    Firefox and Thunderbird and can it be installed over vers 1.7.2.
    Thanks
    Cappy

    Caploc, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Caploc wrote:
    > Hi All
    > I am currently using suite 1.7.2. Is this suite a combination of Firefox
    > and Thunderbird or something different.
    > I would like to have the latest Firefox and thunderbird so can I install
    > them separately over 1.7.2 suite.
    > Secondly does the 1.7.3 suite that is now available use the latest
    > Firefox and Thunderbird and can it be installed over vers 1.7.2.
    > Thanks
    > Cappy

    Firefox and Thunderbird are completely separate applications, both from
    Mozlla and from each other. There is no question of installing Firefox
    "over" Mozilla.

    While Firefox and Mozilla have the same rendering engine, and display
    pages in close to the same way, the two applications have diverged. It
    is not quite so simple as to say FF+TB=Moz.

    The current FF/TB versions are based on the Moz 1.7 branch, but
    installing 1.7.3 does not mean you are installing FF and TB. 1.7.3 is a
    security update of the 1.7 branch. You should update to 1.7.3 fot
    security reasons, but you won't notice any difference in how the program
    behaves.

    It is recommended to remove an old version, using Add/Remove Programs,
    before installing a new version. Note that your profile is stored in a
    separate location. Uninstalling the progrram leaves you for profile for
    the new version to pick up.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Caploc

    Caploc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Caploc wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All
    >> I am currently using suite 1.7.2. Is this suite a combination of
    >> Firefox and Thunderbird or something different.
    >> I would like to have the latest Firefox and thunderbird so can I
    >> install them separately over 1.7.2 suite.
    >> Secondly does the 1.7.3 suite that is now available use the latest
    >> Firefox and Thunderbird and can it be installed over vers 1.7.2.
    >> Thanks
    >> Cappy

    > Firefox and Thunderbird are completely separate applications, both from
    > Mozlla and from each other. There is no question of installing Firefox
    > "over" Mozilla.
    >
    > While Firefox and Mozilla have the same rendering engine, and display
    > pages in close to the same way, the two applications have diverged. It
    > is not quite so simple as to say FF+TB=Moz.
    >
    > The current FF/TB versions are based on the Moz 1.7 branch, but
    > installing 1.7.3 does not mean you are installing FF and TB. 1.7.3 is a
    > security update of the 1.7 branch. You should update to 1.7.3 fot
    > security reasons, but you won't notice any difference in how the program
    > behaves.
    >
    > It is recommended to remove an old version, using Add/Remove Programs,
    > before installing a new version. Note that your profile is stored in a
    > separate location. Uninstalling the progrram leaves you for profile for
    > the new version to pick up.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks Lee

    Caploc, Nov 10, 2004