suggestions for DVD player purchase?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by howldog, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. howldog

    howldog Guest

    We just bought a nifty little cheap unit, Samsung DVD-VCR combo
    player. Slimline thing.

    Picture quality is OK, it does have a pretty good "letterbox
    eliminator" which, set up at Pan setting, seems to fill more of the
    screen, in a non-distorted way, than our better, more expensive Sony
    DVD.

    It doesnt rewind the VCRs worth a damn. but thats ok we'll use our old
    VCR for that until it dies.

    the problem with this Samsung is the pitiful, poorly designed remote
    for it. It's awful. I bought three other light up remotes this
    weekend, trying to find one that would communicate with the DVD
    Player. None worked. Phone call to Samsung this morning, they inform
    me, "no other remote will work". How convenient, for them!

    So, can anybody recommend a decent DVD player to buy, not that
    expensive, that has a working letterbox eliminator and can be operated
    by a light up multi-unit remote? like from Radio Shack?

    thanks

    howldog, Jul 26, 2004

  2. howldog

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 7/26/04 1:26 PM, in article ,
    "howldog" <> wrote:

    > the problem with this Samsung is the pitiful, poorly designed remote
    > for it. It's awful. I bought three other light up remotes this
    > weekend, trying to find one that would communicate with the DVD
    > Player. None worked. Phone call to Samsung this morning, they inform
    > me, "no other remote will work". How convenient, for them!
    >
    > thanks

    Most of the universal remotes that can be found pretty readily at most any
    home electronics store will have codes for Samsung products built in. You
    just select the code that matches your unit and throw the original remote in
    a drawer somewhere.

    Even if the Samsung codes aren't included, there are many so-called
    "learning remotes". I like the One For All URC-8910 personally because it's
    very capable and relatively inexpensive but other brands offer comparable
    models. These remotes can be "taught" commands from the original remote
    although the process can be a bit tedious. But, then again, once it's done
    it's done (just make sure you look for a remote with non-volatile memory -
    like the All For One - which means it won't lose its settings when the
    battery runs down).

    HTH,
    Neal

    Video Flyer, Jul 26, 2004

  3. howldog

    howldog Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:16:32 GMT, Video Flyer <> wrote:

    >On 7/26/04 1:26 PM, in article ,
    >"howldog" <> wrote:
    >

    >> the problem with this Samsung is the pitiful, poorly designed remote
    >> for it. It's awful. I bought three other light up remotes this
    >> weekend, trying to find one that would communicate with the DVD
    >> Player. None worked. Phone call to Samsung this morning, they inform
    >> me, "no other remote will work". How convenient, for them!
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    >Most of the universal remotes that can be found pretty readily at most any
    >home electronics store will have codes for Samsung products built in. You
    >just select the code that matches your unit and throw the original remote in
    >a drawer somewhere.

    negative, this did not work. we tried three different ones yesterday.
    each remote we tired COULD work with two different tv sets and two
    different VCRs, and a Sony DVD. But nothing responded to this Samsung

    >Even if the Samsung codes aren't included, there are many so-called
    >"learning remotes". I like the One For All URC-8910 personally because it's
    >very capable and relatively inexpensive but other brands offer comparable
    >models. These remotes can be "taught" commands from the original remote
    >although the process can be a bit tedious. But, then again, once it's done
    >it's done (just make sure you look for a remote with non-volatile memory -
    >like the All For One - which means it won't lose its settings when the
    >battery runs down).

    well, we tried the All for One light up thing, tried to get it to
    "learn codes" from the Sansung remote, but it could not either. Any
    attempt to learn a code merely shut the lights in the remote off.
    Weird.

    maybe we did it wrong....

    howldog, Jul 26, 2004
  4. >So, can anybody recommend a decent DVD player to buy, not that
    >expensive, that has a working letterbox eliminator and can be operated
    >by a light up multi-unit remote? like from Radio Shack?

    The only DVD players that anyone should consider are models from Sony, Pioneer,
    JVC, or Panasonic. And, DVD players ONLY. Never, ever consider another
    DVD/VCR combo from ANY brand.

    You bought a Samsung DVD/VCR combo unit. Sorry to break the bad news, but you
    bought something that has two things working against it. It's a Samsung, which
    means that it's a lousy DVD player, and it's a combo unit, meaning that it uses
    compromised transport designs to fit ten pounds of crap in a seven pound
    package.

