Suggestions for a DVD player that can do multiple tricks (AVI on DVD+RW, region-free, etc.)?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by dgates, May 14, 2006.

  1. dgates

    dgates Guest

    There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
    machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
    never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
    machine, but I thought I'd ask.

    1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    above discs.
    3. Play all regions.
    4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    5. Record DVDs
    6. Macrovision removal.

    They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
    enough.

    TIA to anyone who can recommend a model.
    dgates, May 14, 2006

  2. dgates

    dgates Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:01:18 -0700, dgates <>
    wrote:

    >There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
    >machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
    >never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
    >machine, but I thought I'd ask.
    >
    >1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    >2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    >above discs.
    >3. Play all regions.
    >4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    >5. Record DVDs
    >6. Macrovision removal.
    >
    >They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    >machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
    >enough.

    Taking a first stab at my own question, a couple of fingers seem to be
    pointing to the Philips DVP 642 DVD/DivX Player:

    http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/dvp642.html

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYM3G

    If I'm reading correctly, I can buy ANY Philips DVP642... including
    this one:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000204SWE

    and then type in a simple code with the remote control to make it
    region-free. Is that correct?
    dgates, May 14, 2006

  3. "dgates" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:01:18 -0700, dgates <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
    >>machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
    >>never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
    >>machine, but I thought I'd ask.
    >>
    >>1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    >>2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    >>above discs.
    >>3. Play all regions.
    >>4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    >>5. Record DVDs
    >>6. Macrovision removal.
    >>
    >>They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    >>machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
    >>enough.

    > Taking a first stab at my own question, a couple of fingers seem to be
    > pointing to the Philips DVP 642 DVD/DivX Player:
    >
    > http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/dvp642.html
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYM3G
    >
    > If I'm reading correctly, I can buy ANY Philips DVP642... including
    > this one:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000204SWE
    >
    > and then type in a simple code with the remote control to make it
    > region-free. Is that correct?

    My current DVD player a Norcent DP-501M can do the first four. Although it
    seems a bit buggy at times. I've been looking to replace it with a model
    that in addition to playing DivX and upconverting can also record. I tried
    a RCA 8060N but was very dissatisfied with its ability to playback DivX
    files. Now I'm considering a Toshiba D-R5 or Samsung R145.
    Arthur Lipscomb, May 14, 2006
  4. dgates

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "dgates" <> wrote in message

    > There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
    > machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
    > never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
    > machine, but I thought I'd ask.
    >
    > 1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    > 2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    > above discs.
    > 3. Play all regions.
    > 4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    > 5. Record DVDs
    > 6. Macrovision removal.
    >
    > They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    > machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
    > enough.
    >

    > TIA to anyone who can recommend a model.

    Philips DVP 642.

    Does .avi, divx, mp3, just about anything you can throw at it.

    Only bad thing I can say about the unit is that its max FF speed is 8X.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, May 14, 2006
  5. dgates

    dgates Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 13:13:13 -0700, "Arthur Lipscomb"
    <> wrote:

    >"dgates" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:01:18 -0700, dgates <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
    >>>machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
    >>>never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
    >>>machine, but I thought I'd ask.
    >>>
    >>>1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    >>>2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    >>>above discs.
    >>>3. Play all regions.
    >>>4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    >>>5. Record DVDs
    >>>6. Macrovision removal.
    >>>
    >>>They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    >>>machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
    >>>enough.

    >> Taking a first stab at my own question, a couple of fingers seem to be
    >> pointing to the Philips DVP 642 DVD/DivX Player:
    >>
    >> http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/dvp642.html
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYM3G
    >>
    >> If I'm reading correctly, I can buy ANY Philips DVP642... including
    >> this one:
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000204SWE
    >>
    >> and then type in a simple code with the remote control to make it
    >> region-free. Is that correct?

    >My current DVD player a Norcent DP-501M can do the first four. Although it
    >seems a bit buggy at times. I've been looking to replace it with a model
    >that in addition to playing DivX and upconverting can also record. I tried
    >a RCA 8060N but was very dissatisfied with its ability to playback DivX
    >files. Now I'm considering a Toshiba D-R5 or Samsung R145.

    A quick peek at Amazon tells me that the Toshiba D-R5 and Samsung R145
    machines will meet desires #1 and #2 (play DVD+RWs full of DivX files)
    and desire #5 (record DVDs).

    I can't, however, tell if either of them is region free.

