    Ixus 55 camera specs:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082204canonsd450sd550.asp

    Many thanks...
    Marcus, Oct 13, 2005

  2. Having just bought the same camera, I can say I'm very pleased with the
    Kingston Elite Pro 1GB SD card. It's large enough, speedy enough & not the
    most expensive one. Another option, depending on which is cheaper, would be
    a Sandisk Ultra II card. The Ultra II's are becoming cheap enough to be the
    "de facto" choice for Sandisk cards. Both of these cards have plenty of
    performance for the Ixus.

    - Juha

    Juha =?UTF-8?B?TGluZHN0csO2bQ==?=, Oct 13, 2005

  3. "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy the Canon Ixus 55 (aka PowerShot SD450) which has
    > just come out but I'm unsure of what 512MB or 1GB SD card to buy for
    > it. I don't want the most expensive SD card with all of the bells and
    > whistles but I want something fast and reliable that will allow me to
    > take advantage of the specifications of the camera.
    >
    > The camera will be initially used when I go travelling around Asia for
    > six months at the start of 2006. I intend to upload the photos to a
    > computer (when I get the chance) and then transfer these to my gmail
    > account and a memory stick that I will be carrying.
    >
    > Ixus 55 camera specs:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082204canonsd450sd550.asp
    >
    > Many thanks...

    What capacity is your "memory stick?"

    Gerrit
    Gerrit 't Hart, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    I was thinking of getting a 1GB USB stick (if anybody can recommend a
    good one then I'm open to suggestion) and then get the same size or a
    512MB SD card. I probably will never totally fill up the SD card as I
    hope to transfer the images on a regular basis to ensure that they are
    safely backed up.

    Thanks for your comments so far...
    Marcus, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Marcus <> wrote:
    : I was thinking of getting a 1GB USB stick (if anybody can recommend a
    : good one then I'm open to suggestion) and then get the same size or a
    : 512MB SD card. I probably will never totally fill up the SD card as I
    : hope to transfer the images on a regular basis to ensure that they are
    : safely backed up.

    : Thanks for your comments so far...

    One possible concideration. If you are concidering backing up the image
    files to a CD either on the road or when you get home, you may want to
    concider coming up with a card or combination of cards that will fit
    comfortably on a 700mb CD. For example, with my camera I carry several
    pairs of cards. One 512mb card and a 128mb card in each pair. Each pair
    will fit (with a small amount of extra room) on one CD.

    If a CD backup is not intended to be in your equation, then ignore this.
    :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Oct 13, 2005
  6. "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    > I was thinking of getting a 1GB USB stick (if anybody can recommend a
    > good one then I'm open to suggestion) and then get the same size or a
    > 512MB SD card. I probably will never totally fill up the SD card as I
    > hope to transfer the images on a regular basis to ensure that they are
    > safely backed up.
    >
    > Thanks for your comments so far...

    A 1Gb USB thumbdrive can only fit the contents of 2 512Mb SD cards. Seems to
    me you may as well just buy a 1Gb SD card and save the expense of a
    thumbdrive and the hassles of finding a computer to do the conversion from
    SD to thumbdrive. You could consider a card reader with 20 or 30 or 40 Gb
    harddrive installed and use that.
    Have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/eytqo
    Then you need not go anywhere near a computer for your pictures.

    Gerrit
    Gerrit 't Hart, Oct 13, 2005