suggestion reqd for buying AMD64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Vikas Panchal, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. Hi Folks,

    I am planning to buy a new machine in a couple of days. Before shifting to
    AMD Athlon 64, I had few doubts in mind. Your suggestion/advice highly
    appreciable...

    Is there any hardware or software compatibility issue with AMD Athlon 64bit?
    Are there any problems of compatibility with existing hardware? I had
    PixelView PlayTV Pro TV tuner card, it has 32-bit drivers. Would it work
    fine? Can I install WinXP 32-bit and WinXP 64-bit both simultaneously. I
    hope with WinXP 32-bit everything should be fine, no issues. But, how much
    will be the performance gain in case of WinXP 32-bit on 64bit hardware?

    What things to look for while buying an AMD64 from a local
    assembler/reseller? How much memory should I go for, 2 GB? Is that fine or
    an overkill?

    -Regards

    Vikas P

    Vikas Panchal, Jul 10, 2005

  2. With regular, 32-bit, Windows XP Professional, you will simply have a good
    processor -- it won't utilize anything 64-bit at all. No driver differences
    from the XP that you're used to, since it is the same. OTOH, if you were to
    install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, you very well might have
    problems with drivers. Please, do your research BEFORE you do the
    installation and make an informed decision.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Vikas Panchal

    Peter Lawton Guest

    You'd certainly have no problems buying an Athlon64 machine now and running
    32bit XP on it, if you decide run 64bit XP then check you can get drivers
    for all your hardware.

    32bit XP runs very fast on an Athlon 64, running 32bit apps it's possibly
    slightly faster than 64bit XP. 1Gb RAM is enough for most people, but if you
    play a lot of games or run image editing software then 2Gb is probably
    better.

    It's best to go for a socket 939 board as this will allow you to get a dual
    core processor, or upgrade to one later.

    You could dual boot 32bit and 64bit XP for a while, using the MS trial copy
    of x64 XP, otherwise you'd have to license both (even though you can only
    run one at a time)

    I'm running 64bit XP here and very happy with it, the only hardware I can't
    get drivers for yet is a multi-function Epson printer, an old Creative Web
    Cam and my Microsoft intellimouse (the extra buttons don't work). The SATA
    RAID, networking and audio are all built on my MoBo and have 64bit drivers.

    You'd have to search round for 64bit AV software, but it is available, Avast
    and CA at least do one for home users, Symantec and McAfee only do corporate
    versions so far that I know of .

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jul 10, 2005
  4. Vikas Panchal

    John Barnes Guest

    As suggested do your homework. Dual boot with the trial version is the best
    way to do that. In addition to the driver problems, I have numerous
    software problems, won't install, install and partially work or don't work.

    John Barnes, Jul 10, 2005
  5. Here is a link to the trial, free download:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 10, 2005
  6. I opted for a side-by-side setup with my old P4 machine rather than dual
    booting, so I bought into dual core and 64-bits from the start. So far I am
    pleased. It depends on your options for setting up a new system, but if you
    are keeping the old one around anyway, your options are wide open. I plan
    on taking the next six months to expand the software installation base as
    native 64-bit options appear. I have had no problems running my
    productivity software. Just lucky I guess. One area that almost requires
    32-bit Windows is scanning and content creation.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 10, 2005
  7. Yes, the transition from 32bit to 64bit right now will be slow because a lot
    of applications are there yet in terms of 100% compatibility. But as time
    goes by both applications and hardware will be more natively supported out
    of box, I suspect it will begin around fall to late 2005 and take off in
    2006.

    Right now though, its good to know that the basics are already in place such
    as productivity software which most businesses are using a majority of the
    time. Games seem to be accepting of x64 and will get better. x64 definitely
    has bright future and I almost forgot, a lot of users will make major
    transitions when apps like Virtual PC are ready.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 10, 2005
  8. Virtual Server SP1 will make it later this year, but MS is completely silent
    about a time frame for VPC64. One would think it would be in the form of
    SP2, but I don't see it this side of the Longhorn Wave as yet.

    I think that the key is the disparity between 64-bit servers already in
    place and 64-bit desktops (in enterprises). We enthusiasts don't count
    because we buy this stuff anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 10, 2005
  9. I remember reading last year I think on Microsoft-Watch that Microsoft was
    planning on bring out a version 2 of Virtual PC I think in the fall of 2005.
    I don't know what happened since then.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 10, 2005
  10. Vikas Panchal

    James Park Guest

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1770386,00.asp

    The Route64 roadmap is quite dated (Whidbey - H1 2005 for example), so I
    wouldn't put too much hope into seeing VPC SP2 this half if at all.

    James Park, Jul 10, 2005
  11. Ahh, thats the link.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 10, 2005
  12. I am completely certain that there will be no VPC64 this year and pretty
    certain that you will not see it the first half of next year either. There
    just are not the indications of an impending product that you would expect
    to see. Right now the server side is driving virtualization technology just
    about everywhere. I don't detect a sense of urgency about the client side
    from anybody. I think the work by Intel and AMD on building the capability
    into their future cpu's cannot be underestimated in its impact on rethinking
    by the platform developers.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005
  13. Yeah, I agree, the significance of a VPC 64 Bit client is not that necessary
    since Microsoft has already outlined the target audience and the only
    persons who would really want a VPC 64 Bit is enthusiast, such as myself. Oh
    well, we got VM Ware Workstation 5.0

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005