    As for the "letterbox eliminator," you are aware that this is usually done by
    cancelling anamorphic downconversion, which makes everything look vertically
    stretched on 16:9 enhanced DVDs and/or by zooming in and cutting a good chunk
    of the frame away, eliminating visual information from the frame, on anamorphic
    and non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs.

    The "letterbox eliminator" feature is, sorry to sound harsh but there is no
    other way to put it very clearly, an ignorant solution for people ignorant on
    widescreen.

    Simply get used to the "black bars" and remember that you are watching a movie
    that is presented in its proper aspect ratio, which allows the visuals to help
    tell the story of the movie better and can allow the movie to create a more
    visceral impact to its viewers from the visuals alone since all visual elements
    will be present, instead of having 25%-60% cut away just to fill the screen
    when using that stupid feature. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 27, 2004
  5. howldog

    FAQmeister Guest

    "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > The only DVD players that anyone should consider are models from
    > Sony, Pioneer, JVC, or Panasonic. And, DVD players ONLY. Never,
    > ever consider another DVD/VCR combo from ANY brand.
    >
    > You bought a Samsung DVD/VCR combo unit. Sorry to break the bad
    > news, but you bought something that has two things working against
    > it. It's a Samsung, which means that it's a lousy DVD player, and
    > it's a combo unit, meaning that it uses compromised transport designs
    > to fit ten pounds of crap in a seven pound package.

    A combo unit has a lot of appeal, especially for a kid's room or a
    second TV, but I have one of those Samsung combo units and it's very
    picky about the DVDs it will play. I need a second DVD player just to
    play the DVDs that won't play on the first one. Kinda defeats the
    purpose.

    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Jul 27, 2004
  6. howldog

    FAQmeister Guest

    "howldog" <> wrote in message
    > We just bought a nifty little cheap unit, Samsung DVD-VCR combo
    > player. Slimline thing.
    >
    > Picture quality is OK, it does have a pretty good "letterbox
    > eliminator" which, set up at Pan setting, seems to fill more of the
    > screen, in a non-distorted way, than our better, more expensive Sony
    > DVD.
    >
    > It doesnt rewind the VCRs worth a damn. but thats ok we'll use our old
    > VCR for that until it dies.
    >
    > the problem with this Samsung is the pitiful, poorly designed remote
    > for it. It's awful. I bought three other light up remotes this
    > weekend, trying to find one that would communicate with the DVD
    > Player. None worked. Phone call to Samsung this morning, they inform
    > me, "no other remote will work". How convenient, for them!
    >
    > So, can anybody recommend a decent DVD player to buy, not that
    > expensive, that has a working letterbox eliminator and can be operated
    > by a light up multi-unit remote? like from Radio Shack?
    >
    > thanks

    I can't read the button labels without my glasses, but it doesn't take
    me long to memorize the locations of the 5-6 buttons I use all the time.
    Wouldn't that be a little easier/cheaper?

    FAQmeister, Jul 27, 2004
  7. howldog

    Mr. Plow Guest

    "howldog" <> wrote in message

    > We just bought a nifty little cheap unit, Samsung DVD-VCR combo
    > player. Slimline thing.
    >
    > Picture quality is OK, it does have a pretty good "letterbox
    > eliminator" which, set up at Pan setting, seems to fill more of the
    > screen, in a non-distorted way, than our better, more expensive Sony
    > DVD.

    Ugh. You can turn that off, you know. That way you can enjoy the ENTIRE
    picture with the letterbox format on. When you eliminate letterbox, you also
    eliminate most of the picture.

    Movies are supposed to be shown in letterbox. When is the last time you went
    to a movie theater and they were using a TV set to show the picture?

    Mr. Plow, Jul 27, 2004
  8. >A combo unit has a lot of appeal, especially for a kid's room or a
    >second TV

    But one of its appeals is not reliability. You sacrifice that for the sake of
    convenience.

    >but I have one of those Samsung combo units and it's very
    >picky about the DVDs it will play. I need a second DVD player just to
    >play the DVDs that won't play on the first one. Kinda defeats the
    >purpose.

