    Laurie Anderson
    from
    "Strange Angles"

    John A. Stovall, Feb 14, 2004

  2. John A. Stovall

    Robertwgross Guest

    John wrote:
    >I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
    >to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
    >should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
    >to transfer it to my big home system.
    >What features should I look for? Who makes the better quality ones
    >and where can one find them at good prices? I just need a place to
    >dump a couple of thousand images. I don't need to view them.

    X-drive is one brand that has had these on the market for a while. I have an
    old version 1 that was very inexpensive. Then they have a version 2 and version
    3 now.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Feb 14, 2004

  3. John A. Stovall <> writes:

    > I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
    > to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What

    This is a frequently asked question. I suggest going to
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    and setting the search form up to search only in rec.photo.digital and
    searching for
    portable storage
    in the space "Find messages with all the words " -- you'll get over
    1600 hits. You'll get threads with links to reviews, personal experience,
    and much much more! :->

    Phil Stripling, Feb 14, 2004
  4. "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    > I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
    > to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
    > should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
    > to transfer it to my big home system.
    >
    > What features should I look for? Who makes the better quality ones
    > and where can one find them at good prices? I just need a place to
    > dump a couple of thousand images. I don't need to view them.

    Check www.mydigitaldiscount.com. I bought a 40GB "Tripper" and am
    very satisfied with the product and the service.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 14, 2004
  5. "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    > I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
    > to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
    > should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
    > to transfer it to my big home system.

    Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
    Say 3 x 512MB cards....

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 14, 2004
  6. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:06:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit> wrote:

    >"John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
    >> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
    >> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
    >> to transfer it to my big home system.

    >Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
    >Say 3 x 512MB cards....

    That's barely a Gig. I can fill that in 3 days or less. I'm doing
    images for a book of historical cemeteries and burials in Texas and
    over Christmas had in 3 days a couple of gig done.

    "Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."

    Tim Page in
    "Dispatches"
    by Michael Herr

    John A. Stovall, Feb 14, 2004
  7. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:50:05 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    <> wrote:

    >"John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
    >> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
    >> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
    >> to transfer it to my big home system.
    >>
    >> What features should I look for? Who makes the better quality ones
    >> and where can one find them at good prices? I just need a place to
    >> dump a couple of thousand images. I don't need to view them.
    >>

    >Check www.mydigitaldiscount.com. I bought a 40GB "Tripper" and am
    >very satisfied with the product and the service.

    What OS do you run? I'm using W2K Pro (SP 4) and saw one review that
    it did not play well with it.

    "Freedom is merely privilege extended
    Unless enjoyed by one and all."

    Billy Bragg's "The Internationale"
    from the album "The Internationale"

    John A. Stovall, Feb 14, 2004
  8. > >Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
    > >Say 3 x 512MB cards....

    > That's barely a Gig. I can fill that in 3 days or less. I'm doing
    > images for a book of historical cemeteries and burials in Texas and
    > over Christmas had in 3 days a couple of gig done.

    Well, I hope it's a Gig and a half!

    I guess it depends what editing you want to do while away and what
    format/quality you need to save pictures in. I don't like the idea either
    of trusting my photos to a rotating storage medium, nor of having to take
    around anything more than is absolutely essential.

    I can appreciate that your requirements may differ.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 14, 2004
  9. John A. Stovall

    Zol. Guest

    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:06:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit> wrote:
    >
    > >"John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
    > >> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
    > >> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
    > >> to transfer it to my big home system.

    > >Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
    > >Say 3 x 512MB cards....

    > That's barely a Gig. I can fill that in 3 days or less. I'm doing
    > images for a book of historical cemeteries and burials in Texas and
    > over Christmas had in 3 days a couple of gig done.
    >
    > "Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."
    >
    > Tim Page in
    > "Dispatches"
    > by Michael Herr

    I was in a similar position when I took a trip abroad - I bought a Smartdisk FlashTrax Unit
    40Gb which can store and view images from a CF Card or Microdrive (including RAW files of
    some cameras) on it`s 3.5 inch screen or output to TV or transfered and/or viewed by USB to
    PC - maybe a little pricey
    but it fitted my need . It also plays MP3 files and avi files encoded with mjpeg - If your
    camera doesn`t have a CF Card slot and uses SD Cards or the like then an adapter would need
    to be ought seperately(I don`t know why they don`t include it as standard to be honest).
    transfering to and from CF Card is easy but I would say the battery life is quite short (3
    hours) but comes with a 100-240volt adapter ... Hope that`s another option for you -
    www.smartdisk.com (other devices also available)

    Zol., Feb 14, 2004
  10. John A. Stovall

    Dave Head Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:23:43 GMT, John A. Stovall <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:06:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    ><-this-bit> wrote:
    >
    >>"John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
    >>> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
    >>> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
    >>> to transfer it to my big home system.

    >>Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
    >>Say 3 x 512MB cards....

    >That's barely a Gig. I can fill that in 3 days or less. I'm doing
    >images for a book of historical cemeteries and burials in Texas and
    >over Christmas had in 3 days a couple of gig done.
    >
    >"Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."
    >
    > Tim Page in
    > "Dispatches"
    > by Michael Herr

    Lessee, you can fill a gig in 3 days, and its a 1 week trip, so it sounds like
    you need a little over 2 gig.

    There's plenty of talk lately about the 4 Gb. CF card available as an intrinsic
    component of a brand new music player, a Creative Labs MuVo II. See it here:

    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90130892&loc=111&sp=1

    Buy it, tear it apart, there's a 4 Gb CF card inside. Neat. Less than $200.
    Otherwise, 4 Gb cards for sale as stock items come in around $500, at least the
    last time I looked.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Feb 14, 2004
  11. John A. Stovall

    Woobie Guest

    Check out the Rodestor (sp.) It's a portable CD Burner/ DVD player that
    has a 4 in 1 adapter on the side. It's 199.99 at Office Depot with a 50.00
    rebate (regularly 249.99.) I don't know the burning speed, but it's totally
    portable and about the size of a paperback book. When the price goes down,
    I'm getting one. I am curious about battery life.
    Joe
    "Dave Head" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:23:43 GMT, John A. Stovall

    <>

    Woobie, Feb 14, 2004
  12. "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:50:05 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > What OS do you run? I'm using W2K Pro (SP 4) and saw one review

    that
    > it did not play well with it.

    I'm running XP Pro and also use it on an XP Home laptop. It plays
    very well XP. I also use it as a portable drive to transfer large
    files from my office to my home.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 14, 2004