    problem areas. I've also heard that their 1200 series AP's can work in
    bridge mode. So maybe that would be an option. Any suggestions on how
    to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

    Ned, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Ned

    Merv Guest

    The db loss thru 5 walls will be substantial - each wall will create
    about 3 dB of loss

    you will probably need to get a pair of high-gain directional antennas

    a good company to deal with for antennas is Hyperlink Technologies in
    Boca Raton, Florida
    www.hyperlinktech.com

    Merv, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Ned

    stephen Guest

    "Ned" <> wrote in message
    > I rented a small office (15x35) and warehouse (20x45). They
    > areseparated by about 100 feet of space which is occupied by 5 other
    > small offices with walls made of sheetrock. Each location has 5
    > workstations and a switch. I want to connect them using a wireless
    > bridge so they can do file sharing, printing, and share the broadband
    > Internet connection. Running cat 5 is not an option. I want to survey
    > the area first to make sure wireless will work. Would using a wireless
    > access point and a laptop with a wireless card give me an accurate
    > estimate of the kind of signal I would get with a wireless bridge? I am
    > under the impression that bridges have a much greater range. I was
    > considering the Cisco 1300 series because reliability is extremely
    > important and I have seen Cisco WAP's successfully replace linksys in
    > problem areas. I've also heard that their 1200 series AP's can work in
    > bridge mode. So maybe that would be an option. Any suggestions on how
    > to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

    You might want to ask on alt.internet.wireless, but a summary of a recent
    discussion on there about wireless in a building is:
    1 wall without metal / foil backed board is OK, 2 is doable, 3 or more
    probably forget it.

    a Cat 5 cable would be faster, more reliable and more secure if you can get
    the cable access.

    If you cannot get a raceway, then maybe you could use homeplug to get a
    signal thru the power cables?
    exactly which units will depend on where you are in the world.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Thanks for your replies. I didn't realize each wall had such a big
    impact.
    Would placing a laptop at one end and an AP at the other give me some
    indication of what to expect with a bridge? Would Cisco vs Linksys
    make a difference?

    Ned, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Ned

    Merv Guest

    You could try using a laptop and an access point, but it is doubtful
    that the signal strength would be sufficient to communicate as the
    standard antennas on most AP are low-gain omnis.

    As the other poster suggested you might want to beg the landlord to run
    a CAT5E cable between your office and the warehouse.

    Merv, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Ned

    Merv Guest

    Is there telephone wiring running from your office and the warehouse to
    a common point?

    If so there are a number of long-reach Ethernet products that will work
    over CAT 3 cable

    Merv, Apr 2, 2006