    Pretty much. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 27, 2004
  9. howldog

    howldog Guest

    On 26 Jul 2004 23:41:05 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
    wrote:

    >>So, can anybody recommend a decent DVD player to buy, not that
    >>expensive, that has a working letterbox eliminator and can be operated
    >>by a light up multi-unit remote? like from Radio Shack?

    >The only DVD players that anyone should consider are models from Sony, Pioneer,
    >JVC, or Panasonic. And, DVD players ONLY. Never, ever consider another
    >DVD/VCR combo from ANY brand.
    >
    >You bought a Samsung DVD/VCR combo unit. Sorry to break the bad news, but you
    >bought something that has two things working against it. It's a Samsung, which
    >means that it's a lousy DVD player, and it's a combo unit, meaning that it uses
    >compromised transport designs to fit ten pounds of crap in a seven pound
    >package.
    >
    >As for the "letterbox eliminator," you are aware that this is usually done by
    >cancelling anamorphic downconversion, which makes everything look vertically
    >stretched on 16:9 enhanced DVDs and/or by zooming in and cutting a good chunk
    >of the frame away, eliminating visual information from the frame, on anamorphic
    >and non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs.
    >
    >The "letterbox eliminator" feature is, sorry to sound harsh but there is no
    >other way to put it very clearly, an ignorant solution for people ignorant on
    >widescreen.

    sorry to sound harsh, but, **** you.

    it looks fine. there were other setting available that DID look
    distorted; the pan and scan did not. we hate the letterbox. I knew i'd
    get some know it all snob replies that were no help whatsoever. go
    **** yourself.

    howldog, Jul 27, 2004
  10. howldog

    howldog Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:20:26 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    >"howldog" <> wrote in message
    >> We just bought a nifty little cheap unit, Samsung DVD-VCR combo
    >> player. Slimline thing.
    >>
    >> Picture quality is OK, it does have a pretty good "letterbox
    >> eliminator" which, set up at Pan setting, seems to fill more of the
    >> screen, in a non-distorted way, than our better, more expensive Sony
    >> DVD.
    >>
    >> It doesnt rewind the VCRs worth a damn. but thats ok we'll use our old
    >> VCR for that until it dies.
    >>
    >> the problem with this Samsung is the pitiful, poorly designed remote
    >> for it. It's awful. I bought three other light up remotes this
    >> weekend, trying to find one that would communicate with the DVD
    >> Player. None worked. Phone call to Samsung this morning, they inform
    >> me, "no other remote will work". How convenient, for them!
    >>
    >> So, can anybody recommend a decent DVD player to buy, not that
    >> expensive, that has a working letterbox eliminator and can be operated
    >> by a light up multi-unit remote? like from Radio Shack?
    >>
    >> thanks

    >I can't read the button labels without my glasses, but it doesn't take
    >me long to memorize the locations of the 5-6 buttons I use all the time.
    >Wouldn't that be a little easier/cheaper?

    the DVD player unit itself, i like well enough. we just hate the
    remote.

    the fast forward/fast reverse buttons are the same as the chapter back
    and forth. yer supposed to press and hold to get fast forward or fast
    reverse; that sends the unit into first 2xx and then progressively
    faster and faster, 8xx, with no way to stop the progression except hit
    PLAY.if you dont press and hold, you dont rewind, instead you start
    going back or forward in CHAPTERS. my wife and my kids fumble and
    curse the thing. its boneheaded beyond belief. I hate it, too.

    howldog, Jul 27, 2004
  11. howldog

    howldog Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:18:31 GMT, "Mr. Plow" <> wrote:

    >"howldog" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> We just bought a nifty little cheap unit, Samsung DVD-VCR combo
    >> player. Slimline thing.
    >>
    >> Picture quality is OK, it does have a pretty good "letterbox
    >> eliminator" which, set up at Pan setting, seems to fill more of the
    >> screen, in a non-distorted way, than our better, more expensive Sony
    >> DVD.

