    I am going to look into that.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, May 28, 2009

  2. MaryL

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:46:32 -0500, "MaryL"
    <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

    >I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
    >photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
    >like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
    >me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
    >photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
    >arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
    >done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
    >and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
    >individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
    >because there are so many of them.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
    >I am going to look into that.

    You really haven't explained what you want to do. Do you want to put
    up the images so other people can see them, or do you want to put up
    the images so other people can download them or order prints?

    I've used several photo hosting sites, and none of the crop the images
    to any specified ratio. Some have maximum dimensions, but the ratio
    will be what you upload.

    You can do a nice album presentation or slide show with JAlbum (free)
    or Photobucket (free), and both have bulk uploaders. Neither requires
    any particular crop ratio. There will be a maximum size, though.

    I don't use Shutterfly or Snapfish, and wouldn't touch Picasa with a
    ten-foot pole, so I can't comment on what crop ratios they require.
    If any.

    If you are willing to pay for a service, I recommend SmugMug. For a
    large number of photos, you can set up several galleries. See mine at

    All three of these hosts can be Googled.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 28, 2009

  3. MaryL

    Twibil Guest

    On May 27, 10:44 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:

    > If you are willing to pay for a service, I recommend SmugMug.  For a
    > large number of photos, you can set up several galleries.  See mine at

    Forget something, did we?

    Twibil, May 28, 2009
  4. MaryL

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 22:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Twibil
    <> wrote:

    >On May 27, 10:44 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>
    >> If you are willing to pay for a service, I recommend SmugMug.  For a
    >> large number of photos, you can set up several galleries.  See mine at

    >Forget something, did we?

    No, actually I changed my mind and forgot to change the post. I was
    going to provide a link and thought better of it. It's not hard to
    find, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 28, 2009
  5. MaryL

    Dave P. Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message

    snipped bits

    > I don't use Shutterfly or Snapfish, and wouldn't touch Picasa with a
    > ten-foot pole, so I can't comment on what crop ratios they require.
    > If any.

    Hi,

    I'm just starting to play with Picasa on my PC and intend to try it for web
    albums to share pictures with friends. Why wouldn't you touch Picasa; is it
    a anti-Google thing or is there something wrong with the product itself?

    --
    Regards,

    Dave P.

    Dave P., May 28, 2009
  6. MaryL

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:07:10 +0100, "Dave P."
    <dave_dot_petty@removebaesystems_dot_com> wrote:

    >"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >
    >snipped bits
    >>
    >> I don't use Shutterfly or Snapfish, and wouldn't touch Picasa with a
    >> ten-foot pole, so I can't comment on what crop ratios they require.
    >> If any.
    >>

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm just starting to play with Picasa on my PC and intend to try it for web
    >albums to share pictures with friends. Why wouldn't you touch Picasa; is it
    >a anti-Google thing or is there something wrong with the product itself?

    It takes over your images and creates a directory on your HD. I like
    to manage my own files.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 28, 2009
  7. MaryL

    GregS Guest

    In article <4a1e1729$0$23775$>, "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
    >I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
    >photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
    >like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
    >me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
    >photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
    >arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
    >done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
    >and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
    >individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
    >because there are so many of them.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
    >I am going to look into that.

    When I put up pictures I FTP them to my FREE web space as such provided by my
    internet provider COMCAST. Like this.....
    http://home.comcast.net/~zekor/index.htm

    GregS, May 28, 2009
  8. MaryL

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:54:33 GMT, (GregS)
    wrote:

    >In article <4a1e1729$0$23775$>, "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
    >>I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
    >>photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
    >>like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
    >>me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
    >>photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
    >>arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
    >>done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
    >>and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
    >>individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
    >>because there are so many of them.
    >>
    >>Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
    >>I am going to look into that.

    >When I put up pictures I FTP them to my FREE web space as such provided by my
    >internet provider COMCAST. Like this.....
    >http://home.comcast.net/~zekor/index.htm

    I do the same for certain projects, but doing so requires at least a
    minimum knowledge of html. The OP hasn't indicated that she has that
    knowledge or want to learn html.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 28, 2009
  9. MaryL

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:46:32 -0500, MaryL wrote:

    > I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
    > photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and
    > would like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who
    > travelled with me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have
    > checked out several photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.),
    > and most of them will arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6"
    > dimensions. That seems to be done so people can order online, but I can
    > print these same photos myself and they look just fine. Those same
    > sites offer an opportunity to individually set cropping sizes, but that
    > would take a great deal of time because there are so many of them.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested,
    > and I am going to look into that.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MaryL

