    rate, any tips or ideas falling outside of the box would be
    appreciated.
    , Jun 29, 2006

  2. Pat Guest

    wrote:
    > Anyone do "head shots" for infants? Not sure if head shots is the
    > correct terminology for a six month old, but anyway...I'm looking for
    > recommendations/heuristics/settings for getting together some shots of
    > my six month old son. Normally, I wouldn't care for these type shots,
    > but everyone at his day care, other parents, friends, etc keep telling
    > us how gorgeous he is, that I should look into baby modelling,
    > whatever. So what the hell, I have some camera gear, why not. At any
    > rate, any tips or ideas falling outside of the box would be
    > appreciated.

    Basically, telling someone their kid is cute/pretty etc. is basically
    saying "Nice, job, the kid doesn't look like you". All kids are cute
    at that age. If they aren't, you call them "interesting". Like, it's
    "interesting" the way your kid has three eyes". Or, what an
    interesting monobrow. Just wait 'till he grows up....

    Just out of curiosity, is it a first grandchild for someone?

    Okay, all the usual rules apply. Don't photograph when he's tired,
    hungry, wet, or "uncomfortable" or dirty. That basically leaves 5
    minutes right after lunch.

    Prop him up with pillows so he doesn't move too much.

    Work quickly, but STAY CALM.

    Let him play with a favorite toy as you are setting up, etc. Then
    wrestle him for the toy and hold it near the camera so he looks at it.
    But don't shoot him in the eyes with your flash.

    It that doesn't work, do a mommy/baby picture. She'll like that in 15
    years.
    Pat, Jun 29, 2006

  3. Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > Basically, telling someone their kid is cute/pretty etc. is basically
    > saying "Nice, job, the kid doesn't look like you". All kids are cute
    > at that age. If they aren't, you call them "interesting". Like, it's
    > "interesting" the way your kid has three eyes". Or, what an
    > interesting monobrow. Just wait 'till he grows up....

    I agree, though this is different. I felt like that with our first
    child - My god is she beautiful, though not in a "commercial" way.
    He's different - at daycare, he's always got the teachers wanting to
    hold him, teachers from other classes are always stopping by to see
    him, people who otherwise have no interest in complementing him do,
    he's just got that something that you can't explain - it's not just the
    look, but the aura, I guess. He smiles constantly, laughs a lot for a
    six month old, etc. I'm not new at this kid thing, and I'm a hard-core
    cynic, believe me. The thing that confirmed my feeling was that a lady
    who had been in the kid modelling game said I should look into it - and
    I had the same feeling...I wouldn't have with my first born.

    > Just out of curiosity, is it a first grandchild for someone?

    Nope.

    > Okay, all the usual rules apply. Don't photograph when he's tired,
    > hungry, wet, or "uncomfortable" or dirty. That basically leaves 5
    > minutes right after lunch.

    Which is the reason I'm posting - he always seems happy, and it shows
    in his eyes. If he's not, if you just smile at him, he starts
    grinning...it's just different with him.

    > Prop him up with pillows so he doesn't move too much.
    >
    > Work quickly, but STAY CALM.
    >
    > Let him play with a favorite toy as you are setting up, etc. Then
    > wrestle him for the toy and hold it near the camera so he looks at it.
    > But don't shoot him in the eyes with your flash.

    I appreciate the tips.

    , Jun 29, 2006
  4. Jimbo Guest

    I photographed for Olan Mills for a while - I know cheesy but I was
    into doing intereesting poses and compositions - some ideas:

    - saw another guy do this - when she's sleeping - prop her in the right
    position - a little sitting up - need lots of the same colored soft
    pillow - try white - then cover with a pink blanket - make sure a dood
    portion of the face is showing - now the tricky part - move her hand so
    that's just touching the far cheek or lips while also resting on the
    pillow - get your wife in there - she'll know when it's a totally
    "cute" shot - then take the shot - also, try pink gelatin paper over
    the flash - it will wash pink over the scene

    - butt shot - no nudes but the classic diaperless shot while she's on
    the floor on the rug - get that tripod down low - don't shoot down

    - also, you can sometimes get grreat hand poses even if awake - propped
    up again by pillows maybe - small pillow or something in front - keep
    going up and grabbing both hands and pulling them together in front of
    her with a pose that looks good - let go of the hands making all sorts
    of goggley-woogley noises and stand up and back out of the image -
    you'll need someone else to fire the shutter or have a real long
    shuttter release in you hand - may have to do it over and over 'cause
    the hands will most likely keep pulling apart - but oon the 20th try
    they will stay there long enough to get the shot - and by making noises
    and backing sideways out of the shot her focus will remain on you and
    will be looking out of the frame instead of the ever common look
    straight at the camera pose

    get creative
    Jimbo, Jun 29, 2006
  5. Alex Guest

    On 29 Jun 2006 06:38:13 -0700, wrote:

    > At any
    >rate, any tips or ideas falling outside of the box would be
    >appreciated.

    Get down to his level or even lower (if possible). Use the largest
    aperture you can (highest f-number).

    --
    Alex
    atheist #2007
    Alex, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Ivo Touart Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > On 29 Jun 2006 06:38:13 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> At any
    >> rate, any tips or ideas falling outside of the box would be
    >> appreciated.

    > Get down to his level or even lower (if possible). Use the largest
    > aperture you can (highest f-number).

    The largest aperture would be the smallest F-number and the highest
    F-number would be the smallest aperture. Whichever did you mean?
    Besides... you need to keep your shutter speed relatively fast and
    F-numbers > 22 start to effect image quality (and i don't mean in a good
    way).
    Ivo Touart, Jun 30, 2006