    If so, then one of these could be the first machine I've bumped into
    to do all 5 of my main 5 goals.
    dgates, May 15, 2006
  6. dgates

    Goro Guest

    dgates wrote:
    > There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
    > machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
    > never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
    > machine, but I thought I'd ask.
    >
    > 1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    > 2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    > above discs.
    > 3. Play all regions.
    > 4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    > 5. Record DVDs
    > 6. Macrovision removal.
    >
    > They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    > machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
    > enough.
    >

    > TIA to anyone who can recommend a model.

    Oppo.

    http://oppodigital.com/

    -goro-
    Goro, May 15, 2006
  7. dgates

    Glassman Guest

    "dgates" <> wrote in message

    I just got the Philips 642 for $49 at Circuit City. I can't tell you how
    thrilled I am to be able to play my millions of downloaded .AVI's, .DIVX,
    ..MPG's from CDR's & DVD's that I used to be forced to watch on my computer
    monitor. It plays everything I have, even stuff from over 5 years ago. I
    put Season 4 .avi's of "24", on 2 DVD's and the quality is near DVD on my
    old 32" TV! The only thing I can't answer is your HDTV question.

    --

    JK Sinrod
    www.sinrodstudios.com
    Glassman, May 17, 2006
  8. dgates

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > Philips DVP 642.
    >
    > Does .avi, divx, mp3, just about anything you can throw at it.
    >
    > Only bad thing I can say about the unit is that its max FF speed is 8X.

    I'll add another vote for the 642. It does play everything, though
    I've had a few problems with *some* downloaded .avis.

    My only other nitpick is that it takes about 45 seconds to boot up a
    DVD, even an official store-bought movie. At least on mine, that is.
    SoHillsGuy, May 17, 2006
  9. dgates

    dgates Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:47:13 -0400, "Glassman" <>
    wrote:

    >"dgates" <> wrote in message
    >
    > I just got the Philips 642 for $49 at Circuit City. I can't tell you how
    >thrilled I am to be able to play my millions of downloaded .AVI's, .DIVX,
    >.MPG's from CDR's & DVD's that I used to be forced to watch on my computer
    >monitor. It plays everything I have, even stuff from over 5 years ago. I
    >put Season 4 .avi's of "24", on 2 DVD's and the quality is near DVD on my
    >old 32" TV! The only thing I can't answer is your HDTV question.

    I see the $49 price at Circuit City as well.

    Just to confirm: The model I can walk into my local Circuit City and
    buy... That's the same model that will play DivX AVI files and DVDs
    from other regions?

    Thanks again.
    dgates, May 18, 2006
  10. dgates

    Jeff Rife Guest

    dgates () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > 1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    > 2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    > above discs.
    > 3. Play all regions.
    > 4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    > 5. Record DVDs
    > 6. Macrovision removal.
    >
    > They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    > machine can do all of the above.

    I do all of this with my PC, which outputs 1080i to my HDTV. I currently
    use component video, but could use DVI/HDMI if my old HDTV had that
    input.

    I use AnyDVD to remove Macrovision (although it doesn't really matter
    with this sort of setup), allow playback of any region DVDs, and a bunch
    of other good things (like jumping past the previews straight to the
    movie). Just about any decent dual/double layer DVD±RW drive will do
    all you want in terms of playback and recording.

    Admittedly, it's more expensive than a DVD player, but it's the only
    device I know that can do all of this trivially, especially the upconvert
    of DVD to HD. And, it can be done decently for around $600. The extra
    money will get you things like browsing the web on your HDTV, really
    immersive games, etc., that a standalone DVD player just can't do.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, May 18, 2006
  11. dgates

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    dgates () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > 1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    > 2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    > above discs.
    > 3. Play all regions.
    > 4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    > 5. Record DVDs
    > 6. Macrovision removal.
    >
    > They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    > machine can do all of the above.

    I do all of this with my PC, which outputs 1080i to my HDTV. I currently
    use component video, but could use DVI/HDMI if my old HDTV had that
    input.

    I use AnyDVD to remove Macrovision (although it doesn't really matter
    with this sort of setup), allow playback of any region DVDs, and a bunch
    of other good things (like jumping past the previews straight to the
    movie). Just about any decent dual/double layer DVD±RW drive will do
    all you want in terms of playback and recording.

    Admittedly, it's more expensive than a DVD player, but it's the only
    device I know that can do all of this trivially, especially the upconvert
    of DVD to HD. And, it can be done decently for around $600. The extra
    money will get you things like browsing the web on your HDTV, really
    immersive games, etc., that a standalone DVD player just can't do.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/PizzaDelivery.gif

    I own the DVP-642, and I also use AnyDVD and Cloddy (the two best programs
    on the market).

