    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Andy
    , Dec 20, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
    > for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
    > if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
    >
    > Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames
    > based on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really
    > want more bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually
    > viewing things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want
    > it to try to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated
    > and taking up 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to
    > download and not have to go back in later and batch convert all the
    > filenames....
    >
    > Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose
    > yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like
    > to have dashes in there).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    > Andy

    PIE - Picture Information Extractor

    http://www.picmeta.com/

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 20, 2005

  3. salgud Guest

    wrote:
    > I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
    > for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
    > if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
    >
    > Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
    > on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
    > bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
    > things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
    > to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
    > 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
    > have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....
    >
    > Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
    > ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
    > there).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    > Andy

    I'm using Picasa for now, but it seems that's overkill for what you
    want.
    Just a word of caution. Zoombrowser does 2 things I don't think you'll
    find elsewhere. It can display ALL your camera's settings, not just
    standard EXIF data. Things like enhanced color modes. The other feature
    it has is the ability to use custom settings in your camera for sounds,
    wallpaper, etc. This may or may not be of any importance to you. I keep
    ZB on my computer because it has these features.
    Hope this helps in your world.
    salgud, Dec 20, 2005
  4. grim Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
    >> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
    >> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
    >>
    >> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
    >> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
    >> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
    >> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
    >> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
    >> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
    >> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....
    >>
    >> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
    >> ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
    >> there).
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    >> Andy

    > I'm using Picasa for now, but it seems that's overkill for what you
    > want.
    > Just a word of caution. Zoombrowser does 2 things I don't think you'll
    > find elsewhere. It can display ALL your camera's settings, not just
    > standard EXIF data. Things like enhanced color modes. The other feature
    > it has is the ability to use custom settings in your camera for sounds,
    > wallpaper, etc. This may or may not be of any importance to you. I keep
    > ZB on my computer because it has these features.
    > Hope this helps in your world.

    Latest ZB is version 5.5 which is great.
    grim, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Dave Cohen Guest

    "grim" <> wrote in message

    > "salgud" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
    >>> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
    >>> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
    >>>
    >>> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
    >>> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
    >>> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
    >>> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
    >>> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
    >>> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
    >>> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....
    >>>
    >>> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
    >>> ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
    >>> there).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    >>> Andy

    >> I'm using Picasa for now, but it seems that's overkill for what you
    >> want.
    >> Just a word of caution. Zoombrowser does 2 things I don't think you'll
    >> find elsewhere. It can display ALL your camera's settings, not just
    >> standard EXIF data. Things like enhanced color modes. The other feature
    >> it has is the ability to use custom settings in your camera for sounds,
    >> wallpaper, etc. This may or may not be of any importance to you. I keep
    >> ZB on my computer because it has these features.
    >> Hope this helps in your world.
    >>

    > Latest ZB is version 5.5 which is great.

    You don't say what os. With xp, I keep zoombrowser on the system but don't
    use it. Like a previous poster said, it's the only way to change certain
    camera settings, in my case owner name.
    With xp, you have two choices. You can use the built in wizard which will
    create a download directory for you. I don't want to do that so I just use
    drag and drop from the canon folder that will appear after you plug the
    camera in.
    I don't rename until after I modify. I keep all originals in a specail
    folder. After I modify, I am now renaming with a name like img_2066scm.jpg.
    This indicates I sharpened, cropped and modified, but not necessarily in
    that order. I save modified prints in a folder name 'prints made' with
    subfolders.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 20, 2005
  6. salgud Guest

    grim wrote:
    > "salgud" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
    > >> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
    > >> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
    > >>
    > >> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
    > >> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
    > >> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
    > >> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
    > >> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
    > >> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
    > >> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....
    > >>
    > >> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
    > >> ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
    > >> there).
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    > >> Andy

    > > I'm using Picasa for now, but it seems that's overkill for what you
    > > want.
    > > Just a word of caution. Zoombrowser does 2 things I don't think you'll
    > > find elsewhere. It can display ALL your camera's settings, not just
    > > standard EXIF data. Things like enhanced color modes. The other feature
    > > it has is the ability to use custom settings in your camera for sounds,
    > > wallpaper, etc. This may or may not be of any importance to you. I keep
    > > ZB on my computer because it has these features.
    > > Hope this helps in your world.
    > >

    > Latest ZB is version 5.5 which is great.

    My experience was just the opposite (same version). Clunky interface,
    hard to get around, hard to do everything. They tried to redefine the
    GUI, using mostly non-standard ways of doing things which were
    counter-intuitive for me. And the three "modes" meant I was always
    switching modes. And half my computer screen occupied by blank gray
    areas that represented files with no pix in them. I'd keep my pix in
    standard Windoze files before I'd go back to ZB!
    salgud, Dec 20, 2005
  7. Guest Guest

    donnellaf> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
    donnellaf> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
    donnellaf> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?

    donnellaf> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
    donnellaf> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
    donnellaf> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
    donnellaf> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
    donnellaf> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
    donnellaf> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
    donnellaf> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....

    donnellaf> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
    >>> .jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in

    donnellaf> there).

    BreezeBrowser's DownloaderPro does this.

    It is highly configurable. I save in the following
    way:

    ....PhotoBaseDir\yyyy\yyyymmdd Name\Name XX.[jpg/crw]

    Where "Name" is entered into a popup window from
    DownloaderPro, and XX is the photo's number in
    the camera. I then rename them with sequential
    numbers unique to that folder. The dates in the
    Y's, M's and D's are from the date the photos
    were shot.

    I think it is about $20, perhaps $30.

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in rec.photo.digital...)
    Guest, Dec 20, 2005