    >Ugh. You can turn that off, you know. That way you can enjoy the ENTIRE
    >picture with the letterbox format on. When you eliminate letterbox, you also
    >eliminate most of the picture.

    we hate the letterbox. we arent the only ones on earth. as far as i'm
    concerned, you dont miss a fricking thing. next.

    howldog, Jul 27, 2004
  12. howldog

    lugnut Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:20:24 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    >"LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    >> The only DVD players that anyone should consider are models from
    >> Sony, Pioneer, JVC, or Panasonic. And, DVD players ONLY. Never,
    >> ever consider another DVD/VCR combo from ANY brand.
    >>
    >> You bought a Samsung DVD/VCR combo unit. Sorry to break the bad
    >> news, but you bought something that has two things working against
    >> it. It's a Samsung, which means that it's a lousy DVD player, and
    >> it's a combo unit, meaning that it uses compromised transport designs
    >> to fit ten pounds of crap in a seven pound package.

    >A combo unit has a lot of appeal, especially for a kid's room or a
    >second TV, but I have one of those Samsung combo units and it's very
    >picky about the DVDs it will play. I need a second DVD player just to
    >play the DVDs that won't play on the first one. Kinda defeats the
    >purpose.

    On a semi-related note, I've got a super-cheap Polaroid-brand (I'm
    pretty sure the guts are actually an Apex, though) DVD/VCR combo that
    I've had for a little over a year now - the DVD player still works
    great, but the VCR shat itself after a month or two. I had a Samsung
    model before this one, and had the same problem there - DVD kept
    going, VCR part died quickly.

    -lugnut

    lugnut, Jul 27, 2004
  13. howldog

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 7/27/04 10:01 AM, in article ,
    "howldog" <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:18:31 GMT, "Mr. Plow" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "howldog" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> We just bought a nifty little cheap unit, Samsung DVD-VCR combo
    >>> player. Slimline thing.
    >>>
    >>> Picture quality is OK, it does have a pretty good "letterbox
    >>> eliminator" which, set up at Pan setting, seems to fill more of the
    >>> screen, in a non-distorted way, than our better, more expensive Sony
    >>> DVD.

    >> Ugh. You can turn that off, you know. That way you can enjoy the ENTIRE
    >> picture with the letterbox format on. When you eliminate letterbox, you also
    >> eliminate most of the picture.

    > we hate the letterbox. we arent the only ones on earth. as far as i'm
    > concerned, you dont miss a fricking thing. next.

    To each their own, of course. There's far too much animosity on this topic
    from both sides (at least on the DVD forums....) - just be informed is all.

    Check out www.widescreen.org for examples of just how much of a movie's
    frame can get cut off in a pan & scan version - it can be up to 45% of the
    image.

    Now, it may not matter to you that you're not seeing the whole image, if
    that's what you meant. And if so, that's your decision and no one else's.
    But you absolutely are missing something.

    What full-frame (as opposed to full-SCREEN) lovers get concerned about (I
    think) is that too many people wanting to simply fill their entire
    television screens with the image will lead to fewer films being released
    full-frame. That would be MY only concern. IMHO, I'm not sure there's any
    need for concern anymore - we may have reached a critical mass in terms of
    percentage of the DVD audience (and the faithful certainly are a noisy
    enough bunch...LOL) that the studios would stand to lose quite a bit of
    revenue if they stopped releasing widescreen versions of their films.
    Again...IMHO.

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Jul 27, 2004

    before you buy, be sure to check the unit out at epinions.com

    PL
    Paul Lefebvre
    londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca
    Visit my website!
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    Paul Lefebvre, Jul 27, 2004
  15. howldog

    el stinky Guest

    LASERandDVDfan wrote:

    > The only DVD players that anyone should consider are models from
    > Sony, Pioneer, JVC, or Panasonic. And, DVD players ONLY. Never,
    > ever consider another DVD/VCR combo from ANY brand.

    all those brands you mention, at the walmart/target level at least, are
    rebadged/manufactured at facilites that also produce the odd named cheapo
    brands you see along side them. FUNAI and SAMSUNG facilities are included.
    if you see two units with simialr features be sure to check the FCC id.
    You'd be surprised what your "name brands" really are inside.

