    Anyone have any good advice before taking the test? Any areas you should
    concentrate on? For instance, should i know i/o address's and IRQ's by
    heart, or is troubleshooting mostly on the test?
    danbnotme, Aug 1, 2005

  2. danbnotme

    Jim Guest

    "danbnotme" <> wrote in
    news:tdjHe.13750$S%5.6729@trnddc06:

    > Any areas you should concentrate on? For instance, should i know
    > i/o address's and IRQ's by heart, or is troubleshooting mostly
    > on the test?

    The CompTIA site has a place you can download the exam objectives
    (after you supply a little information):

    http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/objectives.aspx

    The objectives the relative weights of the different "domains".
    For example, Domain 1 for the hardware test, "Installation,
    Configuration, and Upgrading", is 35% of your score (keep in mind
    that, because the questions are "weighted" somehow, this doesn't
    necessarily mean that 35% of the actual questions deal with this
    objective).

    I just passed the hardware test and as best I recall/guess, the
    questionning corresponded pretty well to the percentages. I seem
    to remember at least two questions that dealt with the "i/o
    address's and IRQ's" you asked about.

    Good luck,
    Jim
    Jim, Aug 1, 2005

  3. danbnotme

    Guest

    Took test last month. Also had a few questions about IRQ's - I would
    know the major ones, don't recall any about I/O addresses. A few
    questions about telephone lines.

    Meyers A+ certification, 5th edition, best book I found. Check your
    library.
    , Aug 2, 2005
  4. danbnotme

    danbnotme Guest

    I have the fourth and fifth edition. But man, i've never worked on SCSI or
    printers and that a lot of info to soak up a 2 weeks before the test. How
    long was the test and about how many questions? Also is it writting or on a
    computer?

    danbnotme, Aug 2, 2005
  5. danbnotme

    Guest

    hey danbnot me...

    i wrote the test today and passed it , i too walked in with alot of
    irq's and i/o's in my head, they were helpful for a few questions but
    my particular test had alot on preventitive maintenace, wireless stuff
    and scsi ...im asuming the tests are ramdomized and everyones is
    different but that was my experience....... good luck with the test
    , Aug 3, 2005
  6. danbnotme

    Guest

    My test had SCSI questions. The closest I ever came to SCSI in real
    life was a HP scanner 7 years ago. Know each devices needs to be
    terminated. One question I recall asked how many devices supported on
    particular scsi setup i.e. ultra wide...

    Definately know printers. Including the entire laser process.

    Mine on computer.
    , Aug 6, 2005