    what advice can you give me... The gym is a normal gym, with fair
    lighting..Please give me some suggestions, I will be using the zoom as
    needed...Thanks Bill
    bill, Jan 6, 2004

  2. bill

    Kirk Davison Guest

    while you are at it can you also give me advice for basketball pictures with
    a Fuji s5000 Thanks
    Kirk
    "bill" <> wrote in message
    > I have a EOS D30, without an external flash, and would like your advice

    for

    Kirk Davison, Jan 6, 2004

  3. > > taking sports pics of the game of basketball. I have purchased a new
    lense
    > > 28-300 F3.5 - 6.3

    That is a lot of lens! I would expect a lot of blurry pictures until you
    get a flash unit. For sports I recommend you buy the 550EX instead of the
    420EX you're planning to buy, simply because the 500EX has more power.
    Philip Harris, Jan 6, 2004
  4. bill

    PLB49 Guest

    Coincidentally, I took my DigiReb, 55-200, and 420EX to the gym after school
    today--

    http://scienceteacher.biz/Images/bballprac.jpg

    taken from about 10' behind back boundary to about FT line--probably at about
    75mm, lowest resolution setting. Note the coach at half-court (blue half-court
    curtain is down)--I think the 420EX will be plenty of light.

    Several other shots were at closer to 55-60 mm--
    PLB49, Jan 6, 2004
  5. bill

    Good Man Guest

    (PLB49) wrote in

    > http://scienceteacher.biz/Images/bballprac.jpg
    >
    > taken from about 10' behind back boundary to about FT line--probably
    > at about 75mm, lowest resolution setting. Note the coach at
    > half-court (blue half-court curtain is down)--I think the 420EX will
    > be plenty of light.
    >
    > Several other shots were at closer to 55-60 mm--

    if i may just point out some things (please don't take them personally)
    about why that shot might be a *bad* example for someone looking to take
    basketball pics.

    - not much is in focus (maybe the orange/yellow shirted kid is, but that's
    "maybe")

    - parts of the white t-shirts are overexposed and are just areas of pure
    white

    - perhaps the shutter-speed should have been adjusted too, because the
    action isn't quite "frozen" (the ball is blurry)...

    - bad timing with the shutter; lord knows shutter lag is a drag, and one
    has to learn the idiosyncracies with their particular camera, but that
    picture would have probably been passed over for publication because most
    people's eyes are closed, in particular, the person with the ball

    ideally, when shooting sports, you don't want to resort to using flash at
    all (number 1, you don't want to disturb the athletes, and number 2, you
    don't want your whites to wash out). high ISO is the first place to start,
    then aperture and shutter speed..... experiment, experiment!!!!
    Good Man, Jan 7, 2004
  6. bill

    Good Man Guest

    "bill" <> wrote in

    > I have a EOS D30, without an external flash, and would like your
    > advice for taking sports pics of the game of basketball. I have
    > purchased a new lense 28-300 F3.5 - 6.3...I will eventually get the
    > canon 420ex, but for now what advice can you give me... The gym is a
    > normal gym, with fair lighting..Please give me some suggestions, I
    > will be using the zoom as needed...Thanks Bill

    no flash! use a high ISO, fast shutter speed, and go from there.
    Good Man, Jan 7, 2004
  7. bill

    PLB49 Guest

    >experiment, experiment!!!!

    Absolutely! This was my first "shoot" of sports with this camera--

    > not much is in focus (maybe the orange/yellow shirted kid is...)

    he is the one with the ball, after all!

    >the ball is blurry

    I like that, to imply action!

    >been passed over for publication

    I was illustrating strength of flash, only--

    >number 1, you don't want to disturb the athletes

    I have asked many of our athletes about this--NONE of them notice the flash!

    > number 2, you
    >don't want your whites to wash out

    thank goodness, we don't wear white in games!

    Appreciate the input--could you post a few of your basketball shots for my
    edification?

    Thanks!
    Paul B.
    http://www.scienceteacher.biz
    PLB49, Jan 7, 2004
  8. bill

    John S. Guest

    "bill" <> wrote in message news:<SkBKb.55729$PK3.4930@okepread01>...
    > I have a EOS D30, without an external flash, and would like your advice for
    > taking sports pics of the game of basketball. I have purchased a new lense
    > 28-300 F3.5 - 6.3...I will eventually get the canon 420ex, but for now
    > what advice can you give me... The gym is a normal gym, with fair
    > lighting..Please give me some suggestions, I will be using the zoom as
    > needed...Thanks Bill

    Just got home from the local high school basketball game... As I
    don't have an external flash I just shot with the available light in
    the gym... perhaps our gym is dimmer than most but... action shots
    were blury even with my 1.8 lens with iso 800 and iso 1600...

    The pics can be viewed at:

    http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Sports/BasketBall_01_06_04/index.htm

    hth,
    john
    John S., Jan 7, 2004
  9. bill

    EarGuy Guest

    "> "bill" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a EOS D30, without an external flash, and would like your advice

    > for
    > > taking sports pics of the game of basketball. I have purchased a new

    lense
    > > 28-300 F3.5 - 6.3

    Hoofa! That's a mightly slow lens for indoor use, especially at the long
    end. Pump your ISO as fast as possible. I'm not sure about the D30, but if
    you can, shoot in RAW and change the EV in the software later to "push" it a
    stop.

    >...I will eventually get the canon 420ex, but for now

    Using a flash in a gym BB game is sometimes frowned upon.

    > > what advice can you give me... The gym is a normal gym, with fair
    > > lighting.

    White balance before you go for your keeper shots. Otherwise they may come
    out with a green or orange hue.

    ..Please give me some suggestions, I will be using the zoom as
    > > needed...Thanks Bill

    Honestly, consider returning the 28-300 and get an 80-200 or 75-300 or
    100-300 with an f-rating of 4.5-5.6 at the long end. Granted, a 2.8 would
    be ideal, but I know we're talking cash here and long glass with a 2.8 is
    going to run into some money. Perhaps you could get a mounting adapter and
    get some inexpensive manual focus (Canon FD) long glass that will get you
    what you need.

    If you want something shorter than 75-100 and money is a concern, get the
    Canon 50mm 1.8. Cheap and excellent optics. You won't have wide-angle,
    especially with the digital SLR crop factor - is it also 1.6x like the D60,
    10D and 300D? But that 50mm lens will be a great addition to your bag.

    Good luck!

    Dave
    Earguy
    http://hometown.aol.com/earguy62/myhomepage/photo.html
    EarGuy, Jan 7, 2004
  10. bill

    ONEstar Guest

    I, too, would suggest higher ISO as well as fstop. It would add more light
    and more detail. I do animals at play which is just as tricky to catch
    action. You can check mine out and critique if you'd like.
    http://cards.webshots.com/c71791830jbqcaf

    Isis

    ONEstar, Jan 9, 2004
  11. bill

    Scott Wells

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    How to take basketball photos

    My personal belief is that indoor basketball is a case where you are going to need a nice lens. No way around it, you really need a lens with an aperture of 2.8 or better, or you will really struggle getting enough light in poorly lit gyms. You can use a smaller lens but I find the 80-200mm ideal allowing me to catch action most anywhere on the court. You might get away with a smaller lens if you can get close to the court and if you are willing to wait for the action to come to you.

    See more ideas on shooting sports at sportsphotographysuccess.com
    Scott Wells, Dec 22, 2010