
    > correctly turned around for proper viewing, or will they remain in original
    > negative colours? Thanks for any help with this. John

    My old scanner has that ability, and the scanning software inverts
    the colors. You have to tell the scanning software, what kind of
    film is being used, for the inversion to be done properly. My scanner
    lacks sufficient resolution, to make such conversions worthwhile.
    (I only ever converted one negative, which tells you what I thought
    of it. The result was grainy.)

    The one web page I could find, has no specs for hardware performance
    for the Summit Photofix Scanner. The resolution is listed as 3600DPI,
    but the evil word "interpolated" is used as well.

    Scanners generally have a "D", which is a logarithmic contrast ratio.
    A D of 3.0 would be 1000:1 contrast. Scanners used to be compared,
    based on numbers like that. The better the D, the more you'll be able
    to pull detail out of shadows.

    The sensor in your device, is a CMOS digital camera sensor. Scanners
    normally use a linear CCD array (1xN), and they actually scan. The
    above device is basically just a digital camera, and it is snapping
    a picture of the entire negative in one shot. That is why it can do
    the scan in one second. Using LEDs to illuminate the target, also
    seems a bit suspect (white LEDs have a blue spike in their spectral
    response).

    Without reading a review, I would not buy it. You would just be
    throwing away £99.95. Some negative scanners offer 4000DPI resolution,
    and that is without interpolation. And somehow, I doubt the CMOS camera
    sensor, is going to have a D of better than 3.0.

    This site mentions some of the devices meant to do a good job. The prices
    of these are well past reasonable, but if you really want the best conversion
    from negative form, to your computer, they are money well spent. As was
    obvious with my own scanner experiment, I wouldn't even have published my
    photo on a web page, it was so bad, let alone printed it. At least the
    color conversion wasn't bad.

    http://www.flatbed-scanner-review.org/35mm_slide_film_scanners/35mm_slide_scanner_list.html

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 11, 2007