Suggestions on Wireless ADSL Router

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave, May 17, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Dave, May 17, 2004

  2. Dave

    Chris Hope Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > So any suggestion would be great

    I haven't got either but am about to buy the US Robotics one. While looking
    for this and other stuff I stumbled across the Aquilatech website, which
    seems to have computer equipment much cheaper than anywhere else I have
    seen. I have put links below to the equivalent product on their website.

    I ordered some KVM gear from them last night about 8pm and it's on the
    courier today. They follow up with emails at each stage of the order
    process and have been very helpful (in particular I accidentally ordered a
    Wireless/Switch only thinking it also had ADSL and they kindly pointed this
    out and made a suggestion for a replacement which also had the ADSL
    router).

    http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/productDetail.asp?idProduct=USR9106

    > Linksys WAG54G
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=127846

    http://www.aquilatech.co.nz/productDetail.asp?idProduct=LKS4607

    And no, I don't work for them :)

    --
    Chris Hope
    The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    Chris Hope, May 17, 2004

  3. Dave

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:30:21 +1200, Dave <> wrote:

    >I have possibly narrowed it down to the
    >
    >US Robotics 9106
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=119687
    >
    >or
    >
    >Linksys WAG54G
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=127846
    >
    >So any suggestion would be great, I also will be wanting to use it with
    >dyndns.org, which both of these apparently do.

    Also consider Zyxel. They used to be the best modem maker way back in the dark
    ages, and I saw their stuff on one of the sites recently at reasonable prices.
    Not sure if they're still the best though.

    Craig Shore, May 17, 2004
  4. Dave

    Weez Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:30:21 +1200, Dave <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have possibly narrowed it down to the
    > >
    > >US Robotics 9106
    > >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=119687
    > >
    > >or
    > >
    > >Linksys WAG54G
    > >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=127846
    > >
    > >So any suggestion would be great, I also will be wanting to use it with
    > >dyndns.org, which both of these apparently do.

    > Also consider Zyxel. They used to be the best modem maker way back in the

    dark
    > ages, and I saw their stuff on one of the sites recently at reasonable

    prices.
    > Not sure if they're still the best though.

    i would recommend anything dlink and linksys always found them reliable. ..J

    Weez, May 17, 2004
  5. Dave

    Richard Guest

    > i would recommend anything dlink and linksys always found them reliable. ..J

    I would not recommend anything d-link and wireless untill I see some reliable
    firmware for the dwl-2000 series of accesspoints.

    Richard, May 17, 2004
  6. On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:48:53 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >> i would recommend anything dlink and linksys always found them reliable. ..J

    >I would not recommend anything d-link and wireless untill I see some reliable
    >firmware for the dwl-2000 series of accesspoints.

    Amen to that. I bought a DWL-2000AP and found it absolute rubbish. The
    only firmware that was even close to working was one that made the
    WLAN light not work. Most 802.11b gear wouldn't even see this AP with
    the default firmware.

    Got a DWL-900AP instead now. Works great :)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, May 17, 2004
  7. Dave

    BB Guest

    I've got the WAG54G...it rocks...what more can I say.

    Oh, ok, the Firewall features are exceptional.

    Rgds

    BB
    NZ

    BB, May 17, 2004
  8. Dave

    Don Gould Guest

    XH6830 from DSE works well.

    How does the price compare?

    What features are in the USR and Linksys that you're looking for?

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 17, 2004
  9. Dave

    Dave \(wrk\) Guest

    "Don Gould" <> wrote in message
    > XH6830 from DSE works well.
    >
    > How does the price compare?

    All much the same, but a little more exspensive than the Linksys

    > What features are in the USR and Linksys that you're looking for?

    Nothing in paticular, just more pleasing to the eye as the DSE one, and
    wanted
    to get a descent router in case I needed patricular features in the future
    as some of this is a little new to me.

    Dave \(wrk\), May 18, 2004
  10. Dave

    Brad Guest

    BB I was after some advice. A friend has just purchased one of these but he
    can't connect his adsl with it. He is currently using a PCI internal
    efficient 3060 card - and that connects fine and has no dropouts etc. His
    new WAG54G the internet light is lit, he chooses connect and the dsl green
    light flashes then stays lit for about 3 seconds and fails to connect. Any
    ideas? Selected PPP over ATM and LLC.

    Brad, May 20, 2004
  11. Dave

    Rob Guest

    "Dave \(wrk\)" <> wrote in message news:<wbeqc.6612$>...
    > "Don Gould" <> wrote in message
    > > XH6830 from DSE works well.
    > >
    > > How does the price compare?

    > All much the same, but a little more exspensive than the Linksys
    >

    > > What features are in the USR and Linksys that you're looking for?

    > Nothing in paticular, just more pleasing to the eye as the DSE one, and
    > wanted
    > to get a descent router in case I needed patricular features in the future
    > as some of this is a little new to me.

    I've read good things about the USR 9106. One feature which was
    pointed was that it had 2 antennae which means you can have more
    flexible signal directions. Probably really only applies in a
    multi-storey house though.

    One thing I did when looking at the USR and the Linksys was to compare
    their respective support sites as that's where you'll likely go when
    something doesn't work.

    Rob, May 24, 2004