    read a few bad user reviews so I have doubts. Anyone have any comments
    about that specific monitor?

    Thanks.

    Mark, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Mark

    HF Guest

    Well that is what reviews are for and another opinion might differ but then
    where are you.????? Make up your own mind..
    "Mark" <-flamingo.org> wrote in message
    > My current monitor's messed up (it doesn't display any red) so I've been
    > looking around for a replacement, probably a 19 inch CRT. Basically I'm
    > just a general user, view a lot of text, some pictures and games,
    > graphics occasionally. Any suggestions of a good monitor? I've been
    > looking at the Samsung 955DF, and it generally sounds good, but I've
    > read a few bad user reviews so I have doubts. Anyone have any comments
    > about that specific monitor?
    >

    > Thanks.

    ---

    HF, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Mark

    gene Guest

    I don't have comments on that specific monitor, but I can comment
    generally. I just ordered and received a Dell monitor from
    Tigerdirect. It was pretty inexpensive, but I was surprised that it
    was manufactured in 1999 and that it is really bulky. It's a good
    monitor, a 19" flat screen. But here again is a slight surprise, it's
    not perfectly flat. It has some curve to it.

    That's a little bit of a tangent, but the story is instructive; if you
    live in a city, go check out the local offerings. You'll be able to
    see for yourself which monitor you prefer. If you so choose, you can
    then order it online. In this way, you'll not be surprised like I
    was.

    I'm not sure about Tiger Direct's return policy, but returning this
    behemoth would be a bit of a pain, so I'll keep it. It's a decent
    monitor, but not what I expected.

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:28:57 GMT, Mark
    <-flamingo.org> wrote:

    >My current monitor's messed up (it doesn't display any red) so I've been
    >looking around for a replacement, probably a 19 inch CRT. Basically I'm
    >just a general user, view a lot of text, some pictures and games,
    >graphics occasionally. Any suggestions of a good monitor? I've been
    >looking at the Samsung 955DF, and it generally sounds good, but I've
    >read a few bad user reviews so I have doubts. Anyone have any comments
    >about that specific monitor?
    >

    >Thanks.

    Please respond to group; email address is just for spam. Thanks!

    gene, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Mark

    Thor Guest

    "gene" <> wrote in message
    > I don't have comments on that specific monitor, but I can comment
    > generally. I just ordered and received a Dell monitor from
    > Tigerdirect. It was pretty inexpensive, but I was surprised that it
    > was manufactured in 1999 and that it is really bulky. It's a good
    > monitor, a 19" flat screen. But here again is a slight surprise, it's
    > not perfectly flat. It has some curve to it.

    "Flat" in a CRT monitor usually means vertically flat. Horizontally, some
    degree of curvature usually still exists. There are a few "perfect flat"
    CRTs out now, and they are pretty much flat on both planes, but a 1999 model
    wouldn't likely have this feature. Are you sure yours isn't a refurbished
    monitor? I find it unusual a 1999 model would be sold otherwise.

    Thor, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Mark

    Guest

    <-flamingo.org> wrote:

    >My current monitor's messed up (it doesn't display any red) so I've been
    >looking around for a replacement, probably a 19 inch CRT. Basically I'm
    >just a general user, view a lot of text, some pictures and games,
    >graphics occasionally. Any suggestions of a good monitor? I've been
    >looking at the Samsung 955DF, and it generally sounds good, but I've
    >read a few bad user reviews so I have doubts. Anyone have any comments
    >about that specific monitor?
    >

    >Thanks.

    I probably have my terminology wrong. So somebody here can correct me.

    I would avoid the "Shadow Mask" type and get a "Trinitron" type - the
    one with 2 lines running across.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Feb 12, 2004
  6. Mark

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    wrote in news::

    > I would avoid the "Shadow Mask" type and get a "Trinitron" type - the
    > one with 2 lines running across.