    One possibility would be to set up a personal web site - then you can post
    what you like, how you like. I beleive netfirms.com has some free hosting
    available - commercial ones start at $60/year and offer greater resources.

    ray, May 28, 2009
  10. MaryL

    GregS Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:54:33 GMT, (GregS)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <4a1e1729$0$23775$>, "MaryL"

    > <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
    >>>I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
    >>>photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and would
    >>>like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who travelled with
    >>>me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have checked out several
    >>>photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.), and most of them will
    >>>arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6" dimensions. That seems to be
    >>>done so people can order online, but I can print these same photos myself
    >>>and they look just fine. Those same sites offer an opportunity to
    >>>individually set cropping sizes, but that would take a great deal of time
    >>>because there are so many of them.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested, and
    >>>I am going to look into that.

    >>When I put up pictures I FTP them to my FREE web space as such provided by my
    >>internet provider COMCAST. Like this.....
    >>http://home.comcast.net/~zekor/index.htm

    >I do the same for certain projects, but doing so requires at least a
    >minimum knowledge of html. The OP hasn't indicated that she has that
    >knowledge or want to learn html.

    Very minimal with an editor like ACDSee. It makes the pages. You can make the
    pictures any size, the thumnails any size, any # of pages, any colored pages.
    If you can't do FTP, your an internet dumbo.

    greg

    GregS, May 28, 2009
  11. MaryL

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 28 May 2009 14:46:45 GMT, (GregS)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:54:33 GMT, (GregS)
    >>wrote:

    >>>When I put up pictures I FTP them to my FREE web space as such provided by my
    >>>internet provider COMCAST. Like this.....
    >>>http://home.comcast.net/~zekor/index.htm

    >>I do the same for certain projects, but doing so requires at least a
    >>minimum knowledge of html. The OP hasn't indicated that she has that
    >>knowledge or want to learn html.

    >Very minimal with an editor like ACDSee. It makes the pages. You can make the
    >pictures any size, the thumnails any size, any # of pages, any colored pages.
    >If you can't do FTP, your an internet dumbo.

    Why should she bother? I learned html for a specific purpose, but why
    should someone who wants to put up some vacation photos bother when
    there are sites around like JAlbum or Photobucket that allow her to
    just do what she wants to do without extra steps?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 28, 2009
  12. MaryL

    Guest

    On Thu, 28 May 2009 10:04:17 -0400, in rec.photo.digital tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >>When I put up pictures I FTP them to my FREE web space as such provided by my
    >>internet provider COMCAST. Like this.....
    >>http://home.comcast.net/~zekor/index.htm

    >I do the same for certain projects, but doing so requires at least a
    >minimum knowledge of html. The OP hasn't indicated that she has that
    >knowledge or want to learn html.

    No need to learn html at all with free packages such as JAlbum around.
    at http://www.jalbulm.net . I do prefer my own web space though.

    , May 28, 2009
  13. Picasa Was: Suggestions for photo sharing sites?

    tony cooper wrote:

    > It takes over your images and creates a directory on your HD. I like
    > to manage my own files.

    When did Picasa do this? I download from camera with Canon Utility to
    year/month folders, and use Picasa to browse the pictures and upload to
    Picasaweb (1024 MB for free). The only time I've seen Picasa make a new
    folder is when you edit pictures - then a new hidden folder named
    "Originals" are made containing the original picture.

    --
    Kristian Kjerstad

    Kristian Kjerstad, May 28, 2009
  14. tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:07:10 +0100, "Dave P."
    > <dave_dot_petty@removebaesystems_dot_com> wrote:

    >>"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>snipped bits
    >>>
    >>> I don't use Shutterfly or Snapfish, and wouldn't touch Picasa with a
    >>> ten-foot pole, so I can't comment on what crop ratios they require.
    >>> If any.
    >>>

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm just starting to play with Picasa on my PC and intend to try it for web
    >>albums to share pictures with friends. Why wouldn't you touch Picasa; is it
    >>a anti-Google thing or is there something wrong with the product itself?

    > It takes over your images and creates a directory on your HD. I like
    > to manage my own files.

    Only if you let it do that. Like you I like to manage my own directory
    structures, so I told Picasa to stick with them, which it quite
    happily does. I do let it create subdirectories within my image files
    in which to automatically store the originals when I do some editing
    so that I can always restore the original, which I regard as a useful
    and convenient feature which saves me the bother of doing it myself.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, May 28, 2009
  15. MaryL

    GregS Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 28 May 2009 14:46:45 GMT, (GregS)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, tony cooper

    > <> wrote:

    > would

    > with

    > my
    >>>
    >>>I do the same for certain projects, but doing so requires at least a
    >>>minimum knowledge of html. The OP hasn't indicated that she has that
    >>>knowledge or want to learn html.

