Suggestions for a Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by baumgrenze, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. baumgrenze

    baumgrenze Guest

    Hello

    I was ready to upgrade from my sturdy little Powershot A20 to a higher
    number Canon Powershot until I began reading about the E18 error and
    class action suit.

    I'd like to stay with CF cards. I have a reader and several cards.

    I'd like a camera with a workable manual focus. From time to time I
    want to take a photo of a flower on the end of a stem and have it, not
    the background in focus. Does anyone make a camera that lets you set
    the focal length based on your estimate of the actual distance, or at
    least provide feedback in terms of an actual number?

    Based on my experience with the A20, I also like AA NiMH batteries.

    Have any users got suggestions for a camera that I can buy?

    Alternatively, will the day ever arrive when I can install a back on my
    OM-1 or OM-4 body, a back that contains a CCD, a compartment for 4 AA
    batteries, a CF card holder, and the circuitry to process an image and
    store it? It would be nice to use all that hardware again, but without
    film, especially now that Kodak is abandoning the film business and
    Kodachrome 25 is history.

    Thanks,

    Baumgrenze

    baumgrenze, Feb 20, 2006

  2. baumgrenze wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I was ready to upgrade from my sturdy little Powershot A20 to a higher
    > number Canon Powershot until I began reading about the E18 error and
    > class action suit.
    >
    > I'd like to stay with CF cards. I have a reader and several cards.

    I would suggest that picking a camera based on that would not be a good
    idea. You are likely to eliminate some fine cameras and likely the best one
    for you but doing so. Don't ignore a camera because of the media, just
    consider home much that feature is worth to you and add it into the bag of
    considerations. :)

    > I'd like a camera with a workable manual focus. From time to time I
    > want to take a photo of a flower on the end of a stem and have it, not
    > the background in focus. Does anyone make a camera that lets you set
    > the focal length based on your estimate of the actual distance, or at
    > least provide feedback in terms of an actual number?

    Most if not all the dSLR's fit that requirement. I would also suggest
    that an SLR will have some great macro lenses available and a TTL focusing
    so you can see what is in focus before you shoot. Of course they are going
    to cost a little more. However some of the lower end models have a lot to
    offer with not that high a cost. Check out the Canon Rebel models or the
    equivalent in other brands.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 20, 2006

  3. baumgrenze

    DHB Guest

    On 19 Feb 2006 23:49:33 -0800, "baumgrenze" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I was ready to upgrade from my sturdy little Powershot A20 to a higher
    >number Canon Powershot until I began reading about the E18 error and
    >class action suit.
    >
    >I'd like to stay with CF cards. I have a reader and several cards.

    Here I too agree with the other person that responded &
    suggested not limiting your search to a camera with CF memory only.
    There are some that meet all of your needs but many more & newer
    models, especially those that use SD memory might better serve you.

    >I'd like a camera with a workable manual focus. From time to time I
    >want to take a photo of a flower on the end of a stem and have it, not
    >the background in focus. Does anyone make a camera that lets you set
    >the focal length based on your estimate of the actual distance, or at
    >least provide feedback in terms of an actual number?

    This part is fairly simple especially for a P&S type camera
    which generally has a much wider DOF (Depth Of Field) than larger
    lens/senor cameras such a DSLR.

    The trick is 2 fold.

    1> Buy a P&S camera with manual focus capability.

    2> Buy a camera that also has a "Custom" mode which will
    record all of your setting in that mode. This will allow you to
    instantly reconfigure your camera to your favorite settings for the
    type of "Custom" photography that you want to do. The beauty of a
    "Custom" mode is that most cameras with it will recall even MF
    settings & zoom lens position as well as the usual other settings.

    If you want to stay with Canon, I believe the A95 was the last
    camera they made that meets all of "your" desired needs & has a
    "Custom" mode.

    If you your willing to part with CF compatibility, the A610 or
    A620 would be worth considering. They both have all of the above but
    use SD flash memory cards. Canon has converted their entire P&S line
    over to SD memory, its is now cost competitive with CF & available in
    2GB size cards from several manufacturers.

    There are very likely other manufactures that meet all of the
    above requirements with current models but off-hand I don't know which
    they are but this link should help you locate them:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    Also here is a link that you may find well worth a look even
    though it talks about the Canon A80, the principles are basically the
    same & I found it very helpful. Since many P&S cameras have
    difficulty focusing or are at least slow to focus in low light, this
    method of setting the camera up in a "hyper-focal" type mode works
    wonders & greatly reduces shutter lag time too!

    http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index7.html#SNAP

    >Based on my experience with the A20, I also like AA NiMH batteries.
    >
    >Have any users got suggestions for a camera that I can buy?
    >
    >Alternatively, will the day ever arrive when I can install a back on my
    >OM-1 or OM-4 body, a back that contains a CCD, a compartment for 4 AA
    >batteries, a CF card holder, and the circuitry to process an image and
    >store it? It would be nice to use all that hardware again, but without
    >film, especially now that Kodak is abandoning the film business and
    >Kodachrome 25 is history.

    Very unlikely because the profit to expense ratio would not be
    in the manufactures favor. Too small of a "potential" market, sorry.

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Baumgrenze

    Best of luck, I hope what I offered helps you or somebody.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Feb 20, 2006
  4. baumgrenze

    Marvin Guest

    baumgrenze wrote:

    > Alternatively, will the day ever arrive when I can install a back on my
    > OM-1 or OM-4 body, a back that contains a CCD, a compartment for 4 AA
    > batteries, a CF card holder, and the circuitry to process an image and
    > store it? It would be nice to use all that hardware again, but without
    > film, especially now that Kodak is abandoning the film business and
    > Kodachrome 25 is history.

    It is possible, but not likely.