    Terminology is not wrong at all. Trinitron tubes do indeed have 2 wires (3
    wires on the larger displays, I believe) that run horizontally across the
    screen. They are quite faint, and barely noticeable on any colored screen
    (you can see them on a plain white screen usually). I don't mean an
    ungodly ugly line or anything, but a faint grey line. If you use a
    Trinitron monitor on a regular basis, eventually you don't even notice the
    lines anymore, and other than that one minor shortfall their picture
    quality is fantastic.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Mark

    Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 06:40:11 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> I would avoid the "Shadow Mask" type and get a "Trinitron" type - the
    >> one with 2 lines running across.

    >Terminology is not wrong at all. Trinitron tubes do indeed have 2 wires (3
    >wires on the larger displays, I believe) that run horizontally across the
    >screen. They are quite faint, and barely noticeable on any colored screen
    >(you can see them on a plain white screen usually). I don't mean an
    >ungodly ugly line or anything, but a faint grey line. If you use a
    >Trinitron monitor on a regular basis, eventually you don't even notice the
    >lines anymore, and other than that one minor shortfall their picture
    >quality is fantastic.

    OTOH, the Shadow Mask type has a weird grid. After long usage, I tend
    to have after images - kind of like minute honeycomb images. I hate my
    current monitor and it's considered excellent.

    Lord, won't you buy me a trinitron.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Feb 12, 2004
  8. Mark

    gene Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:14:01 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >"Flat" in a CRT monitor usually means vertically flat. Horizontally, some
    >degree of curvature usually still exists. There are a few "perfect flat"
    >CRTs out now, and they are pretty much flat on both planes, but a 1999 model
    >wouldn't likely have this feature. Are you sure yours isn't a refurbished
    >monitor? I find it unusual a 1999 model would be sold otherwise.

    Hi Thor.

    It is indeed a "recertified" monitor. I think this is another way of
    saying "refurbished". Come to think of it, what does this mean? The
    website I purchased it from claims recertified means that it was
    shipped to a customer (By Dell, I guess), and was returned (due to a
    defect, probably).

    The claim is that the product is then checked and repaired and then
    sold again, to me. By this description, I figured that the monitor
    would have been manufactured more recently.

    That said, the monitor was only about $118 US after $20 rebate. It's
    a Dell D1226H 19" monitor. The site claimed it is a Trinitron, but I
    don't see the two horizontal lines I expected. The site also said it
    was flat; there's a slight curvature in either axis, but I guess for
    classification purposes, it could be considered "flat".

    I hope this doesn't come off as whiny. I think it was a good deal
    considering the price paid for a large monitor. Just that I was
    surprised by the purchase, is all.
    Please respond to group; email address is just for spam. Thanks!

    gene, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Mark

    Thor Guest

    "gene" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:14:01 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    > >"Flat" in a CRT monitor usually means vertically flat. Horizontally, some
    > >degree of curvature usually still exists. There are a few "perfect flat"
    > >CRTs out now, and they are pretty much flat on both planes, but a 1999

    model
    > >wouldn't likely have this feature. Are you sure yours isn't a refurbished
    > >monitor? I find it unusual a 1999 model would be sold otherwise.
    > >

    > Hi Thor.
    >
    > It is indeed a "recertified" monitor. I think this is another way of
    > saying "refurbished". Come to think of it, what does this mean? The
    > website I purchased it from claims recertified means that it was
    > shipped to a customer (By Dell, I guess), and was returned (due to a
    > defect, probably).

    Could have been a defective one to start with, but more likely someone just
    opened it, and then sent it back. Happens quite often. Since it was opened
    by a customer, many companies won't resell them as "new" but sell them as
    "recertfied", because they are checked over.

    > The claim is that the product is then checked and repaired and then
    > sold again, to me. By this description, I figured that the monitor
    > would have been manufactured more recently.

    Could have been old stock sitting around some warehouse for awhile. It's
    hard to tell for certain.

    > That said, the monitor was only about $118 US after $20 rebate. It's
    > a Dell D1226H 19" monitor. The site claimed it is a Trinitron, but I
    > don't see the two horizontal lines I expected. The site also said it
    > was flat; there's a slight curvature in either axis, but I guess for
    > classification purposes, it could be considered "flat".