    >>Very minimal with an editor like ACDSee. It makes the pages. You can make the
    >>pictures any size, the thumnails any size, any # of pages, any colored pages.
    >>If you can't do FTP, your an internet dumbo.
    >>

    >Why should she bother? I learned html for a specific purpose, but why
    >should someone who wants to put up some vacation photos bother when
    >there are sites around like JAlbum or Photobucket that allow her to
    >just do what she wants to do without extra steps?

    I think most suck thats why. I hate viewing on those sites. Its so much easier
    to view on a page without all the advertisements and having limited power
    to size as you please. For viewing by specific individuals a specified site
    is the ultimate. For viewing by the public in general, a site like photobucket
    is likely going to be easier to search for titles and view. A specific site also
    offers some security from all kinds of people looking at pictures that
    you don't want everybody looking at.

    greg

    GregS, May 28, 2009
  16. MaryL

    tony cooper Guest

    On 28 May 2009 17:00:36 GMT, Chris Malcolm <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:07:10 +0100, "Dave P."
    >> <dave_dot_petty@removebaesystems_dot_com> wrote:

    >>>"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>snipped bits

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I'm just starting to play with Picasa on my PC and intend to try it for web
    >>>albums to share pictures with friends. Why wouldn't you touch Picasa; is it
    >>>a anti-Google thing or is there something wrong with the product itself?

    >> It takes over your images and creates a directory on your HD. I like
    >> to manage my own files.

    >Only if you let it do that. Like you I like to manage my own directory
    >structures, so I told Picasa to stick with them, which it quite
    >happily does. I do let it create subdirectories within my image files
    >in which to automatically store the originals when I do some editing
    >so that I can always restore the original, which I regard as a useful
    >and convenient feature which saves me the bother of doing it myself.

    If you and Kristian (the other reply) are happy with Picasa, then use
    it. I don't like it, I don't like it creating subdirectories, and I
    don't like it storing my originals and making a copy of my edit, and I
    don't like the web interface.

    I shoot RAW, keep my .DNG files for future edits, make my edits in CS4
    as .psds, put saved-as .jpgs up, and organize with Lightroom. Those
    are my preferences.

    I use Photobucket for certain projects, I use JAlbum for certain
    projects, and I have a SmugMug gallery. I recommend these
    applications because I think they work well. I don't recommend what I
    don't like. I'm not on a campaign to eliminate Picasa or discourage
    others from using it. I'm saying I don't like it myself. There's
    no need for argument.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 28, 2009
  17. MaryL

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 28 May 2009 17:02:35 GMT, (GregS)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 28 May 2009 14:46:45 GMT, (GregS)
    >>wrote:

    >> would

    >> with

    >> my

    >>>Very minimal with an editor like ACDSee. It makes the pages. You can make the
    >>>pictures any size, the thumnails any size, any # of pages, any colored pages.
    >>>If you can't do FTP, your an internet dumbo.
    >>>

    >>Why should she bother? I learned html for a specific purpose, but why
    >>should someone who wants to put up some vacation photos bother when
    >>there are sites around like JAlbum or Photobucket that allow her to
    >>just do what she wants to do without extra steps?
    >>

    >I think most suck thats why. I hate viewing on those sites. Its so much easier
    >to view on a page without all the advertisements and having limited power
    >to size as you please. For viewing by specific individuals a specified site
    >is the ultimate. For viewing by the public in general, a site like photobucket
    >is likely going to be easier to search for titles and view. A specific site also
    >offers some security from all kinds of people looking at pictures that
    >you don't want everybody looking at.

    You have no idea what you are talking about. Photobucket images can
    be private and set to requiring a password to view. My SmugMug site
    has public galleries and private galleries. Passwords are required to
    view the private galleries.