    The DVP-642 will be the best $50 you ever spend.

    No need for a more expensive model.

    The DVP-642 does CloneDVD2, PAL or NTSC, Region Free, plays about any format
    you throw at it, does MPEG, has Composite, S-video and Component out,
    digital optical out, and works like a charm.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, May 18, 2006
  12. dgates

    Jeff Rife Guest

    NoNoBadDog! () wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    [please snip signatures in followups]

    > I own the DVP-642, and I also use AnyDVD and Cloddy (the two best programs
    > on the market).

    With AnyDVD, there is no need for any other program. It opens up the
    disc so that any regular program can do anything you want to the data.

    > The DVP-642 does CloneDVD2,

    You mean it's a DVD writer as well, and will copy CSS-encrypted disks?
    OK, that would be worth $50.

    > PAL or NTSC, Region Free, plays about any format
    > you throw at it, does MPEG, has Composite, S-video and Component out,
    > digital optical out, and works like a charm.

    But, no DVI or upconversion. And, when MPEG-5 comes out, you'll need
    to buy another box, while a computer can just download a codec.

    --
    Jeff Rife | Sam: What d'ya say to a beer, Normie?

    Jeff Rife, May 18, 2006
  13. dgates

    Glassman Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    dgates () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > 1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    > 2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    > above discs.
    > 3. Play all regions.
    > 4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    > 5. Record DVDs
    > 6. Macrovision removal.
    >
    > They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    > machine can do all of the above.

    I do all of this with my PC, which outputs 1080i to my HDTV. I currently
    use component video, but could use DVI/HDMI if my old HDTV had that
    input.

    Of course we all have PC's to do all this. Our issue is different. We want
    to play the files in a different room, on a far away TV set as well. If you
    live in a studio or your MAIN TV monitor is attached to your computer, then
    you don't have a need for a stand alone.

    Glassman, May 19, 2006
  14. dgates

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Glassman () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I do all of this with my PC, which outputs 1080i to my HDTV. I currently
    > use component video, but could use DVI/HDMI if my old HDTV had that
    > input.

    [please learn how to quote...you didn't write the above, but your post
    makes it look like you did]

    > Of course we all have PC's to do all this. Our issue is different. We want
    > to play the files in a different room, on a far away TV set as well. If you
    > live in a studio or your MAIN TV monitor is attached to your computer, then
    > you don't have a need for a stand alone.

    There isn't a TV that can be hooked up to a standalone DVD player that
    can't also be hooked up to a PC.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, May 19, 2006
  15. dgates

    Leadfoot Guest

    "dgates" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:47:13 -0400, "Glassman" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"dgates" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I just got the Philips 642 for $49 at Circuit City. I can't tell you
    >> how
    >>thrilled I am to be able to play my millions of downloaded .AVI's, .DIVX,
    >>.MPG's from CDR's & DVD's that I used to be forced to watch on my computer
    >>monitor. It plays everything I have, even stuff from over 5 years ago. I
    >>put Season 4 .avi's of "24", on 2 DVD's and the quality is near DVD on my
    >>old 32" TV! The only thing I can't answer is your HDTV question.

    > I see the $49 price at Circuit City as well.
    >
    > Just to confirm: The model I can walk into my local Circuit City and
    > buy... That's the same model that will play DivX AVI files and DVDs
    > from other regions?

    The only drawback to the DVP642 is that there is known problem of a PS
    capacitor blowing aftter 4 months to a year and half of use.

    Search DVP642 + Blinking

    Then again after mine went out with the blinking light after a year and half
    and after doing some research I went back and bought another DVP642 at
    CompUSA last week for 65$ w/tax.

    For 65$ considering what I know it will do I thought the risk was worth it
    and "maybe" they have it fixed

    Leadfoot, May 20, 2006
  16. dgates

    dgates Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 18:05:16 -0700, "Leadfoot" <>
    wrote:

    >"dgates" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:47:13 -0400, "Glassman" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"dgates" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I just got the Philips 642 for $49 at Circuit City. I can't tell you
    >>> how
    >>>thrilled I am to be able to play my millions of downloaded .AVI's, .DIVX,
    >>>.MPG's from CDR's & DVD's that I used to be forced to watch on my computer
    >>>monitor. It plays everything I have, even stuff from over 5 years ago. I
    >>>put Season 4 .avi's of "24", on 2 DVD's and the quality is near DVD on my
    >>>old 32" TV! The only thing I can't answer is your HDTV question.

