    and then.

    Currently looking at http://www.gizmoproject.co.uk are they any good?

    Thanks
    Jimbo, Jun 8, 2006

  2. "Jimbo" <> wrote:
    >Can anyone suggest a relaiable supplier that will allow me to use it's
    >services on a pay as you go option for international calls.

    http://www.voipjet.com/ only does outgoing calls, but they seem to
    work pretty well.
    William P.N. Smith, Jun 8, 2006

  3. Jimbo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jimbo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a relaiable supplier that will allow
    > me to use it's services on a pay as you go option for
    > international calls.
    >
    > The idea is if we a have a user in an hotel with a laptop
    > and a broadband connection rather than use the hotel line
    > at an inflated rate we could use VOIP with the laptop.
    >
    > We dont want to be paying a monthly bill as it would only
    > be used now and then.
    >
    > Currently looking at http://www.gizmoproject.co.uk are
    > they any good?

    No idea but www.sipgate.co.uk offer free UK geographic numbers with no
    monthly charges and reasonable call charges (1.5p/min to US for example).

    One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of hotels charge for broadband
    access in the rooms and this may outweigh the cost of phone calls..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 9, 2006
  4. "Jimbo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a relaiable supplier that will allow me to use it's
    > services on a pay as you go option for international calls.

    I have tried both Teliax and VoipJet and they are quite OK. They support
    both SIP and IAX2 protocols.

    > The idea is if we a have a user in an hotel with a laptop and a
    > broadband connection rather than use the hotel line at an
    > inflated rate we could use VOIP with the laptop.

    It's an excellent idea.

    > We dont want to be paying a monthly bill as it would only be used now
    > and then.

    Finarea/Betamax services (SIP only, but in addition their support a
    proprietary protocol for their own softphone) do require a minimum
    prepayment of 10 euros (= ~USD 12.70 or ~GBP 6.90) plus VAT applicable in
    the customer's country (16% in UK) over periods of 120 days, but on the
    other hand they offer 300 free minutes per week (averaged over the last 7
    days) for calls to several dozens of countries (mostly, this freebie applies
    to landlines only) and their tariffs are usually quite good.

    In addition, for a few European countries (including UK) they offer incoming
    numbers free to the customer. In the UK, the caller pays a reasonably low
    rate, as those numbers start by the area code 056 which, according to BT at
    http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/00251.htm
    are billed at "g21" rate, and from what I read at
    http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/00161.htm
    this should mean less than 4.89 p/minute in peak hours (including VAT).
    Should you care, http://www.magsys.co.uk/telecom/codelook.asp says that the
    operator for those UK incoming numbers is QiComm Ltd. (www.qicomm.com ).

    The websites for the best Finarea/Betamax services are:

    www.voipcheap.com (NOT www.voipcheap.co.uk, which offers a worse deal)
    www.voipdiscount.com
    www.voipstunt.com
    www.internetcalls.com

    See also, at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA , my comparative
    table of the free destinations (which keep changing, so always double-check
    with the company websites), plus shell scripts to report the current usage
    for a given account.

    > Currently looking at http://www.gizmoproject.co.uk are they any good?

    Sorry, never tried this one...

    Cheers --

    Enzo
    Enzo Michelangeli, Jun 9, 2006
  5. "Jimbo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a relaiable supplier that will allow me to use it's
    > services on a pay as you go option for international calls.
    >
    > The idea is if we a have a user in an hotel with a laptop and a
    > broadband connection rather than use the hotel line at an inflated rate
    > we could use VOIP with the laptop.
    >
    > We dont want to be paying a monthly bill as it would only be used now
    > and then.
    >
    > Currently looking at http://www.gizmoproject.co.uk are they any good?
    >
    > Thanks

    sipdiscount.com
    plainvoip.com
    Jonathan Roberts, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Thus spaketh Enzo Michelangeli:

    > In addition, for a few European countries (including UK) they offer
    > incoming numbers free to the customer. In the UK, the caller pays a
    > reasonably low rate, as those numbers start by the area code 056
    > which.................

    If you use a UK address from a major area, such as Birmingham, London,
    Manchester etc, you will receive a local number, such as 0121, 020, 0161...

    --
    www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 9, 2006
  7. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Thanks for the info guys more intersted in making calls

    Rgds

    Jim

    Jimbo, Jun 12, 2006