    My SmugMug images will view at the size submitted if that is clicked
    or at any one of 7 different sizes. My SmugMug pages have no
    advertisements.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 28, 2009
  18. MaryL

    Dave Cohen Guest

    MaryL wrote:
    > I just returned from a trip to Greece. I took a large number of digital
    > photos (excessive, really). I cropped a lot of them in ThumbsPlus and
    > would like to be able to *easily* post a lot of them so friends who
    > travelled with me--and a few others--can view them. However, I have
    > checked out several photo sharing sites (Shutterfly, Snapfish, etc.),
    > and most of them will arbitrarily crop to fit the standard 4" x 6"
    > dimensions. That seems to be done so people can order online, but I can
    > print these same photos myself and they look just fine. Those same
    > sites offer an opportunity to individually set cropping sizes, but that
    > would take a great deal of time because there are so many of them.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a (free) site? Picasa Web Pages has been suggested,
    > and I am going to look into that.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MaryL

    This probably isn't what you want, but to simply share pictures with
    guests you invite, this site http://www.pixentral.com/ couldn't be
    easier. Upload to a unique directory, they give you a url which you then
    email to those you invite. Downside is images are only retained for
    around thirty days and you can't download (can order prints). No sign
    up, no passwords no hassle.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 29, 2009
  19. MaryL

    GregS Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 28 May 2009 17:02:35 GMT, (GregS)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, tony cooper

    > <> wrote:

    >>> would
    >>> with

    > be

    > and

    >>> my

    > the

    > pages.
    >>>>

    >>>Why should she bother? I learned html for a specific purpose, but why
    >>>should someone who wants to put up some vacation photos bother when
    >>>there are sites around like JAlbum or Photobucket that allow her to
    >>>just do what she wants to do without extra steps?
    >>>

    >>I think most suck thats why. I hate viewing on those sites. Its so much easier
    >>to view on a page without all the advertisements and having limited power
    >>to size as you please. For viewing by specific individuals a specified site
    >>is the ultimate. For viewing by the public in general, a site like photobucket
    >>is likely going to be easier to search for titles and view. A specific site

    > also
    >>offers some security from all kinds of people looking at pictures that
    >>you don't want everybody looking at.
    >>

    >You have no idea what you are talking about. Photobucket images can
    >be private and set to requiring a password to view. My SmugMug site
    >has public galleries and private galleries. Passwords are required to
    >view the private galleries.
    >
    >My SmugMug images will view at the size submitted if that is clicked
    >or at any one of 7 different sizes. My SmugMug pages have no
    >advertisements.

    Well it might be easy and OK. Its also easier to use a point and shoot.

    greg

    GregS, May 29, 2009
  20. MaryL

    GregS Guest

    In article <>, You DSLR-TROLLS Are So Fucking Lame <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 29 May 2009 13:14:42 GMT, (GregS) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, tony cooper

    > <> wrote:

    > digital

    > several

    >>> be

    > myself

    > time

    >>> and

    > by

    >>> the
    >>> pages.

    > easier

    > photobucket
    >>> also
    >>>>

    >>>You have no idea what you are talking about. Photobucket images can
    >>>be private and set to requiring a password to view. My SmugMug site
    >>>has public galleries and private galleries. Passwords are required to
    >>>view the private galleries.
    >>>
    >>>My SmugMug images will view at the size submitted if that is clicked
    >>>or at any one of 7 different sizes. My SmugMug pages have no
    >>>advertisements.

    >>Well it might be easy and OK. Its also easier to use a point and shoot.
    >>
    >>greg

    >You need to clarify that statement. It's easier to use any camera in its
    >green-labeled "AUTO" mode. To this date, during over 40 years of
    >photography, I have yet to put any camera on its "AUTO" setting. DSLRs are
    >just as simple to use for the casual snapshooter when set to their P&S
    >"AUTO" mode. Considering that all DSLR owners pride their cameras on
    >auto-focus and machine-gunning auto burst speeds, it becomes obvious that
    >the vast majority of them always use their cameras in rudimentary
    >snapshooters' P&S "AUTO" modes whenever possible. All of the higher-end P&S
    >cameras have just as much, and many P&S cameras have even more, options and
    >settings than any top-shelf DSLRs. I defy any DSLRs-only owner to learn to
    >use the vast capabilities and intricacies of any CHDK P&S camera within one
    >month if they've never used it before. I helped to create CHDK and even I
    >haven't yet used all of its capabilities during the last 2.5 years of its
    >existence. It all depends on how you want to use those P&S cameras and what
    >your level of photography expertise might be. It's obvious from your wholly
    >simple-minded statement that your ability to function around cameras is
    >rather low on the evolutionary ladder. No doubt, if there was a
    >photo-hosting site called SlugMug your photography would be welcomed there.

    I'll clarify. If you can learn to use a camera, then you can learn how to use
    the internet.

    I actually have failed at getting anywhere close to learning a new
    camera I bought. Somewhere way down in the screens and tables is
    a way to manually focus. I can't even begin to tell how to do that.
    It s Fuji SD2000HD Its not a very intuitive camera to learn.

    greg

    GregS, May 29, 2009