suggestions re: data recovery services for Peachtree data?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jacques Clouseau, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Hi. I'm helping someone who's getting the "unable to determine security
    privileges" (I'm paraphrasing) error message which, as I understand
    it, means that his data files have become currupted. [He began to get
    the message just after a computer crash.) Now we're at the point of
    considering data recovery services, since his last backup was a year
    ago. Has anyone had any experience with particular companies that
    they've had good or bad experiences with? It looks like the services
    vary from complete restoration of the hard drive, at $700 to $3000, to
    another company that restores just the Peachtree data for $450, to a
    third company that offers to recover just the Peachtree data for
    $150/hour, with most jobs supposedly taking just one hour. So, it's
    hard to know what's necessary / advisable / reasonable for these
    services. Any experiences, information, or advise appreciated.

    Jacques

    BTW, when this guy called Peachtree for help, they sold him a $229/year
    "priority service" plan. Then, when we tried to call them a second time
    yesterday (Saturday), we got a recording saying that tech support is
    only available Monday through Friday during typical business hours.
    Hard to know what he paid the $229 fee for . . .

    Jacques Clouseau, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Jacques Clouseau wrote:

    > Hi. I'm helping someone who's getting the "unable to determine security
    > privileges" (I'm paraphrasing) error message which, as I understand it,
    > means that his data files have become currupted. [He began to get the
    > message just after a computer crash.) Now we're at the point of
    > considering data recovery services, since his last backup was a year
    > ago. Has anyone had any experience with particular companies that
    > they've had good or bad experiences with? It looks like the services
    > vary from complete restoration of the hard drive, at $700 to $3000, to
    > another company that restores just the Peachtree data for $450, to a
    > third company that offers to recover just the Peachtree data for
    > $150/hour, with most jobs supposedly taking just one hour. So, it's
    > hard to know what's necessary / advisable / reasonable for these
    > services. Any experiences, information, or advise appreciated.
    >
    > Jacques

    I'd call the last company you listed and ask them questions. What if it
    takes 10 hours, any assurances it won't? What do they send you the data
    back on (they may want to sell you another hard drive this way)? My only
    experience with one of these companies turned out okay, but the original
    bill of about $400 ended up being more like $700 because the first drive
    they sent the data on wasn't "fully" recovered and had to order a
    different drive with a USB interface - don't ask, long story.

    I'm pretty sure this CPA thinks it was my fault that they had to go
    through this data recovery even though along with the RAID hard drive
    setup, I installed a tape backup system and installed the backup
    software and showed them how to use it. They never once made a backup.
    One hard drive went out, then the second within a few days. Seems to be
    the way it goes.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 2, 2004

  3. we were unable to upgrade from peachtree complete 2003 to 2004 because of
    "corrupt data". The pricing varied from $450 to $650 depending of how
    quickly you wanted it back and the complexity of the company. I delt with
    Data Soft and paid less then $200 plus got personalized service with a one
    day return over the weekend. I strongly recomend this company because of the
    price as well as a speedy turn around.

    --
    Steve plus Ferrets mostly looking for a forever home and people to enjoy.
    Check us out our business at www.tamart.com or our business of ferrets at

    Ferret Zealot, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Jacques Clouseau

    MichaelTech Guest

    MichaelTech, May 13, 2005
  5. Jacques Clouseau

    GuruofData

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Great page, helps avoid scams and unprofessional companies. There is also a website that is online called datarecoverycomparison.com that actually allows you to review your data recovery experience, and review the company that you had the experience with. Most people with nightmare stories can post them on this site and have that company exploited to the public, shedding light on their corruptness and unprofessionalism. Also if you have had a good data recovery experience you may post that on this site in support of that company. Then each company is rated on a 1 to 5 star system, 5 being the best, 1 being the worst. If smart consumers go on this site and help expose the unethical hard drive recovery jobs that they have gone through, they will help other consumers avoid these companies, and hopefully help these companies go out of business; it will also help the companies that are trustworthy and professional flourish within the recovery business. Feel free to check it out and leave reviews, together smart shoppers can help rid the business of the unethical and unprofessional data recovery companies.

    GuruofData, Apr 9, 2008