    quality? Best tech support?

    Thanks for the info

    Phil
    pgx, Dec 3, 2006

  2. pgx

    John Osmon Guest

    pgx <> wrote:
    : We are moving our charitable organization office to a location served
    : by WiFi. Am considering replacing our phone/DSL internet with a
    : connection to the city's free WiFi and a Vonage/SunRocket/Net2Phone
    : subscription. We use the phone rarely, but want to keep something for
    : emergencies and occasional calls.

    : Are any of the services useable? Which is most reliable? Best voice
    : quality? Best tech support?

    Don't forget -- if the network you're using isn't working well, there
    is *no* chance for the VOIP service to work well. The WiFi service is
    likely to be the greatest limitation. Try out the services on that net
    *before* you commit to it. Also, be aware that the circumstances
    could change becuase you don't control the WiFi nework.

    VOIP services don't take a lot of bandwidth, but do require a large
    number of packets per second (pps). WiFi wasn't built to push a lot of
    pps, so isn't an ideal medium for a VOIP network. WiFi *can* be used
    for VOIP, but there are limitations that you need to be aware of that
    can influence how well it works.

    I would be leery of running a phone across a WiFi net that I didn't
    control - unless I didn't realy care if the phone worked...
    John Osmon, Dec 4, 2006

  3. pgx

    hdtv? Guest

    > We use the phone rarely, but want to keep something for
    > emergencies and occasional calls.
    >

    > Thanks for the info
    >
    > Phil

    For emergency purposes do not use VOiP. A power outage will also cause a
    telephone outage (unless you have power back up systems in place).

    Which VOiP provider? I have seen negative reports on all and there is an
    online website that rates VOiP providers.
    I have had 2 VOiP providers in 2 years and I would not recommend either.

    Telephone number portability can be a major issue, AFAIK none of the VOiP
    providers will guarantee your number will transfer.
    hdtv?, Dec 4, 2006