    Marvin, Feb 20, 2006
  5. baumgrenze

    baumgrenze Guest

    It appears I should have included a link after my first paragraph. Here
    it is, with the first bit of text on the web page.

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/canon_class.html

    Canon Named in Class Action Suit
    Company Ignored Defect in Digital Cameras, Suit Charges
    September 13, 2005

    A defect in a product is one thing. A failure to deal with it is far
    more serious. They should never have let things get to this point.

    baumgrenze

    baumgrenze, Feb 20, 2006
  6. baumgrenze wrote:
    > It appears I should have included a link after my first paragraph.
    > Here it is, with the first bit of text on the web page.
    >
    > http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/canon_class.html
    >
    > Canon Named in Class Action Suit
    > Company Ignored Defect in Digital Cameras, Suit Charges
    > September 13, 2005
    >
    > A defect in a product is one thing. A failure to deal with it is far
    > more serious. They should never have let things get to this point.
    >
    > baumgrenze

    I wonder who's behind that site? It does not appear to be any
    government agency. I wonder how accurate the information may be.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 20, 2006
  7. baumgrenze

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 20 Feb 2006 09:42:59 -0800, "baumgrenze" <>
    wrote:

    >It appears I should have included a link after my first paragraph. Here
    >it is, with the first bit of text on the web page.
    >
    >http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/canon_class.html
    >
    > Canon Named in Class Action Suit
    >Company Ignored Defect in Digital Cameras, Suit Charges
    >September 13, 2005
    >
    >A defect in a product is one thing. A failure to deal with it is far
    >more serious. They should never have let things get to this point.
    >
    >baumgrenze

    A universal response to the claim that the user did someting wrong is,
    "No, I didn't."
    Just like the response by many notables when accused of just about
    anything from drug use to DUI to child molestation: "No, I didn't."
    I'm sure some of them actually didn't. But most are found guilty, or
    make a bargain whilke protesting innocence.
    In this case, "probably" Canon has a problem. But I don't see a class
    action suit as much more than money makers for lawyers.

    Here, you can have the soap box back...
    :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Feb 20, 2006
  8. baumgrenze

    baumgrenze Guest

    Mea Culpa.

    Thank you Joseph Meehan for raising the question, "I wonder who's
    behind that site?"

    I did a search and learned the following information once constituted a
    'bottom of the home page disclaimer' on their website. It is no longer
    there.

    "Consumer Affairs.Com is a service of The Oakton Press, Inc., in
    association with the Law Offices of Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates,
    Ltd., licensed to practice in Illinois. ConsumerAffairs.Com is an
    independent service not affiliated with any government agency. The
    information on this Website is general in nature and is not intended as
    a substitute for competent legal advice. The Oakton Press makes no
    representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided
    and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use
    thereof. See About ConsumerAffairs.Com for more information. "

    A search of their website shows that Horwitz et. al. are the attorneys
    who have filed on many of the prominent complaints featured on the
    website. They are not the only firm to file against Canon with regard
    to E18.

    In their current FAQ Consumer Affairs.Com says:

    Are you hooked up with lawyers in some way?

    Yes, lawyers read all of the complaints submitted to us by consumers.
    They then advise us, the editors, to help us figure out which
    complaints reflect illegal activity, which are just distasteful, etc.
    On occasion, the lawyers will find something that they believe could
    form the basis of a class action suit on behalf of consumers. They then
    research the issue and, now and then, file suit against the
    perpetrator. Since our founding, hundreds of class action suits have
    been filed on behalf of consumers. We are not a party to those actions
    and do not profit from them.

    A friend of mine sent you a complaint, then the company took care of
    him but you didn't remove his complaint. Why not?

    First of all, when a complaint is filed it becomes our property, as
    clearly stated on the complaint form. We are under no obligation to the
    consumer who sent it to us to remove it just because he changes his
    mind. To be blunt, this is not an extortion service. If you send us a
    complaint about the Bucket of Bolts Store and the store owner then
    sends you a truckload of bolts, that's great for you -- but what about
    all the other poor boltless wonders he took advantage of? Sorry, that's
    not what we're here for.

    Caveat emptor - both with regard to E18 and consumeraffairs.com.

    baumgrenze

    baumgrenze, Feb 21, 2006
  9. baumgrenze

    Skip M Guest

    "baumgrenze" <> wrote in message
    > Mea Culpa.
    >
    > Thank you Joseph Meehan for raising the question, "I wonder who's
    > behind that site?"
    >
    > I did a search and learned the following information once constituted a
    > 'bottom of the home page disclaimer' on their website. It is no longer
    > there.
    >
    > "Consumer Affairs.Com is a service of The Oakton Press, Inc., in
    > association with the Law Offices of Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates,
    > Ltd., licensed to practice in Illinois. ConsumerAffairs.Com is an
    > independent service not affiliated with any government agency. The
    > information on this Website is general in nature and is not intended as
    > a substitute for competent legal advice. The Oakton Press makes no
    > representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided
    > and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use
    > thereof. See About ConsumerAffairs.Com for more information. "
    >
    > A search of their website shows that Horwitz et. al. are the attorneys
    > who have filed on many of the prominent complaints featured on the
    > website. They are not the only firm to file against Canon with regard
    > to E18.

    Horowitz and Horowitz, if this is the firm I remember, have raised the class
    action "lawsuit" (read: shakedown) to an art form. Forbes had an article on
    them a few years ago. They hit large firms with nuisance suits that are
    cheaper for the companies to settle than to contest. And, big surprise, the
    firm of Horowitz and Horowitz takes the lions' share of the settlement.
    After all, they have all those billable hours...
    Often, an impact is responsible for jamming the lens, so it won't extend,
    causing the Err18.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com