    >> I see the $49 price at Circuit City as well.
    >>
    >> Just to confirm: The model I can walk into my local Circuit City and
    >> buy... That's the same model that will play DivX AVI files and DVDs
    >> from other regions?
    >>

    >The only drawback to the DVP642 is that there is known problem of a PS
    >capacitor blowing aftter 4 months to a year and half of use.
    >
    >Search DVP642 + Blinking
    >
    >Then again after mine went out with the blinking light after a year and half
    >and after doing some research I went back and bought another DVP642 at
    >CompUSA last week for 65$ w/tax.
    >
    >For 65$ considering what I know it will do I thought the risk was worth it
    >and "maybe" they have it fixed

    Well, I went out and bought it.

    I drove to Circuit City figuring "Hey, for $49, I'll try it." It
    turned out it was $69 when you buy it from a Circuit City walk-in
    store, but by then I had driven over, walked in and wanted to have
    bought it from a walk-in store in case I wanted an easy return.

    I see there is some known "blinking" problem that might happen in a
    year, and that, to those who have used a soldering gun in the last 20
    years, it's not that hard to fix. My guess is that, if mine blows
    out, I won't try to learn how to fix it. I'll either buy a new one or
    buy another model or something.

    I was very surprised to find that I got a BETTER picture playing a
    DVD-R with 13 hour-long AVI files than I did playing a DVD-R in which
    I had used Sonic LE to burn only 2 of those files as movie files. (I
    might be too tired to be explaining this well.)

    I typed in the code to make it region-free ("7 8 9 OK 0" on the remote
    control with an open tray) and it worked. I can now play my Region 2
    Jonathan Creek DVDs.

    I'm still deciding what I think of it. I've had a couple other DVD
    players that did some tricks (an Apex and a Yamakawa, both
    region-free), and it just seems that "tricky" DVD players also seem to
    have less friendly interfaces.

    There are some oddities here and there. For example, speed-searching
    around within an AVI file isn't nearly as easy as it is on a regular
    movie DVD using my Sony player. And it only displays the first 11
    characters of filenames.

    But the only reason I'm even bumping into these problems is: I have a
    DVD player that can play AVI files! :)

    So, we'll see how long the machinery lasts. We'll see if I get better
    at speedsearching with it. But for now, I'm happy to be able to play
    every format I can think of in this little player.
    dgates, May 20, 2006
  17. dgates

    Willem Guest

    Lookin for a Cyberhome model 4010. Great machine!
    fully regiofree (do it at your self) 60 euro`s in the Nederlands

    gr Willem

    "dgates" <> schreef in bericht

    > There are a few things that I'd like to be able to do with my DVD
    > machine, most of which I've been able to do with past machines, but
    > never all at once. I don't think I can get all of these in one
    > machine, but I thought I'd ask.
    >
    > 1. Play DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW
    > 2. Play AVI files (probably DivX) straight off a CD-R or one of the
    > above discs.
    > 3. Play all regions.
    > 4. Be ready for our HDTV we'll be buying in a couple of months.
    > 5. Record DVDs
    > 6. Macrovision removal.
    >
    > They're listed in the order of importance. I'd love to hear that one
    > machine can do all of the above. If not, 1 through 4 should be
    > enough.
    >

    > TIA to anyone who can recommend a model.

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu
    Willem, May 20, 2006
  18. dgates

    Leadfoot Guest

    > I see there is some known "blinking" problem that might happen in a
    > year, and that, to those who have used a soldering gun in the last 20
    > years, it's not that hard to fix. My guess is that, if mine blows
    > out, I won't try to learn how to fix it. I'll either buy a new one or
    > buy another model or something.

    I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron. I thought 65$ was a lot easier than
    finding the capacitor and taking it apart and putting it back together.
    Leadfoot, May 22, 2006
  19. dgates

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 17:28:32 -0700, "Leadfoot" <>
    Gave us:

    >I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.

    Bwuahahahahahahaha!
    Roy L. Fuchs, May 22, 2006
  20. dgates

    Glassman Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message

    > There isn't a TV that can be hooked up to a standalone DVD player that
    > can't also be hooked up to a PC.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife

    Jeff try to keep up to speed here. We don't want to pick up our PC or TV
    and get them together to watch a movie. We want to have a separate unit on
    top of our big TV, so we don't need to keep moving them around or running
    50' cables from one room to the next. The simple solution is to use a
    standalone DIVX player in the other room that doesn't have a PC, but does
    have a nice big TV set.

    Glassman, May 23, 2006