    If you don't see the lines (look hard on a bright background because they
    are faint) then it's not likely to be a Trinitron. Curvature on the
    horizontal axis is normal even for a trinitron, but vertically it should be
    pretty much flat.

    > I hope this doesn't come off as whiny. I think it was a good deal
    > considering the price paid for a large monitor. Just that I was
    > surprised by the purchase, is all.

    Does it have any warranty?

    Thor, Feb 12, 2004
  10. Mark

    gene Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:34:57 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >If you don't see the lines (look hard on a bright background because they
    >are faint) then it's not likely to be a Trinitron. Curvature on the
    >horizontal axis is normal even for a trinitron, but vertically it should be
    >pretty much flat.

    It's not perfectly flat vertically, nor does it have the lines, unless
    they are really really faint. I guess it's a case of mis-advertised
    product. Still quite impressed with it. The lines of the Trinitron
    kind of bugged me, so that's kind of good news/bad news.

    >Does it have any warranty?

    I think it has a 3 month waranty. I expect it will easily outlast
    that. Hopefully it will last a few years at least.

    Please respond to group; email address is just for spam. Thanks!

    gene, Feb 13, 2004
  11. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I purchased a ViewSonic A90f+ instead of the Samsung. I had seen some
    bad reviews about the Viewsonic (although I cannot recall what, at the
    moment) which swayed me towards the Samsung, but while in the store the
    Viewsonic just looked better. I've had it since Sunday and it's
    definately a nice monitor in my use so far.

    Just thought I'd give an update.

    Mark, Feb 13, 2004
  12. Mark

    Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:29:47 GMT, Mark
    <-flamingo.org> wrote:

    >I purchased a ViewSonic A90f+ instead of the Samsung. I had seen some
    >bad reviews about the Viewsonic (although I cannot recall what, at the
    >moment) which swayed me towards the Samsung, but while in the store the
    >Viewsonic just looked better. I've had it since Sunday and it's
    >definately a nice monitor in my use so far.
    >
    >Just thought I'd give an update.

    Here's my review. I bought one 6 months ago - recommended by people in
    this group. It's a 19". My last monitor was a 17" Sony trinitron.

    I'm perfectly sure the A90f+ is an excellent monitor within it's
    class.

    The fact that the center of the screen tends to be red and the edges
    tend to be blue is something that, I suppose, people get used to. I
    thought it was a factory defect and spent $50 for shipping for
    warranty work. They sent me a different unit with exactly the same
    swarmy coloring scheme.

    The monitor has very fine dot pitch (measured differently by different
    companies) at the center of the screen. At the edge of the screen,
    it's "True Grit".

    Has two modes - kind of dim, and not quite so dim.

    The best feature of the monitor is that the base can be taken off, and
    the thing can be set up on little blocks of wood. This means that it
    doesn't sit as high and still gets ventilation.

    Second best feature is that, unlike most monitors, the power cord does
    not fall off the back of the unit.

    I use a 19" Dell Trinitron-type at work. Maybe my Viewsonic will die
    soon .....

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Feb 13, 2004
  13. Mark

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:21:15 GMT, wrote:

    >The best feature of the monitor is that the base can be taken off, and
    >the thing can be set up on little blocks of wood. This means that it
    >doesn't sit as high and still gets ventilation.

    Am I missin' somethin' here? Aren't ALL monitors like that? lol

    >Second best feature is that, unlike most monitors, the power cord does
    >not fall off the back of the unit.

    Monitors don't generally have their power cords fall out.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
  14. Mark

    Trent© Guest

    <-flamingo.org> wrote:

    >I purchased a ViewSonic A90f+ instead of the Samsung. I had seen some
    >bad reviews about the Viewsonic (although I cannot recall what, at the
    >moment) which swayed me towards the Samsung, but while in the store the
    >Viewsonic just looked better. I've had it since Sunday and it's
    >definately a nice monitor in my use so far.
    >
    >Just thought I'd give an update.

    I saw this post too late for you, Mark.

    I've been usin' a 955DF for a coupla years now.

    Nice monitor...no problems whatsoever.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004