    Anything else I might want to add? Also, is the MCDST a well known
    certification? These days I see employers looking for MCSE, MCP, or just even
    A+. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.
    Dan, May 31, 2007

  2. "Dan" <> wrote in message
    news::

    > Im looking to get some certifications under the belt, and wanted to know
    > whats the best place to start studying for it. I have a two year degree
    > in
    > computer networking, recently got my A+ certification. And looking to
    > get my
    > Network+ and possibly the MCDST cert. I dont have too much work
    > experience, I
    > just started working as a technical support agent for a software
    > management
    > company about 6 months ago. Im thinking of just buying both MCDST
    > Self-Paced
    > Training Books, read and study that for awhile then take some practice
    > exams.
    > Anything else I might want to add? Also, is the MCDST a well known
    > certification? These days I see employers looking for MCSE, MCP, or just
    > even
    > A+. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

    Do not concentrate on achieving the certifications. Concentrate on
    learning the technology. Experience leads to certifications.

    Hopefully the employers you are seeing that list a recommended or
    required an MCSE will utilize the person who holds one instead of having
    them remove spyware from computers and troubleshoot in the desktop
    environment.

    To answer your question, yes the MCDST is a well known certification and
    earning this certification also lists you as an MCP as well.

    I recommend you visiting http://certguard.com/articles.asp and reading
    some of our articles. I believe you will find them educational. Good
    luck.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], May 31, 2007

  3. Dan

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard] piffled away vaguely:

    > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Im looking to get some certifications under the belt, and wanted to know
    >> whats the best place to start studying for it. I have a two year degree
    >> in
    >> computer networking, recently got my A+ certification. And looking to
    >> get my
    >> Network+ and possibly the MCDST cert. I dont have too much work
    >> experience, I
    >> just started working as a technical support agent for a software
    >> management
    >> company about 6 months ago. Im thinking of just buying both MCDST
    >> Self-Paced
    >> Training Books, read and study that for awhile then take some practice
    >> exams.
    >> Anything else I might want to add? Also, is the MCDST a well known
    >> certification? These days I see employers looking for MCSE, MCP, or just
    >> even
    >> A+. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

    > Do not concentrate on achieving the certifications. Concentrate on
    > learning the technology. Experience leads to certifications.
    >
    > Hopefully the employers you are seeing that list a recommended or
    > required an MCSE will utilize the person who holds one instead of having
    > them remove spyware from computers and troubleshoot in the desktop
    > environment.
    >
    > To answer your question, yes the MCDST is a well known certification and
    > earning this certification also lists you as an MCP as well.
    >
    > I recommend you visiting http://certguard.com/articles.asp and reading
    > some of our articles. I believe you will find them educational. Good
    > luck.

    You might want to pick up an extra machine (the beginnings of a lab)
    that you can mess with to study concepts and try things out on.
    Don't use one you are already using for regular stuff (bills,
    browsing, etc.) and definitely don't use the ones in the production
    environment at work to experiment on. This machine will be the first
    of many as you continue with your career.

    www.microsoft.com/learning has a list of current certifications,
    including audience (who should pursue them) and requirements.

    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Jun 1, 2007
  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks for the advice. In my currenty position, Im not able to gain the
    experience that I would like. I do plan on studying hard and not just picking
    up an exam cram book and pray I pass the test. I plan on using the two self
    paced training books to help me learn. I just recently build a budget
    computer that I can "test" or mess with like catwalker suggested. So I think
    I should be good to go. I think this method is best since Im not in a current
    position where I do desktop experience. I just basically troubleshoot company
    designed software for users.
    Dan, Jun 3, 2007
  5. "Dan" wrote:
    > In my currenty position, Im not able to gain the
    > experience that I would like.

    No one said it had to be PAID experience. I'm sure there are many charitible
    organizations (at least one of which is involved in some cause you can agree
    with) that would love to have volunteer support. Best is if you can find one
    with an experienced support person who needs some apprentice-level help.

    Or, try helping people via newsgroups or other online forums. Don't tell
    them to do something that you aren't sure about, but most problems can be
    solved via a little research -- which most people seem to not be very good
    at. Develop your "Google" skills. Tell pople "I'm not sure, but maybe this
    will help...".

    Good luck, and have fun!
    Michael D. Hensley, Jun 3, 2007
  6. Dan

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael D. Hensley piffled away vaguely:

    > "Dan" wrote:
    >> In my currenty position, Im not able to gain the
    >> experience that I would like.

    > Or, try helping people via newsgroups or other online forums. Don't tell
    > them to do something that you aren't sure about, but most problems can be
    > solved via a little research -- which most people seem to not be very good
    > at. Develop your "Google" skills. Tell pople "I'm not sure, but maybe this
    > will help...".
    >
    > Good luck, and have fun!

    Oh gawd! Now the siren's busted. Awooga, awooga! Abandon ship!

    catwalker63, Jun 3, 2007
  7. "Dan" wrote:
    > In my currenty position, Im not able to gain the
    > experience that I would like.

    To which I "piffled away vaguely":
    >> Or, try helping people via newsgroups or other online forums. Don't tell
    >> them to do something that you aren't sure about, but most problems can be
    >> solved via a little research -- which most people seem to not be very
    >> good
    >> at. Develop your "Google" skills. Tell people "I'm not sure, but maybe
    >> this
    >> will help...".

    And Catwalker then supplied the comedy gold:
    > Oh gawd! Now the siren's busted. Awooga, awooga! Abandon ship!

    This is why I hang out here; it's like the (very) old days on AFU. I've been
    laughing at that response (out loud) long enough that my my family has
    stopped
    giving me strange looks and is now creeping up behind me with a butterfly
    net.

    (You owe me a new laptop.)
    Michael D. Hensley, Jun 4, 2007
  8. Dan

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael D. Hensley piffled away vaguely:

    > (You owe me a new laptop.)

    You can have Midge. She's heavy and she glares even when she's
    purring. If she bites you it means she likes you. You may have
    difficulty keeping her on your lap but as long as she's not hissing,
    it's safe to keep holding her. Don't get your face too close.
    Really.

    catwalker63, Jun 4, 2007
  9. > You might want to pick up an extra machine (the beginnings of a lab)
    > that you can mess with to study concepts and try things out on.

    Yep!!! Ebay is a great place to go to pick up a decent machine cheap. At
    the risk of a cheap plug, I usually buy my lab machines from epcusa.com.
    They sell all thier off lease stuff for around 100 - 200 bucks and it's in
    decent enough shape for a test machine. Most of the time you even get a HDD
    with the machine. Check them out some time!

    --
    Chance Webster
    A+, Network+, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS

    Chance Webster, Jun 6, 2007