    exam but I am doing this, at the moment, anyway for my own interest, even if
    it does slow things down (took me four months to study for 70-215)

    thanks for your help

    Paul Lantz, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Paul Lantz

    MCSE World Guest

    While it's not directly related to studying for 70-216, it might not hurt in
    the long run, especially if you have plans for a CCNA.

    The 2500 series are pretty much all at or past their end of life, but they
    are still very adequate for most CCNA labs. You can usually get a good deal
    like you said on eBay, but be careful and make sure you read the specs to
    make sure you know what you are getting.

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    "Paul Lantz" <> wrote in message
    > I am starting to work on 70-216 and am thinking about using a router for
    > practice.
    > I know that I can set up a windows 2000 server with two or more NICs as a
    > router and can see some ways to use inexpensive home routers as well
    > (plugging one network into the WAN port but these are generally pretty
    > limited and do not have static routing or support any routing protocols)

    but

    MCSE World, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Paul Lantz

    Paul Lantz Guest

    I think I would need something with two ethernet interfaces, these seem kind
    of rare and more expensive, eg 1605 for $320 (can see why a lot of people
    probably just use an old computer since cheaper).

    Are there any specific models that might be useful for routing between two
    or three networks (if only Virtual PC had virtual routers!)

    Paul Lantz, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Paul Lantz

    Gary K Guest

    Take a look at the Boson NetSim. It gives a pretty realistic simulation of
    a few Cisco routers and switches. While not all the Cisco IOS commands for
    the supported routers are available you can use rip, igrp, eigrp, and ospf
    as routing protocols. You can also set up serial, ethernet, fast ethernet,
    frame relay, isdn interfaces and vlans.

    NetSim is not without a few bugs, unfortunately, but it is much cheaper than
    several routers and switches. With it you can have up to 200 total devices
    with 40 different devices in the same network. It's pretty hard to beat for
    $250.

    Gary K, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Paul Lantz

    Dragon Guest

    Check out www.routersim.com. Good solution for learning Routers in a sim
    environment. Unfortunately, you will not be able to get your Win2K3 server
    to talk to it, but still a good resource for learning routing and stuff.

    Dragon, Sep 2, 2003