    --
    _________________________________
    Home of the Tiltwheel

    el stinky, Jul 27, 2004
  16. howldog

    FAQmeister Guest

    "howldog" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:20:26 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "howldog" <> wrote in message
    >>> We just bought a nifty little cheap unit, Samsung DVD-VCR combo
    >>> player. Slimline thing.
    >>>
    >>> Picture quality is OK, it does have a pretty good "letterbox
    >>> eliminator" which, set up at Pan setting, seems to fill more of the
    >>> screen, in a non-distorted way, than our better, more expensive
    >>> Sony DVD.
    >>>
    >>> It doesnt rewind the VCRs worth a damn. but thats ok we'll use our
    >>> old VCR for that until it dies.
    >>>
    >>> the problem with this Samsung is the pitiful, poorly designed remote
    >>> for it. It's awful. I bought three other light up remotes this
    >>> weekend, trying to find one that would communicate with the DVD
    >>> Player. None worked. Phone call to Samsung this morning, they inform
    >>> me, "no other remote will work". How convenient, for them!
    >>>
    >>> So, can anybody recommend a decent DVD player to buy, not that
    >>> expensive, that has a working letterbox eliminator and can be
    >>> operated by a light up multi-unit remote? like from Radio Shack?
    >>>
    >>> thanks

    >> I can't read the button labels without my glasses, but it doesn't
    >> take me long to memorize the locations of the 5-6 buttons I use all
    >> the time. Wouldn't that be a little easier/cheaper?

    > the DVD player unit itself, i like well enough. we just hate the
    > remote.
    >
    > the fast forward/fast reverse buttons are the same as the chapter back
    > and forth. yer supposed to press and hold to get fast forward or fast
    > reverse; that sends the unit into first 2xx and then progressively
    > faster and faster, 8xx, with no way to stop the progression except hit
    > PLAY.if you dont press and hold, you dont rewind, instead you start
    > going back or forward in CHAPTERS. my wife and my kids fumble and
    > curse the thing. its boneheaded beyond belief. I hate it, too.

    You're right about that. It took me quite a while to get used to that
    "feature." My kids don't have a problem with it because they are pretty
    savvy, but my wife can't even remember how to turn the thing on.

    FAQmeister, Jul 27, 2004
  17. howldog

    OJ Guest

    howldog <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:18:31 GMT, "Mr. Plow" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"howldog" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> We just bought a nifty little cheap unit, Samsung DVD-VCR combo
    > >> player. Slimline thing.
    > >>
    > >> Picture quality is OK, it does have a pretty good "letterbox
    > >> eliminator" which, set up at Pan setting, seems to fill more of the
    > >> screen, in a non-distorted way, than our better, more expensive Sony
    > >> DVD.

    > >Ugh. You can turn that off, you know. That way you can enjoy the ENTIRE
    > >picture with the letterbox format on. When you eliminate letterbox, you also
    > >eliminate most of the picture.

    > we hate the letterbox. we arent the only ones on earth. as far as i'm
    > concerned, you dont miss a fricking thing. next.

    Only 1/3 of the picture. Why would you want to see that? Next...

    oj

    OJ, Jul 27, 2004
  18. "el stinky" <> wrote in message
    > LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >
    > > The only DVD players that anyone should consider are models from
    > > Sony, Pioneer, JVC, or Panasonic. And, DVD players ONLY. Never,
    > > ever consider another DVD/VCR combo from ANY brand.
    > >

    > all those brands you mention, at the walmart/target level at least, are
    > rebadged/manufactured at facilites that also produce the odd named cheapo
    > brands you see along side them. FUNAI and SAMSUNG facilities are

    included.
    > if you see two units with simialr features be sure to check the FCC id.
    > You'd be surprised what your "name brands" really are inside.

    Well Sony are not made by Sony, Liteon now make them.....

    And they are a cheap maker, but a good one
    Get got a Liteon DVDRec 5001 DVD+R[W] great unit, plays everything's & only
    $399Au

    Gary Colligan, Jul 28, 2004
  19. >all those brands you mention, at the walmart/target level at least, are
    >rebadged/manufactured at facilites that also produce the odd named cheapo
    >brands you see along side them. FUNAI and SAMSUNG facilities are included.

    Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, and Sony, regardless of model, makes their own
    standalone DVD players. They do not hire an OEM source.

    That's primarily why I chose those brands above the others. I am fully aware
    that there are brands that have hired OEM sources for DVD players, such as
    Philips using Funai and Hitachi using Samsung. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 29, 2004
  20. >Well Sony are not made by Sony, Liteon now make them.....

    For computer drives. But not set-top DVD players. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 29, 2004